New York's Magic History

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Daniel Z

New York's Magic History

Postby Daniel Z » June 27th, 2018, 11:46 am

From Atlas Obscura an online article titled: An Insider’s Tour of New York’s Disappearing Magic History. https://tinyurl.com/y7sf29j3
I should add that this lengthy article features the latest Slaight Award winner Noah Levine.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: New York's Magic History

Postby I.M. Magician » June 28th, 2018, 8:50 am

Although I am not from New York, I used to go there quite often back in the late sixties and early to mid seventies. I would attend SAM meetings on occasion, go to the annual Hunter College magic show, visit my magical grandfather Al Flosso in his shop and then we would go to dinner, hang out at Tannen’s for a while, and do the magician’s Saturday lunch gathering at Rosoff’s.

Many of the people I came to know and become friends with are sadly no longer with us. There were many...

I was younger than everyone else but was always kindly accepted into whatever gathering and/or event I attended. I always appreciated being treated so well by everyone!

I thoroughly enjoyed those times and accumulated a few stories of things which took place on some of those visits.

New York’s Magic History has always been full of satisfying thoughts for me and remind me of a different era for magic before the internet, DVD’s, and rich with that old classic kind of magic and magicians.

Daniel Z

Re: New York's Magic History

Postby Daniel Z » June 28th, 2018, 3:37 pm

As a kid used to get down there every hear or two in the 60s when we'd drive to NY to visit relatives. I'd coerce my parents to take me to Tannen's and Flosso's. I still have an ashtray that I somehow purloined from Rosoffs.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”