New Chung Ling Soo book from Mike Caveney

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
caveman

New Chung Ling Soo book from Mike Caveney

Postby caveman » February 29th, 2016, 4:52 pm

At the last Los Angeles Conference on Magic History we had a fascinating talk about a recently discovered stash of original Chung Ling Soo posters. Because the posters were over-printed with another magician's name, my friend Dean Arnold set out to solve the mystery of who this mystery man was and how the posters ended up in an old barn in England. The results of his research made for an interesting talk and now, a wonderful little book. Dean asked me to turn his manuscript into a book and this is why I have a few dozen copies for sale. Once these copies are gone, I will not have more.
The title is The Fairground Soo: A Brief Biography of Alfred John Peters by Dean Arnold. It measures 6 by 9 inches, softbound, 120 pages with many illustrations in full color including all of the recently discovered posters. The story reads like a good mystery novel and touches on many previously-unrecorded areas of British magic history. The book was reviewed in the February 2016 issue of MAGIC magazine. Supplies are extremely limited. The price is $25 plus $3 postage. Follow this link to my website for more information, international postage rates, and to order a copy.
http://www.mcmagicwords.com
Thirty copies of a deluxe edition were produced. Hardbound with a custom bookmark that was adorned with an antique good-luck charm that was sold by Alf Peters at his fairground appearances. All of Dean's deluxe copies were sold at the History Conference but I have three copies of the deluxe edition available. The price is $105 postage paid in the US. If you are interested in a deluxe copy please email me at caveney@charter.net and I will let you know if you acted in time. As soon as the three copies are gone, I will add a post to this thread stating so.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New Chung Ling Soo book from Mike Caveney

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 29th, 2016, 9:51 pm

We were not given a copy to review for Genii, however despite that unspeakable slight, I still highly recommend this book. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

caveman

Postby caveman » March 4th, 2016, 2:41 am

Unforgivable! I shall remedy that ASAP. Unless when you wrote "I highly recommend this book" that was your review.

caveman

Postby caveman » March 4th, 2016, 2:42 am

All deluxe copies have been sold. Regular edition still available.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 4th, 2016, 12:35 pm

No, that wasn't my review.
A full review in Genii will be forthcoming.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”