Brian McCullagh

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kent Blackmore

Brian McCullagh

Postby Kent Blackmore » January 19th, 2014, 9:45 pm

The magic history forum seems the appropriate place to announce, with sadness, the death of Brian McCullagh from Australia, following a long decline in health.

Brian's impact on the magic scene during his years here cannot be overstated. As well as his immense enthusiasm for the Geniis Magical Society, his numerous books and research on magic history ("Sydney's Magic Heritage" is now a standard book for any historian world-wide), Brian made friends far and wide including the biggest names overseas. He was a good mate and a credit to the magic world.

Marco Pusterla

Re: Brian McCullagh

Postby Marco Pusterla » January 20th, 2014, 3:26 am

Sad to hear that: I never had the opportunity to meet/talk with Mr. McCullagh, but I have been reading his publications and using them as a research aid. Only a few weeks ago, I tried to get in touch with him, but was not surprised not to hear back.

My condolences to the family.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

JimAlfredson

Postby JimAlfredson » January 20th, 2014, 12:34 pm

What a shock to read Kent Blackmore's notification of the passing of old friend Brian McCullagh. Brian wrote a lot of splendid material, mostly on the rather neglected history of magic in Australia. A teacher by profession, Brian wrote a number of books and pamphlets on magic history, and from 1990 to 1997 edited GENII'S MAGIC JOURNAL from Sydney, a fine magazine of magic, current events, and magical history. Brian and I were regular correspondents for years, but letters had rather faded out in recent times. He was splendid company, and I enjoyed our meetings and letters. So long, old pal, you will be missed in this corner. -jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2014, 8:16 pm

A pity. Brian was a real gentleman.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » January 21st, 2014, 9:04 pm

So sorry to hear this. Brian was a contributor to the Yankee Magic Collector and we corresponded many times over the years. He was an extremely pleasant and knowledgeable man. He will be sorely missed. My thoughts are with his family...

magicam

Postby magicam » January 22nd, 2014, 1:41 am

Brian's passing is a significant loss to the magic community. Among other things, I will miss his Aussie humor and candor, and our lengthy chats over sometimes terrible phone connections! His inspiring passion for conjuring history and bibliography spurred a staggering and admirable volume of contributions to these fields. CHS

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”