Tom Selwyn-Conjuror & Expert Card Manipulator

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
mctaz

Tom Selwyn-Conjuror & Expert Card Manipulator

Postby mctaz » June 5th, 2010, 9:30 am

Hi,
I'm researching Tom Selwyn who was supposedly born in Massachusetts in May, 1878 and first performed as a magician in England at age nine. He toured the world with major companies including Dr. Bigelow's Medicine Show and Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. After being wounded in the Boer War he toured Asia and finally arrived in Australia in 1907.
He then became a theatrical agent, tutor of magic & a range of other things.
I'd be greatful for any information relating to Tom.
It seems a lot of his "factual" history seems to be illusory!

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Tom Selwyn-Conjuror & Expert Card Manipulator

Postby Joe Pecore » June 5th, 2010, 9:56 am

Here are some tidbits from MagicPedia:

The Great Levante met Tom Selwyn in Australia and became his protg

Tom Selwyn worked briefly with "Hanco the Handcuff King" until they had a disagreement.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 5th, 2010, 10:04 am

Some facts from the article "Tom Selwyn - Magician and Gentleman" by Charles Waller in Linking Ring, March 1950:

Born of British parents in Lowell, Mass on May 22, 1878

Married to Belle, no children.

Died at Hobart, Tasmania on January 26, 1950.

mctaz

Postby mctaz » June 8th, 2010, 1:50 am

Thanks for the info Joe, much obliged!
Is that article online do you know?

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 8th, 2010, 8:46 am

It is via Conjuring Arts "Ask Alexander" http://conjuringarts.org/memberships/levels-benefits/.

If you are a member of the IBM, you may have access to "ask alexander" for viewing archived Linking Rings: http://www.magician.org/portal/en/node/276

Kent Blackmore

Postby Kent Blackmore » July 15th, 2019, 6:12 am

I know this is 9 years late, but I have been also starting to accumulate some information and photographs of Tom Selwyn, with the hope of publishing at least part of his life story on my website [url]sydneymagic.net[/url] . I can't speak for his claims regarding his early touring days, which like most magicians need to be taken with a grain of salt until proven accurate. However in the early 1900s he was most certainly touring as an acrobat a magician and a strong man, while managing an escape artist. I have a number of good photographs of Tom and would be interested to know whether you made much progress on your own research.
His story is important to Australia, as he was mentor to Les Levante, Sydney Piddington and Colin 'Dexter' Palmer.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 15th, 2019, 12:08 pm

His obituary, from the Hobart (Tasmania) Mercury, 27 Jan 1950.

SELWYN. -On January 26, 1950, at Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, Lieut. Tom, dearly beloved husband of Effie Isabel Selwyn, of 99 Derwent Park Rd., Moonah, late of Roaches Beach. Late 13th and 40th Battalions, 1st A.I.F.

And a note from the Hobart World, 14 Nov 1918.

SELWVN'S SOLDIER STARS.
Mr. Tom Selwyn, late lieutenant of the 40th Battalion A.I.F., is bringing the company of returned soldiers, all vaudeville specialty artists, which opens in the Temperance Hall next Saturday evening. When in London, just prior to his return to Australia, Mr. Selwyn performed his mirthfully mystic act with his cards in aid of the Y.M.C.A. funds at the Aldwych Theatre. His remarkable abilitv obtained him many offers of metropolitan engagements which, of course, owing to military circumstances, could not he accepted. However, during convalescence in England his talent was in constant demand for the benefit of any patriotic body that assisted the boys in camp. It is the intention of Mr. Selwyn and his able company to assist the local patriotic bodies that attend to the welfare of the fighting man, past and present, in a substantial manner. This combination of clever vaudeville returned soldiers open next Saturday at the Temperance Hall, and should be assured of a good welcome.

Kent Blackmore

Postby Kent Blackmore » July 15th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Thanks, Bill. A few photos of Selwyn can be found in the Ensor scrapbooks published online at http://www.sydneymagic.net/ENSOR/ensor.html in Volumes 9 and 11 (pages 84-86, and 107)

Purplemort
Favorite Magician: Tom Selwyn

Postby Purplemort » January 16th, 2021, 2:16 am

Hello, not sure if I’d be of much help but Toms wife Belle was my GG Aunt. I have some if Toms things, his ID bracelet from the military, his bowler hats, a poster from a performance in Hobart in the early 1900’s. I don’t know a lot about his professional life more his family life and my grandmother is still alive and knew him well. Please let me know if there’s anything I might be able to help with.

mctaz

Postby mctaz » June 18th, 2023, 6:46 am

Hi, sorry about the late reply. I’ve been researching Tom for a lot of years now and I’m just about to finish a paper on his life. It would be great to discuss Tom and his life with you and share what I’ve uncovered and what I don’t know about him.

Kind Regards
Jim Rouse

Kent Blackmore

Postby Kent Blackmore » June 18th, 2023, 7:31 pm

Glad to hear your research is progressing, Jim, since we were last in touch. I'd love to hear about it when you release your work.

mctaz

Postby mctaz » June 18th, 2023, 7:38 pm

Will do Kent, still a grey area in his life when he created his persona, but still very interesting. I need to finish it asap.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”