Jack McMillan's rising card principle

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
amp

Jack McMillan's rising card principle

Postby amp » April 30th, 2010, 9:17 am

Wondering what this was and where it might be in print.
Thanks

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Jack McMillan's rising card principle

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 30th, 2010, 9:24 am

? Have you looked in Expert Card Technique?
Witchcraft Card Rise - Plunger Principle.

Paul Chosse left some fine notes on that for folks on another site - but not sure it's okay to link to CN - up to you on sharing that ChrisA.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » April 30th, 2010, 11:53 am

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 30th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Andrew, it's Method No. 11 The "Plunger" Rising Cards, by Jack McMillen, in Greater Magic, part of an excellent chapter on rising cards. Tommy Martin had a great little touch on this that John Moehring published in MUM (Sept 2008). PM me if you don't have that issue.

amp

Postby amp » May 1st, 2010, 9:36 am

Steve Bryant wrote:Andrew, it's Method No. 11 The "Plunger" Rising Cards, by Jack McMillen, in Greater Magic, part of an excellent chapter on rising cards. Tommy Martin had a great little touch on this that John Moehring published in MUM (Sept 2008). PM me if you don't have that issue.

Thanks guys. I looked up in Greater Magic. I knew what it was but did not know the name or who came up with it. In one of Fox's books Karell said he came up with idea.Guess he didn't read.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2010, 1:35 pm

Karrell claimed he came up with lots of things ...
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

amp

Postby amp » May 5th, 2010, 9:26 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Karrell claimed he came up with lots of things ...

Here's something I found out. In one of Fox's books . He has a silk to egg using a Thumb Tip. Just found out its not his idea . A man name CLARENCE T. LITTLE came up with it The Linking Ring in 1944.

dorian rhodell

Postby dorian rhodell » May 31st, 2010, 7:13 pm

Regarding the plunger principle, someone pointed out that Jack McMillen might not have invented it. Apparently, Lawrence Kam from Hawaii put an effect called the Priceless Card Rise into print in the Seven Circles Magazine. This magazine had a short run from 1931 to 1934.
Upon further research, here is what I have found so far. Jack created the Plunger Principle, along with many applications for it at the age of senventeen in 1928.
He showed J.M. Card Rise to William Larsen Sr. the same year.
William Larsen Sr. then showed the J.M. Card Rise to Bill McCaffrey who began to use it in his act and who would also go on to show it to a select group of people on the East Coast.
T. Page Wright wrote the first description of the plunger principle in 1928 for a manuscript that was never completed.

Apparently however, it did make it's way into an issue of the Sphinx in 1928.
Could someone please verify this for me?

From what I understand, the articles for the never completed manuscript written by T. Page Wright on the the plunger principle were what appeared in the 1936 issue of Genii.

Again, if someone can help me out with the earlier Sphinx reference I would appreciate it.

All my best,

Dorian Rhodell

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » June 1st, 2010, 1:05 pm

The Priceless Card Rise by Lawrence Kam is described in The Seven Circle, vol. 1, no. 6, september 1931, page 8.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » June 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm

I describe this method using an overhand shuffle in the Perverse Magic thread of this Genii Forum in January 2008

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 1st, 2010, 6:14 pm

Karrell showed me his handling of the rising cards at a Gatlinburg convention in the late 80's, early 90's. He did not claim to have invented it, I remember him framing it as "his get ready" for performing the trick. It involved having the spec point to the card in the spread (faces to them) and upjogging first the wrong card, then the correct card in an effort to confirm the selection. This got you into position for the plunger.

I do not know if that is McMillen's process. But I remember Karrell teaching "his" rise as merely a way of getting into the McMillen.

amp

Postby amp » June 2nd, 2010, 10:43 am

Brad you are right !
It's in the book,"Clever..Like A Fox". It call Sup - Rising Card but its his handing.

In Jon Racherbaumer's book Cardfixes has Late - night arising. Awesome stuff.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”