Books similiar to Phantoms of the Card Table and The Magician and the Cardsharp

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
JeffS

Books similiar to Phantoms of the Card Table and The Magician and the Cardsharp

Postby JeffS » June 18th, 2009, 8:43 pm

I am interested in the history and techniques of card cheats. I have read Phantoms of the Card Table and The Magician and the Cardsharp and enjoyed them both. I am looking for similiar books that are a blend of the techniques and the history. I have not yet read Road Hustler but I will soon. I would appreciate any suggestions along this line. I also have a copy of The Expert at the Card Table and will check out the annotated editions but right now they are a bit cost prohibitive.
So I read the riddle.

David Alexander

Re: Books similiar to Phantoms of the Card Table and The Magician and the Cardsharp

Postby David Alexander » June 18th, 2009, 9:16 pm

"Road Hustler" by Robert Prus.

Brian Morton

Re: Books similiar to Phantoms of the Card Table and The Magician and the Cardsharp

Postby Brian Morton » June 19th, 2009, 8:02 pm

FWIW: "How To Cheat Your Friends At Poker," by Penn Jillette and Mickey D. Lynn.

Penn is serving as the amanuensis for Lynn, who ostensibly is a long-time hustler and cheat. It's not pretty, it's not nice and it's sort of a biography of a card-playing sociopath, but there you are.

brian :cool:

Terry

Postby Terry » June 20th, 2009, 12:35 pm

For a really good history - 'Knights of the Green Cloth' by Robert K. DeArment, published by University of Oklahoma Press 1982.

Stepanov

Postby Stepanov » June 20th, 2009, 2:46 pm

"The man who was Erdnase".
And for deep historic research "The Fatal Effects of Gambling exemplified in the murder of Wm. Weare...", 1824. This book like previous, with search truth about gambling exident, but was many years before and not many peoples know about it. Nice compare both books...

JeffS

Postby JeffS » July 6th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Jeff
So I read the riddle.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”