Rag Pictures-Performers, Equipment

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Robert A. Olson

Rag Pictures-Performers, Equipment

Postby Robert A. Olson » October 21st, 2008, 4:14 pm

I am seeking information on anyone who is actively performing rag pictures. Also information on anyone has done rag pictures, and has sets available. I saw Roland Travers do a rag picture permfomance in the late 1950s. There was also someone on the stage show at the Atlantic City IBM-SAM convention in the late 1950s who did rag pictures and sand painting. Help in identifying his name is appreciated. I sold a Balda Catalog on rag pictures, comic cartooning, etc. to an artist who does chalk talk style lightning drawings. He is interested in seeking more information on rag pictures, suggested books, still in print, or for sale. I will send any responses to the artist. Please email me at raolson@snet.net with responses. Robert A. Olson

Dale Shrimpton

Re: Rag Pictures-Performers, Equipment

Postby Dale Shrimpton » October 22nd, 2008, 12:27 pm

the only person ive ever seen doing rag pictures, Is Amy Dawes, Eddies wife. I was in touch with an old timer states side a few years back, who also did them,but im afraid i cant recall who.

I might have the emails stored somewhere. Ill take a look tonight, or tomorow to see.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » October 24th, 2008, 5:52 am

I used to do rag pictures and I wrote up one of my routines for The Wizards' Journal #7 (on my site), but the emphasis of the article is on providing scents to go along with the story. It's called "Potpourri."
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » October 24th, 2008, 2:30 pm

I remember seeing Roberta Griffin do the rags at Abbott's. She was a great performer and really knew how to sell it.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » October 24th, 2008, 7:26 pm

[size:11pt]Hello Bob,

I have only one book on rag pictures but if you or your friend find yourself in need of rags I will be happy to allow you to go through my closets and armoire.

Help yourselves to anything that you like. :)

With the current liquidity crunch I have posted a photo taken of me enjoying my last pre-Castro Montecristo,

and the finance company is threatening to repossess my Maybach.

Things are looking pretty bleak - I made the mistake of switching the funding of my IRA, went long on Chance Wolf's Outhouses and lost my a$$.
[/size]
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » December 7th, 2008, 12:03 pm

There was a practical article by H.C. ( Bert) Mole on Constructing the necessary frame, rag types etc. & evena small piece of rhyming patter in Abra magazine Vol. 5 1948
I believe Will Goldston also published a book on this but by whom?
Wm. A Bagley, in his book One Man Show ( Vawser & Wiles 1947) also published material on Rag pictures.

Allen Tipton UK

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » December 7th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Not my field at all, but for some reason I used to have the Will Goldston book ("How to Make Sand, Smoke, and Rag Pictures"). There's a picture of it here:

http://www.martinka.net/martinka/auctio ... asp?ID=466

And one apparently for sale here:

http://www.ventfigures.com/jan2.html

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » December 8th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Balda Art Company ( I think in Wisconsin) used to supply materials for this.

Richard
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”