Magic Book Auction

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kevin Connolly

Magic Book Auction

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 15th, 2004, 6:17 pm

I was just wondering how the magic auction went today at Swann's. They had some great material this time around. It's a shame weather was so bad today. It had to have some affect on prices realized.

If you have any prices realized, please post them. Also, do you think the magic collectible market has finally stabilized? To me it seems it has with better pieces leading the way to firmer ground.

Best Always,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Michael Edwards

Re: Magic Book Auction

Postby Michael Edwards » January 24th, 2004, 1:29 pm

Kevin:

The prices realized at the Swann Galleries auction of books from Tom Blue's library are now available online. Try this link: http://www.swanngalleries.com
Michael

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 24th, 2004, 4:39 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I saw it the other day, but I didn't mention it here as I suspect there aren't many advanced collectors here.

Thanks again.....Kevin
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » January 24th, 2004, 5:23 pm

By advanced - Do you mean foolish?

Jerry Andrus DEALS YOU IN $200.00 -

Tommy Wonder BOOKS OF WONDER $450.00

Hoffman 13th edition $130.00

and we hear about eBay inflating prices!?!?

I got your advanced collectors right here!

Dave

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » January 24th, 2004, 5:59 pm

Some of Mr. Blue's books were special bound presentation copies. I spoke to him a couple years ago when buying a couple impossible to find books. While the Swann's website isn't specific in its description, I'd have to assume the Vernon Chronicles that pulled (I think) $750 were Blue's leather bound copies signed by Vernon. He mentioned that only 12 or so were made. There may be more method to the madness than the Swann's results indicate.

I'm still kicking myself because during the auction I was driving through Manhattan to get to a supplier's factory for a meeting. So close and yet so far....

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 24th, 2004, 8:26 pm

WONDER, TOMMY; and MINCH, STEPHEN. The Books of Wonder. Illustrated. 2 volumes. 8vo, leatherette; dust jackets; slipcase. one of only fifty-two numbered sets signed by the authors. (Seattle, 1996)

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 24th, 2004, 8:37 pm

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
WONDER, TOMMY; and MINCH, STEPHEN. The Books of Wonder. Illustrated. 2 volumes. 8vo, leatherette; dust jackets; slipcase. one of only fifty-two numbered sets signed by the authors. (Seattle, 1996)
This set, with a gavel price of $450 (plus buyer's premium of 15% plus shipping) was purchased by a magic book dealer, for his personal collection (not me, I don't have that kind of money!). Many of the prices at this sale are regarded as low compared to other recent sales. For example, the first edition Erdnase at "only" $900, compared with the copy Richard Kaufman had (which was signed by Vernon with some interesting provenance) which sold on eBay just a few months back for $3,200... Most of the large lots of books were purchased by magic dealers for resale, another indication that the prices realized might be regarded as low...

Sal Perrotta

Postby Sal Perrotta » January 24th, 2004, 9:47 pm

I was at the Swann auction and had the opportunity to examine many of the books. I can confirm that in more than a few cases the catalog description was very sparce and did not do justice to the books. Many were special limited additions and a few had rare dust jackets or inscriptions. None of this was mentioned in the catalog. The interesting thing to me was that a number of the serious collectors that were there thought quite a few of the prices were VERY LOW!!

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » January 25th, 2004, 1:08 am

Then I take it back

Yet another reason I should sit back and enjoy the posts rather than try and participate

Dave

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2004, 6:28 am

When I first started buying magic books, I had no idea that some of them would be far worth more than I had originally paid.

It really sunk in when my hardbound $10 copy of "Cards As Weapons" went for nearly $300 on e-bay (that is the only magic book I have sold).

I have a couple of books that could probably fetch some decent prices but I think I would have difficulty parting with them. However I have managed to snatch some hard to find books from people who were willing to sell them.

Rennie

Postby Rennie » January 28th, 2004, 6:43 am

I like Mark am totally flabbergasted the way some books appreciate in value.Of course some are stagnant or actually lose value.The Harbin book came out at $60.00 originally, now try to find a copy for less than $700.00, cannot do it.I own all the volumes of the Albo series of books with the exception of #5, again if I find it it is in excess of $700.00. I have kicked myself many times for not buying some books when they first came out. A good example of appreciation are the Phil Goldstein color series, I believe originally they were $4.50 ea., now into the hundreds of dollars. I even contacted Phil /Max in an effort to purchase the Yellow Book of Mentalism ( again I am missing 1 ) and he even told me the prices are out of line. Oh well this is what makes collecting fun and in some cases profitable.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2004, 8:15 am

Originally posted by Rennie:
Oh well this is what makes collecting fun
Agreed. It's a great feeling when you've been looking for some old book, but don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for it on eBay, then you come across it for a few dollars at a magic shop or used book store.

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2004, 1:16 pm

These are my comments on the Tom Blue auction at Swann's:

"Sale held of the Tom Blue Magic Library at Swann Galleries in NYC last
Thursday Jan 15, 2004 fetched some record prices for certain rare
titles. This was a a true collector's library with most books in excellent o mint condition , cherished and cared by Tom for many years,

Highlight were:

1- record price paid for lot #3, Dr R J Albo's Classic Magic books series. This set was complete with the added "perk" that volumes 1-5 were inscribed to Dai Vernon by Albo. Sold for $5,500 plus 15% premium.

2- Lot 278,Kellar's Arithmetical Calculations, a small and scarce 32 page soft bound pamphlet authored and signed by Harry Kellar, fetched a whopping $3,600 plus premium versus and estimate of $800/1,200

3- Lupton's A Thousand Things ca 1700's Toole Stott 448 sold for $2,600 vs an estimate of 600/900

4- Lot 363, Thornton The New Cabinet of Arts which had an estimate of 400/600 went unsold when the reserve was raised to $4,400. It was discovered that only 3 copies of this title ar extant, 2 in institutions. However it failed to sell against a starting bid of $4,400.

Scarce and unusual titles fetched within or above estimates, with some recent titles issued on a limited basis (L&L Collector's edition series) selling many times their estimate."

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”