The Jinx Magazine

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Gordolini

The Jinx Magazine

Postby Gordolini » October 7th, 2001, 12:06 pm

I have recently purchased a set of magazines called "The Jinx". Each copy is usually just 4 pages and is printed more like a newspaper. It was produced and edited by Theo Anneman and I believe it was printed by Davenports of London - although I could be wrong as there is a lot of refrences to the USA. The first edition was printed in 1934 and the last one I have, issue 40, was printed in 1939.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information on this publication.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Jinx Magazine

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2001, 5:31 pm

The Jinx was published by Ted Annemann in Waverly New York, not London. It ended when Annemann commited suicide. Complete sets of the Jinx in three hardcover reprinted volumes have been widely available for 30 years.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

sleightly

Postby sleightly » October 7th, 2001, 5:37 pm

The Jinx ran 151 issues, 886 pages (less 49 or 50 pages never produced) through December 1941. Theo Annemann, its editor and major contributor, passed away on January 12, 1942 in New York.

A thoroughly American publication, The Jinx drew contributors both pro and am from around the globe.

Complete reprints are available from most magic dealers, published by D. Robbins (I believe previously published by Tannen's).

It's a great read, dense with practical workable (and many time devious) material.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » October 7th, 2001, 8:02 pm

I do believe that Davenports indeed republished the periodical as well -- or at least part of its 151 issue run. The Davenport copies were actual resets of the original publications, not facsimilies as were the Tannen reprints. As has been noted, the first issue of the magazine was published by Ted Annemann in October of 1934 and continued through Number 151 (December 15, 1941. Originally put out on a monthly basis, it became a weekly publication in October of 1939.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”