Query for the Forum

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
John Smetana

Query for the Forum

Postby John Smetana » March 28th, 2004, 2:08 pm

I've recently been thinking of a John Calvert lecture I attended.A most charming person and the stories he told were fascinating. In fact, the lecture would have been well worth attending even without the magic.
My question is: Can you give us the name(s) of living magicians/ mentalists who are really good raconteurs? Someone who you would enjoy hearing tell their stories and experiences. Thanks in advance,

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Q. Kumber

Re: Query for the Forum

Postby Q. Kumber » March 28th, 2004, 2:35 pm

>"Can you give us the name(s) of living magicians/ mentalists who are really good raconteurs? Someone who you would enjoy hearing tell their stories and experiences."<

Jay Marshall has called Paul Daniels magic's greatest living raconteur.

There aren't many people in magic who when they speak I shut up and listen. Three of those would be Billy McComb, Jay Marshall and Paul Daniels, all superb storytellers.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » March 28th, 2004, 3:02 pm

Thank you Quentin..I really appreciate your input.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » March 28th, 2004, 3:04 pm

I saw Cellini lecture a while back -- he had some great stories. Same with Johnny Thompson.

-Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 28th, 2004, 3:29 pm

Johnny Thompson for sure... Paul Daniels is currently making his living telling those kinds of stories.

I would also venture to say that Charles Reynolds could well do the same, as could Pat Page.
Stay tooned.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » March 28th, 2004, 4:01 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Johnny Thompson for sure... Paul Daniels is currently making his living telling those kinds of stories.

I would also venture to say that Charles Reynolds could well do the same, as could Pat Page.
Many thanks Pete. I already have Reynolds, Daniels and Page on my list..added Johnny Thompson and Cellini..I appreciate your help.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 28th, 2004, 10:33 pm

You could also add Bobby Bernard and Val Andrews.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 29th, 2004, 6:14 am

You might as well put Bob Orben in there too. I go with Paul Daniels, Jay Marshall and Pat Page. They are four star too.

Best Always,

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Ted Leon

Postby Ted Leon » March 29th, 2004, 8:48 am

John,
Your comments on the wonderful John Calvert reminded me of the opportunity I had to visit with him.

I was enthralled by his encounters and recollections of his times spent with reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes. Apparently they shared some unbelievable times. Mostly involving airplanes and woman.

Ted (Leondo)

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 29th, 2004, 10:46 am

Showbusiness seems to breed good storytellers. We are lucky to have so many good ones in magic.

Two quick stories. Cilla Black (famous in the UK as a singer and TV show presenter) was starring in the Christmas pantomime "Babes In The Wood". The wicked villian has just been caught and Cilla asks the audience how she should finish him off?
A boy calls out, "Sing to him."

When Paul Daniels was featured on "This Is Your Life" one of the guests, TV star Max Bygraves said,'"I've known Paul for over twenty years but I've only spoken to him twice...because I didn't like to interrupt."

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » March 30th, 2004, 9:55 am

Bobby Bernard.Now i can sit and listen to his tales all day and night, and at conventions, usualy do.
It would be hard to find someone who hasnt seen more magic, done more magic, and known as many of the greats over the last umpti tum years.
I should carry a tape recorder and record it for all time.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”