Jay Marshall and Troublewit

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Ryan Matney

Jay Marshall and Troublewit

Postby Ryan Matney » July 29th, 2005, 1:33 pm

Is there any video available of Jay Marshall performing his Troublewit routine?
Distilled- 100% Pure Self-Working Card Magic - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Oliver Corpuz

Re: Jay Marshall and Troublewit

Postby Oliver Corpuz » July 29th, 2005, 2:12 pm

According to the the Magic Inc. website, the Greater Magic Video has Jay doing the troublewit.

Click Here for link.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 29th, 2005, 9:25 pm

Thanks!
Distilled- 100% Pure Self-Working Card Magic - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » August 30th, 2005, 3:15 pm

This listing is incorrect. Jay Marshall is NOT performing Troublewit on this or any Stevens tape. The person writing the description at Magic Inc confused the changing of paper hats in the Juan Escudero routine by Jay as Troublewit.

There is no know video of Jay Marshall performing Troublewit.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » August 30th, 2005, 4:40 pm

Thanks, David. This was going to be my next purchase. I'm still going to get it anyway. I love watching Jay.

Didn't he ever do Troublewit on the Sullivan show? I think he appeared 18 times. I wish that footage would be made available somehow.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 30th, 2005, 6:50 pm

Some of the Sullivan show stuff is available from Andrew Solt.
Stay tooned.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » August 30th, 2005, 8:14 pm

I asked the same question at Magic Inc and was told they have documented 8 Sullivan appearances, but haven't been able to go beyond that. They didn't think he did Troublewit on Sullivan.

At Frank Herman's memorial service I was told some guy had a video of Skipper Frank doing Troublewit, but even though he promised me he'd get me a tape, he's never come through. Disappointing.

You'll like Jay's tape. It was done 20 years ago and he is in top form. Much of what he does comes right out of Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic, then there's Lefty and the Juan Escudero bit. Worth having for the last two alone.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 5:24 pm

Jay Marshall performed Troublewit on the "Magic Palace" This was a show from Canada that featured
Magicians from all over the world. I remember that Jay told me that he wrote his sequence of shapes on the end of the prop. But knowing Jay I'll bet that he never had to look at it! I saw this as well as his hand shadow routine and his routine with the donut shaped piece of felt ( chapography, please excuse spelling)

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”