Cornelius' cousin

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Pepka

Cornelius' cousin

Postby Pepka » September 22nd, 2005, 5:58 pm

At an afternoon walkaround gig today for financial planner type guys, I had a funny thing happen. After a few routines at one group, I was ready to leave, one of them asks me if I know John Cornelius. Now, that's a name we all know well, but not too many laymen would. I explain that I've never met John, but I read his work and have done a few of his routines. He is John's cousin. If anyone knows John's email or is pals with him, pass it on that his cousin in PA Richard McCarthy says hi.

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Re: Cornelius' cousin

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 22nd, 2005, 6:15 pm

This is a great idea for a thread!

I was working at Geno Munari's close-up theatre in Atlantic City in August. A gentleman approached me after one of my shows and asked if I knew the Zarrow shuffle. I told him yes, I had used it in the show. Turns out this man was Herb Zarrow's nephew!

I told him Mr. Zarrow was practically a magical demigod and respected by magicians all over the world. To this guy, though, he's just good ol' uncle Herb -- it tickled him to no end to hear just how highly esteemed Mr. Zarrow is for his work.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » September 22nd, 2005, 7:52 pm

At my gig I had three (that I remember) similar situations;
1. I was working for an older couple and the man said "..do you know Harlan Tarbell?" I said yes, he introduced me to Tarbells niece, his wife Sally.

2. At another table that same week I did my stuff and the lady asked if I knew Tom Ogden, her brother. She had been a "box jumper" for him.

3. After a particularly long session at one table, a guy asked me if I knew Robert Albo. He worked under him and held a complete set of the Albo books. (Oh, by the way, he would not entertain the thought of selling them :( )

Small world!

GO

TomEwing0973

Postby TomEwing0973 » September 23rd, 2005, 1:03 pm

Nothing beats this. After performing at a retirement village back in the early 1980's an elderly woman came up and complimented me on my show and said her husband was a magician who was friends with Thurston. She asked if I knew of her husband. I asked his name and she said, "Percy Tibbles." My jaw dropped and I said, "Selbit?!" She said, yes, that was him and she had a lot of records and contracts between him and Thurston, some personal correspondence, posters, and so forth and she was wondering what to do with it all. She asked me if I'd like to have it all. I was stunned and stammered yes and she said, "give me your phone number and I'll get it all together and call you." I gave her my phone number but DID NOT get hers.
I waited and waited but she never called. I checked the retirement village and they had no one by that name or description. I checked the phone book and there was a Mrs. Tibbles but it was not her. She had literally disappeared. It's something I regret to this day. This is a true story although it sounds like something you'd make up.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 23rd, 2005, 1:21 pm

One night about 25 years ago I was driving down a rainy backroad from Leverett, Mass to Northampton, Mass to do a restaurant gig. It was winter and very slick.

As I came around a curve I came up on a bad car crash. I stopped to help and pulled one woman out of one car and then got a gent out of the other car and carried him off the road and laid him on the grass. His car caught fire and was burning. A friendly neighbor brought a blanket out so I could try to keep him dry and called the authorities.

I can remember thinking that I was wearing light colored slacks and didn't want to get blood on them as my main goal that night was to get to the gig and then get the $$$. I did feel a little guilty for thinking that.

The guy I was helping was banged up pretty good. As they were putting him in the ambulance he grabbed me and asked my name. I told him, "Tabby Crabb" and he said, "Tabby Crabb? I was on my way to see you work tonight." He had driven about 75 miles from Vermont. Holey smokes.

Well, I sort of felt responsible for him after that and visited him several times while he was in the hospitol. I didn't think to ask him if he was John Cornelius cousin but he might of been.

-=tabman

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 24th, 2005, 3:22 am

I met two people on separate occasions at Tannen's so that's not exactly "by accident," but here goes. The first was the late Frank Everhart's son, who was in from Key West, and the second was Cardini's daughter, who was visiting Tony Spina in the shop.

Speaking of Joe Turner's Zarrow reminiscence, I had a wonderful time once with Joe who was visiting New York City, where I then lived. I was taking him around to the "magic" places and we wound up having dinner prior to going to a performance of Monday Night Magic, at a place called Ernie's. At the dinner table we (naturally) got out the pasteboards whereupon a woman approached us and asked if we were magicians. When we replied that we were, she asked if we would come to her table, where Herb Zarrow himself was having dinner with his wife, Phyllis, and some friends. Herb had seen the cards out of the corner of his eye. I knew Herb from conversations with him at Tannen's.

I think Joe thought that was an everyday occurrance in the Big Apple. Who was I to tell him otherwise?

Matt Field

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 24th, 2005, 7:09 am

That was a great trip! I think Tony and Julie Eng were also with the Zarrows, as Tony was on the show at MNM that evening.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Matt!

JMT

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » September 24th, 2005, 11:18 am

I was talking to the co-owner of a theatre where I regularly perform a few weeks ago. She said: "When we were in London in the early '60's there was a film director who was also a marvelous magician..." I: "Not Cy Endfield?!"

It was. She had an early teenage crush on Endfield who was, by her report, extremely fascinating. I had never known that he was fleeing the blacklist.

Best,

N.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 24th, 2005, 7:26 pm

Originally posted by Nathan Coe Marsh:
"When we were in London in the early '60's there was a film director who was also a marvelous magician..." I: "Not Cy Endfield?!"
Interesting, I never knew that about Enfield. Thanks.

-=tabman

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » September 25th, 2005, 2:27 am

Cy Endfield's best known fim was Zulu (1964). Another film director/magician in London during part of the 1960's was Orson Welles!
Anthony

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Last week I was playing poker on line and I told everyone to watch Mindfreak and support magic. A woman said her cousin was a magician but she had lost track of him. I asked his name and it turned out to be Dean Dill. I gave her his website address and hope she got hold of him. She said her sons middle name was Wayne after Dean and she had not seen him since her fathers funeral ten years ago.
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 25th, 2005, 9:58 pm

Didn't happen to me but it's a great story.

A magician was on a train in France and started to chat with an elderly woman. He helped her with her luggage, etc.

She said, "If you ever stop here please call, I'd like to have you to the house for dinner."

Some time later he did, and called, and did visit the lady's home, met her husband, kids, etc.

During the visit the fact that he was a magician came up... the woman said, "My grandfather was a magician, and we have a closet full of his old stuff, books, letters, etc. and don't know what to do with them, WOULD YOU LIKE THEM?"

They brought out some of the material and it belonged to....

Robert-Houdin

What a gift!
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 25th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Ah yes... ZULU... one of the great films of all time. Enfield was a great director, and sadly had to leave the US for the UK during the McCarthy "blacklisting" period.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2005, 10:37 pm

Mr. Pete, you are pals with Dean, next time you speak with him ask if his cousin from Colorado got hold of him. Silver and Black!
Steve V

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2005, 12:04 am

Ran into the gal again and she did get hold of Dean and they had a long talk and she was thrilled to find him.
Steve V

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » September 30th, 2005, 6:58 am

This had slipped my mind because it has been awhile. About two years ago I was working a Bar Mitzvah in New Jersey and discovered that the mother had been a college friend of, if my recollection is correct, Seth Kramer -- and remembered seeing him perform the cigarette through quarter.

Best,

N.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 30th, 2005, 7:38 am

My friend David Rowyn was working as a phone directory information operator (411). He received a call from a man asking for the number of Phil Wilmarth, in whatever town Phil was living in at the time. My friend asked, "Is this Phil Wilmarth of the Linking Ring?" And the man said, "Yes." David asked if the querent were a magician. And he was. Turns out it was John Cornelius calling Phil.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » September 30th, 2005, 8:36 am

Originally posted by Brad Henderson:
Turns out it was John Cornelius calling Phil.
Wow!!! That's a great story!!! Or are you trying to tell me that Phil Wilmarth is John Cornelius' cousin???

-=tabman

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » October 1st, 2005, 1:20 am

One closeup gig I did a few years back, a couple introduced themselves to me. It turns out they were Greg Manwaring's parents. Greg is a professional animator (Roger Rabbit, etc.) who did the illustrations for Michael Ammar's cups and balls routine.

I also do an annual holiday party gig at a private club in Oakland, CA...there's almost always someone there who knows Dr. Albo.

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2005, 6:19 pm

I've met so many people in the bay area that know Dr. Albo that I'm starting to think he may be the friendliest man in the state.
Steve V

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 2nd, 2005, 11:22 pm

Last year I was working a party at a doctor's home in Southern California when a man asked me if I'd ever heard of his uncle: Leo Horowitz.

We had a pleasant exchange as he had good memories of his uncle.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » October 5th, 2005, 5:09 am

Back in the mid 1990s, I was working as a duty manager at an apartment hotel located in Sydney's CBD. At the time, there was a magic show playing at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and the performers were staying at the apartment, including Johnny and Pam Thompson.

During one of my shifts an overseas call came through for Johnny Thompson. I forwarded the call to Johnny's apartment but the call was unanswered and it returned to the switchboard.

The caller asked to leave a message. The caller replied:

"Please call Peter Reveen".

As is common practice in taking messages, I read back the message to the caller.

"Please call Lance Burton's manager".

There were a few moments of stunned silence. I then thanked Peter for calling and terminated the call.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”