Tyrone Power?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Tyrone Power?

Postby observer » November 14th, 2015, 1:38 pm

from The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser:

"Harry traces his interest in coin magic back to his years in high school, when he saw a film in which the imprisoned Tyrone Power distracts a guard's attention by calling him over to the cell door and performing several coin tricks."

Sounds interesting, anybody know which film this would have been?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tyrone Power?

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 14th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Father Cyp would have known in a second.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 14th, 2015, 2:20 pm

The Mark of Zorro:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0032762/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i2

In the film, Power plays Zorro and his alter ego the foppish Don Diego. Diego performs a copper silver transposition in his cell to distract the guard. The character of Don Diego performs impromptu magic throughout the film to put emphasis on his lighthearted and buffoonish personality.

observer

Postby observer » November 14th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:The Mark of Zorro:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0032762/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i2

In the film, Power plays Zorro and his alter ego the foppish Don Diego. Diego performs a copper silver transposition in his cell to distract the guard. The character of Don Diego performs impromptu magic throughout the film to put emphasis on his lighthearted and buffoonish personality.

Fantastic, thank you. Looks like a great movie, may just order myself a DVD for Christmas.

Did Power do his own magic in the film?

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 14th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Tyrone's magic performances were done in long shots so it definitely is him. There are no close ups of hands doing faro shuffles and so forth.

No doubt a magic consultant coached him. If I remember, that copper/silver effect required a French drop/Spellbound type of move and the Ramsay subtlety.

This film is considered the best of all Zorro films and I'm inclined to agree, although I liked the Antonio Banderas version Mask of Zorro.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 14th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Neither is a patch on Guy Williams!

observer

Postby observer » November 14th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Neither is a patch on Guy Williams!

That was a great show. I wonder if Teller watched it.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 14th, 2015, 7:47 pm

The Guy Williams Zorro was a Disney television series, not a motion picture. I believe the Williams T.V. series was the basis for Alex Toth's Zorro comics.

Power also did his own sword dueling in the M o Z. That swordfight at the end with Basil Rathbone is killer! Rathbone was the greatest swordsman in Hollywood history and the Sherlock Holmes of the 1940s. So Power did his own magic and sword fights, holding his own against the best. Not bad.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 14th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Yes, I think everyone who is a fan of the Guy Williams version of Zorro knows it's a TV series.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 14th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Neither is a patch on Guy Williams!

What made Guy stand out? I thought he did a fine Zorro but other actors also did well in the role.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 15th, 2015, 4:27 am

Speaking of Harry Riser, there's a very entertaining series of youtube interviews where he talks about his life in magic.

If you haven't seen them, here's a LINK

The entire series is about 90 minutes long but is broken up into 20 segments of varying lengths. Once you start watching, you won't be able to stop until you've seen them all.

TheAmazingGreat

Postby TheAmazingGreat » May 29th, 2023, 6:05 pm

You may have solved a problem that's been bugging me since I first learned to roll coins in the 60s. (Not MY sixties - the nineteen -sixties). There is a movie in which an an American or Canadian serviceman falls in love with a British woman during WW2. It was made in the 50's I think. The actor rolls what I believe is an English penny over his knuckles. I must have seen the movie fifty years ago, and can remember exactly what the actor looked like, but can't remember his name, who the leading woman was, or what the name of the film was. I have tried about 40 different subjects to google, and checked the IMDB - no luck. This has been driving me crazy for years. It's a tip of the tongue situation that has lasted for decades. That actor looks a little like Peter Lawford, but it isn't him. Dark hair, not-quite-but-close-to-Cary-Grant good looks. If anyone has a clue to the name of the film or the actor, please give me s shout. Thanks!

Your clues about Tyrone Power lead me to "A Yank In the R.A.F." with Betty Grable (O.K., not British...) It's on youtube, so I'm going to waste another hour watching it to see if the scene is in it. Then I can finally get some sleep. I will also check out that Zorro movie.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 30th, 2023, 10:34 am

Gene Sheldon, who played Guy Williams' sidekick "Bernardo" in the Zorro TV show, was a performing magician from the 1930s and 1940s.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 30th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Gene Sheldon, who played Guy Williams' sidekick "Bernardo" in the Zorro TV show, was a performing magician from the 1930s and 1940s.

That was like my favorite TV show when I was a kid. I used to sing the theme song a lot ("Out of the night, when the full moon is brigh-igh-ight, comes a horseman known as Zorro...") and I often wore the mask, hat, cape, and toy sword. OK, full disclosure -- I still do. Bernardo couldn't talk (that was only the case on the show, however). He (Gene Sheldon) was the son of a magician and, dressed as a girl, he acted as his father's assistant. I guess that's where he learned the tricks of the trade.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2023, 9:33 pm

"Zorro" is now on Disney +

Diego

Postby Diego » May 31st, 2023, 3:01 am

"No doubt a magic consultant coached him. If I remember, that copper/silver effect required a French drop/Spellbound type of move and the Ramsay subtlety."

Harry Mendoza was a magic consultant for a number of films, but "Mark of Zorro" isn't listed in IMDb or TCM among his credits. Another Tyrone Power movie, "Nightmare Alley" does list him as a consultant, but the mental duo, Mardoni & Louise, provided the actual coaching to Tyrone Power and Coleen Gray on how to act as if they were doing a 2 person mental act.

Reading these posts makes me want to get my sword and carve a "Z" on Sgt. Garcia's uniform shirt!

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » June 17th, 2023, 6:44 pm

Tyrone Power did a salt shaker salt vanish in the Zorro movie. Ken Klosterman owned it at one time. When the salt did not show up well in the black and white movie, they used pepper.
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Larry Stangel

Postby Larry Stangel » July 1st, 2023, 10:39 am

TheAmazingGreat wrote:There is a movie in which an an American or Canadian serviceman falls in love with a British woman during WW2. It was made in the 50's I think. The actor rolls what I believe is an English penny over his knuckles. I must have seen the movie fifty years ago, and can remember exactly what the actor looked like, but can't remember his name, who the leading woman was, or what the name of the film was.

I believe you're looking for the Film "Darby's Ranger's" Go to 11:11, Stuart Whitman is the actor, there's also a scene where his character does some card flourishes while playing cards with her family.

https://archive.org/details/darbys-rang ... an-wellman

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » July 1st, 2023, 1:47 pm

in the long ago I recall seeing a David Niven film on TV. A coin roll cropped up in this. I think the suggestion was that Niven was the roller.

But that's al I could remember. Anyway, after searching for "David Niven Magician" film, here it is: "Eternally Yours".

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?fu ... t9lclh70f1

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » July 1st, 2023, 2:36 pm

Eternally Yours (1939). Paul Le Paul as the Butler!

Diego

Postby Diego » July 1st, 2023, 3:38 pm

"Eternally Yours (1939). Paul Le Paul as the Butler!"

The movie also had Fred Keating as a niteclub bandleader/M.C.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » August 13th, 2023, 8:52 pm

Ken Klosterman owned the Salt Shaker from the "Mark of Zorro". I believe it was sold at auction already.
Interesting fact is that they used pepper instead of salt so it would show up better in black and white.
Richard Hughes

www.hughesmagic.com

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”