magic books publishing history

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
kkelly

magic books publishing history

Postby kkelly » December 3rd, 2022, 9:58 am

I recall hearing some time ago that, aside from religion, more books, periodicals and pamphlets on magic have been published than any other subject. I have not been able to confirm that or even find a reference that could shed any light on it. any thoughts?

Kevin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: magic books publishing history

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 3rd, 2022, 11:10 am

Doesn't seem possible.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » December 3rd, 2022, 11:44 am

I very much doubt it, but as you note, there is no verifiable source.

In recent years there's been a seemingly endless parade of music tutors, particularly for guitar. The flow has likely tapered off a bit thanks to the everywhere-you-look video tutors.

Cookbooks are up there with the best of them. And they're not dissimilar to Magic tomes. Here's a few ingredients (sleights), mix 'em up and serve.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » December 3rd, 2022, 11:52 am

I strongly suspect this might be true but I have also been told that books on Chess are a strong contender.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 4th, 2022, 12:02 am

You are talking about performance magic, not occult/religious/mythological magic? Go to your local library, (or Library of Congress) or bookstore, and the number of books (now or before) on magic compared to historical events, historical people, any of the arts and the contrast is obvious. Whoever said that was uniformed, overly enthusiastic, PR oriented for magic...who knows? A lot of subjects will beat magic easily.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 4th, 2022, 12:59 am

I think it’s pretty sad that in mainstream bookstores and public libraries our magic is relegated to a small corner cubbyhole under puzzles/games/humor and the children’s section.

Within the magic community there is definitely a continual increased output of material. Just check the major online magic distributors every day to see the growing list of added stuff to buy.

Maybe from the inside it seems that way. From the perspective of the past, we definitely have more to chew on now than before. Maybe that was what the initial post was referring to.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » December 4th, 2022, 9:33 am

Leo Garet wrote:I very much doubt it, but as you note, there is no verifiable source.
In recent years there's been a seemingly endless parade of music tutors, particularly for guitar. The flow has likely tapered off a bit thanks to the everywhere-you-look video tutors.
Cookbooks are up there with the best of them. And they're not dissimilar to Magic tomes. Here's a few ingredients (sleights), mix 'em up and serve.

And gardening. And health/nutrition. And...
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 4th, 2022, 10:16 am

I recall hearing some time ago that, aside from religion, more books, periodicals and pamphlets on magic have been published than any other subject.

I have a feeling that statements like this get distorted over time. I would be more inclined to believe it had it said "than any other hobby," or something like that. (Which is how I first heard it).

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » December 4th, 2022, 10:46 am

I remember at the time around Doug Henning I was astonished at the amount of magic books being sold in regular bookshops in Toronto. Several shelves in fact. Now you might see 3 books if you are very lucky. However, I do think and have often thought that there may well be more books on magic published than any other subject. You just don't see them in public bookshops or libraries (which I consider a good thing).

There are an incredible amount of magic books around. Maybe people don't read them any more but they are certainly there.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 4th, 2022, 1:54 pm

It can sometimes be from where you're standing, (and looking) or again, just hopeful/optimism/PR thinking. I remember about 20+ years ago, a former president of The Magic Circle said in a TV documentary about magic, "That magic is now the most popular entertainment in the world." I thought, what about popular, (hip hop, rap, pop, whatever) music? Movies/TV/computer gaming?

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”