First use of the title, "Mentalist"

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Diego

First use of the title, "Mentalist"

Postby Diego » February 19th, 2020, 9:20 pm

The earliest mention in newspapers.com of the title "Mentalist", is in a December/1908 story in THE BILLBOARD,
of "Madame Tangley", managed by her husband who would later be known as, "Dr. Norman Baker."*

Does anyone know of earlier references of a performer using the title, "Mentalist"?

* Dr. Norman Baker, is remembered as a quack who later made a lot of money pitching his cancer cures
in the early days of radio.

Bill Mullins

Re: First use of the title, "Mentalist"

Postby Bill Mullins » February 20th, 2020, 12:55 am

Sphinx, Mar 1906:
"Mr. Wm. Broderson, a prominent merchant of San Francisco, has considerable fame as an illusionist and mentalist in his city and occasionally exhibits his skill there."

performer

Postby performer » February 20th, 2020, 9:48 am

The frustrating thing is that I actually read a few days ago where the word "mentalist" came from and who actually came up with it. And then I saw this subject mentioned here. For the life of me is that I can't remember where I read it or the actual details. It has been driving me nuts. If I ever rediscover the information I will post it here.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » February 24th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Here's a source from 1902:

A. Victor Segno, The Law of Mentalism: A Practical, Scientific Explanation of Thought Or Mind Force: the Law which Governs All Mental and Physical Action and Phenomena: the Cause of Life and Death

https://books.google.de/books?id=FQDDtu ... UQ6AEIKzAA

It uses the noun "Mentalist" several times, but not as a title of a performer. However, it tells the Mentalist from the Medium and the Clairvoyant.
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”