Geoff Latta book

Discuss aspects of the new digital access to all back issues of Genii and anything therein.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Geoff Latta book

Postby Joe Mckay » October 4th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Richard Kaufman made a good point once. He felt card magic is easier than coin magic because there are 52 objects to keep track of with card tricks. And that confusion allows you to use a lot of subtle (and easy to do) moves that you cannot use in coin magic.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 4th, 2018, 10:34 pm

We don't have so many routines where you mix a marked coin into a pile of pocket change...
... then later that coin is found among the "change for a dollar" we gave someone at the start of the routine.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 5th, 2018, 10:48 am

Latta book just arrived: For me, part of the enjoyment of the book has to do with the aesthetics, so I wanted to say a quick word about this. The physical plant of the book is interesting: 6 1/4 x 10 1/4 x 1 The profile of the book is reminiscent of the title. I haven't had a chance to start studying it yet, but after a quick flip-through, the one thing that stands out to me are the clear Anderson and Ellenbogen photos. Black and white instructional photos of coin magic are easy to do poorly and the contrast on these looks just right (IMHO, they came out much better than those in the Piedrahita book). I could have done without the ghostly naked people decorative edges, as they look pretty, but take up 1/2 inch of space on each page. I would have preferred using that space to have increased the font size a bit; however, to each their own of course. The Pink Purse DVD is in a loose envelope in the back of the book that is not glued in (which I prefer). Finally, nearly every Hermetic Press book has a classy embossed decoration underneath the dust jacket. This tome is no exception. Looking forward to digging in!

PS: Leo: From your description, I don't think the Pink Purse footage is the same as the video that you have.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 5th, 2018, 11:42 am

Personally, I would have preferred to see the photos reproduced at a larger size.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 5th, 2018, 11:43 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Personally, I would have preferred to see the photos reproduced at a larger size.

Agreed.

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » October 17th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Yes the tape looks just like Geof did in his prime. By-the-way, notice the use of the "rest position" which by itself helped hide or execute various transfers etc. I asked Steve Minch if he had heard whether David Roth liked the book. He hadn't heard yet at the time I asked. Regards, Gregg Webb. p.s. I can't do the "pressure pickup" of a shell. Maybe I could have when I was younger and moister but not now. One thing I find myself doing is this; instead of starting clean like Geof liked to do in certain routines, and then ring in the gaffs, one can start with the gaffs in already, in some cases, since no one is chasing us...then try to end clean.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 17th, 2018, 10:22 pm

A handy glass with a bit of condensation on the outside, or a discrete "cough" into your fist can provide the necessary moisture for the "dime pickup." You might also try using quarters, as the shells are considerably lighter.

webbmaster

Postby webbmaster » November 26th, 2018, 10:20 am

Hey, if that works for you, more power to you. Geoff could just press and up it would come, although he always washed his hands before doing any kind of magic for strangers...maybe that was it. Myself, in a situation like this I'd just do another trick that doesn't need that move...there are so many to choose from. Thanks though.

chuckrios
Favorite Magician: Too many to count.

Postby chuckrios » December 8th, 2018, 4:10 pm

I use Jim Bodine's Octopalm gel in lue of breathing on my palm for moisture. It works pretty good! Olny con is that it does not wash off well but the smell is nice and a little goes a long way. Also, I am half way the the Latta book and it is outstanding material. It prompted me to buy an expanded coin set and the Roth okito box set from Roy Kueppers because his prices were more reasonable than that of Tod Lassens (Who made all of Geoff's gaffs.)
When ever things go bad in my life, I think to myself how lucky I am to have even woke up this morning.

webbmaster

Postby webbmaster » February 27th, 2019, 1:13 pm

I saw a famous 'name' cardman (mostly) who would openly lick his palm before palming a card. No, I still feel that once you start putting stuff on your hands, it interferes with other things. So, why not use bottle caps for a trick using that kind of work, such as my bottle caps matrix with three bottle caps (only) since it will seem like even more variety after cards and coins (and coin tricks that don't use the 'pressure pickup') p.s. see the trick under Bermuda Triangle in Genii magazine. Hey ! p.p.s. I'm on my 4th time through the book. You can't use all of it. - Why, this IS Genii magazine.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 27th, 2019, 1:59 pm

I have started using O'Keefe's hand stuff. It comes in a green tub or tube. Tom Gagnon turned me on to it and it's great.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

richardingram

Postby richardingram » February 27th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I have started using O'Keefe's hand stuff. It comes in a green tub or tube. Tom Gagnon turned me on to it and it's great.

Mullica recommended O’keefes as well. I love it.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 27th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Working Hands in the green tub. I use that on the way into work. Might work as a dot of daub on the fingernail for card tricks too. The blue one is slightly different formula, for feet. I have not tried the yellow container item yet.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 28th, 2019, 1:06 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I have started using O'Keefe's hand stuff. It comes in a green tub or tube. Tom Gagnon turned me on to it and it's great.

Is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.target.com/p/o-keeffe-s-wor ... v_XS000000

Sean-Dylan

Postby Sean-Dylan » February 28th, 2019, 10:29 am

webbmaster wrote:So, why not use bottle caps for a trick using that kind of work, such as my bottle caps matrix with three bottle caps (only) since it will seem like even more variety after cards and coins (and coin tricks that don't use the 'pressure pickup') p.s. see the trick under Bermuda Triangle in Genii magazine..

After a little searching I found the effect, "Triangulation" in the April 2017 issue.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » February 28th, 2019, 11:07 am

O'Keefe's Working Hands is excellent. But start with a tiny amount; just like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya. Too much and your hands are tacky enough to climb rough walls!

Av

Return to “iGenii”