Online interface is buggy

Discuss aspects of the new digital access to all back issues of Genii and anything therein.
David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » August 4th, 2015, 5:09 pm

I recently re-subscribed and what got me to do it was the online digital access to all issues of Genii past and present.

(although I am planning to adjust my subscription by paying the higher rate to also start receiving the physical magazine again ... the digital archives are great for accessing old issues I don't have , but I find that I really prefer holding a magazine in my hands and paging through it . I wouldn't want the digital archive to go away , but I prefer my paper copies.)

BUT, the online interface has been frustrating, especially the Search engine. I have turned off Ad-Blocker and tried accessing the site with three different browsers: Firefox, Chrome , and Safari (I'm on a Macbook Pro, Mac OS 10.9) and with all browsers I am constantly getting knocked off after doing a search and then attempting to do a new search (a pop-up window appears to tell me "you must log-in first" ... but I AM logged-in already :cry: ... so then I have to log-out and log-in again for the search engine to "see" me again as logged-in) .

Other buggy behavior I've encountered is when I print a page the area to be printed (the marquee area, within the dotted lines) is always cropped-in to a smaller area than the full page , so I have to manually adjust it by dragging the corners to expand the marquee area to the full page ). So , after adjusting the marquee to include the full page area I print the Left Side , but when I go to print the Right Side of the page the marquee area has defaulted back to the smaller, cropped area, so I have to manually adjust it again before printing the Right side. Tedious. I'd prefer a standard printer interface that offers the option to Print All pages or to specify a range of Pages to print (say, from page 10 - through - Page 17 ) .

After closing the print window I can no longer navigate from page to page by clicking on the back or forward arrows at the left and right edge of the pages . The interface freezes and will not advance to the next page ... the only solution I've found is to log-out , clear my browser cache, then log-in again , go back to load the issue I was reading before, and only then can I continue navigating through the pages. If I try to use the click-and-drag turn the page function (from upper right corner) it gets stuck with the page half-turned and at that point I can't navigate . I have to log-out , clear my cache, log-in again, then return to the issue I was trying to read.

It's not this way 100% of the time ... sometimes the interface functions as expected , but this buggy behavior manifests way too often.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Online interface is buggy

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2015, 8:02 pm

The Search function is not currently working and is in the process of being fixed as has been noted here on other threads.

I have not experienced the other issues you're talking about, and the system works perfectly well on my machine.

I will forward your comments to the company who takes care of all of this for us and have them checked.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2015, 10:56 am

David, please email me privately at moobooks@verizon.net with the user name you enter when you sign in. Thanks.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2015, 11:39 am

The print limitation is purposefully imposed so only one page can be printed out at a time.

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » August 5th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The print limitation is purposefully imposed so only one page can be printed out at a time.

Why?
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Damien, don't ask questions like that.

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » August 6th, 2015, 4:23 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Damien, don't ask questions like that.

I was being serious. If someone wants to print out 3 pages at once without having to crop and set everything up, what's the harm in that?

Or do you think some nefarious person is going to print out the whole mag and sell pirate copies on eBay?

I don't see what problem you think you're solving by making the user experience that bad. I've bought your content, now I want to print out three pages so I can learn a trick without going back and forward on a tablet. But wait, I can't because: reasons...

I seriously don't get it.

Print is dying, we all know that, so publishers need to offer their customers something better. Not worse.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » August 6th, 2015, 9:20 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The print limitation is purposefully imposed so only one page can be printed out at a time.

Ok, your house , your rules . BUT with the one-page-at-a-time limitation could you ask the programmers to make it so the default marquee value is set to include the full page area, rather than have to manually adjust the marquee each time a page is selected for printing ?

I will email you with the other information you requested.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2015, 10:29 am

That is already in the process of being fixed.

Return to “iGenii”