Genii Archive Question

Discuss aspects of the new digital access to all back issues of Genii and anything therein.
prodigy

Re: Genii Archive Question

Postby prodigy » December 6th, 2016, 9:45 pm

lybrary wrote:You might want to consider getting the PDF version of the first 75 years of Genii. http://www.lybrary.com/genii-the-conjur ... 76309.html

The advantage of the PDFs is that you do not need any Internet connection which can cause problems at times with online archives, and you are not dependent on somebody else's search or browse feature working or not. Yes, it is only the first 75 years, but at least those you would have access to no matter what. And if you have other PDFs on your computer you can search all of them in one swoop.

Will the issues from 2013 onwards be digitised at some point?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 7th, 2016, 11:48 am

They are all available to subscribers in our own digital archive.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » December 7th, 2016, 3:09 pm

I hope that at some point you'll provide the newer issues in PDF for offline use. Look at this way, you get to sell them to me all over again if you do this. :)

prodigy

Postby prodigy » December 7th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:They are all available to subscribers in our own digital archive.

I meant in PDF format, like Volumes 1-75.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » June 8th, 2020, 2:22 pm

The problem I still have with the search engine for the archive of past issues is that it's impossible to click BACK to the search results after you click on one of the search results, which means you have to start an all new search . For example: let's say I enter the search term : "U.F. Grant" for time period from 01/01/1950 to 12/31/1960 , it will return 200 search results. Then I click on the first one to read it. Now I would like to click back to the search results to continue looking at the other 199 search results. Can't do it. I have to enter a new search for "U.F. Grant" within the specified time span. The search engine would be more useful if the user could click backwards in the browser to return to the search results and continue browsing through the search results. OR at the very least allow the user to right-click on each search result and choose 'Open in New Tab' , so then the user could return to the original browser tab with the search results and continue clicking through to each search result in a new tab. As it is now if I click on a search result and choose Open in New Tab, it opens a new tab that is a blank page.

I'm on Mac OS , Macbook Pro, have tried it using Firefox , Safari, and Brave browsers. All browsers up to date.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Yes, that is a weakness in the system. But this system is what we can afford!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » June 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Perhaps you can right click and open in a new window.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 8th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Mark Collier wrote:Perhaps you can right click and open in a new window.

You could try, but that's never worked for me.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 8th, 2020, 6:15 pm

"Perhaps you can right click and open in a new window."

First, he's on a Mac, so right clicking isn't really an option. Secondly, it doesn't work on Windows either; the result page gives an error.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » June 8th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:"Perhaps you can right click and open in a new window."

First, he's on a Mac, so right clicking isn't really an option. Secondly, it doesn't work on Windows either; the result page gives an error.

It works on Mac to right-click : When I right-click on the search result I get the option of Open in a New Tab or Open in a New Window. But the problem is the new tab or new window opens a blank page, not the link to the search result.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 8th, 2020, 8:06 pm

I genuinely didn't know that two button mice were common on Macs. I've only ever seen since button mice on Apple kit.

Live and learn.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 9th, 2020, 8:49 am

FYI, with a one button mouse for a Mac, Control-click acts as a right button click.

Return to “iGenii”