IBM Reno

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Pete Biro

Re: IBM Reno

Postby Pete Biro » July 5th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Farmer wins "Biro award for greatest reply of the month."
Stay tooned.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » July 5th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Yeah Pete!! - Steve Bryant gets a close second?

Thanks Dustin - couldn't be there cuz of work.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 5th, 2005, 4:09 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
David Blaine was barred because only magicians are allowed in the dealers room.
So how do the dealers make any money then? Most of the magicians I know don't buy magic...

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Dustin,
It was great to meet & talk with you.

Thanks for the compliments. The microphone icident became a great conversation starter! I was complimented time & again for the way I handled it. The different mic did throw me off a little.

I am curious to know what you think needs to be tightened. I do work with a theatrical director and a magical director, but it would be good to know what they may have overlooked.

One disappointment - Although many commented on the hat trick with the dancing cane, nobody seemed to notice that I created 5 seperate plains of action with it, as opposed to the standard 2 plains. Anybody catch that? At all?

Over all, great experience. Great to make some new friends and fans. Hope to see more of you all soon.

BDC

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2005, 2:54 pm

Thanks for all of the great info on Reno. Where could I get more info about Carl Ballantine's upcoming DVD? I don't want to miss it
Thanks

Michael Dustman

Postby Michael Dustman » July 7th, 2005, 3:24 pm

I picked up the order form for the Ballantine DVD. It says on it that when the credit card is processed, you will receive confirmation from Steve Dacri Xtreme Close-up Magic/Magicwebchannel.com.

I, much like Dustin, was hording the Hostess products from the gift shop.

One of the Best finds at the convention. I had ordered a set of Schoolcraft Walking Liberty Deans Set Coins from Jamie Schoolcraft and he sent them with Dean Dill. I also ended up getting the Flipper Coin. My normal Coins Across, I produce a 3 inch coin at the end and asked Dean if he knew where to get a 3 inch Liberty. He knew someone who use to make them but said it could be an ordeal to track them down. I checked with some of the other dealers with no success. Later that evening I stopped in the hotel gift shop to buy souveniers for my kids and they had a small magic counter with some close-up tricks. They had a selection of 15 different 3 inch coins including Walking Liberty's and Ben Franklin Halfs. I bought a few of each at $2.99 a piece. The hotel gift shop of all places.

One observation about seeing the Chief Genie the last couple of years at conventions. Doesn't he make you want to buy stock in denim companies? The jackets, the shirts, the pants.....

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 9th, 2005, 2:53 am

so who wins the caption contest? :-D

And...what is the Ballentine dvd? What's going to be on it, etc? Is there anywhere we can go online to order it now?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Michael Dustman

Postby Michael Dustman » July 9th, 2005, 8:25 am

Apparently keep your eye on magicwebchannel.com

It is supposed to include:

Historic Ballantine Performance Footage

A Day at the Race Track (Hollywood Park)

Interviews with Carl at the Magic Castle

His last stage performance-San Diego w/rare backstage moments

Higlights of Ballantine/Dacri Lecture

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 14th, 2005, 5:37 pm

My apologies for being so tardy in addressing everything that has been asked and commented on here; my only excuse is that I have been swamped since my return. Things are slowly getting back to normal (including my sleep pattern).

For the record: I did not hoard Hostess products; that was my roomie (and in fairness to him, he partook in only one box of Donettes and one box of regular doughnuts over the week). However, now I wish I had ventured into the gift shopdang it. I would have bought some of those jumbo coins just because! (Okay, yes, I had a couple of donettesand a plain doughnuthey, I had to take my pill with food!)

Originally posted by Michael Dustman:
One observation about seeing the Chief Genie the last couple of years at conventions. Doesn't he make you want to buy stock in denim companies? The jackets, the shirts, the pants.....
the underwear (okay, sorry; that was too easy).

You should have seen the tux he had at the AMA Awards; dashing indeed.

BDC: You should have asked me earlier when I had a clearer recollection of your act. (Even though Im replying late, I read the post when you left it and that was my reaction.) That being said, I will try to email you this weekend with an answer. (I cannot believe its been two weeks already!) I think the issue with the dancing cane was the venue. On that ridiculously huge stage, everything appears almost 2D to the audience because everything is so far away.

As for the winner of the caption contest for this photo, it really wasnt even close (though Sam Kessler did come in second): As soon as I received it, I knew it was a winner. From Steve Snediker: Oh crap! Nanas got the kids! (If you dont get it, read my first entry in the BLOG.) So Steve wins a DVD which hell probably hate (since I did), but I made no promises that it would be a good DVD! (But hey, you never know!)

Of course, I also owe Dick Hatch a DVD as well for knowing who was in the snap with Howie and Richard. He just might get the bad one I singled out for this contest and give Steve his choice from a short list. Well see. I will be contacting you gentlemen this weekend.

Sams second place entry: Oh, my god. Paris Hilton's in the lobby! Now we know what Sam does in his spare time. Thats okay Sam, I think thats hot.

My thanks to those who participated and/or guessed (more than I expected, and that was very nice indeed), and thanks again to all the nice comments and emails. I only wish I had been at the SAM to do the same thing.

Dustin

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2005, 6:58 pm

Dustin, I'm heading for Reno next week to re-follow your steps. Can you please let me know when you got to hug Jinger? I wanna experience the entire Dustin visit....
Steve V

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 14th, 2005, 8:42 pm

I never hug & tell.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » July 14th, 2005, 11:22 pm

Originally posted by DustinStinett:

Of course, I also owe Dick Hatch a DVD as well... He just might get the bad one I singled out for this contest... Well see.
Hey, Dustin, if I can guess which DVD you plan to send me, do I get it AND another one for guessing correctly?
Here goes: Weapons of a Card Shark by Jeff Wessmiller?
I'll take it! After your glowing review, I'm anxious to watch it with deck in hand!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 16th, 2005, 12:38 pm

So you enjoy watching train wrecks, do you? Well, that's the one and now you're stuck with it! But your astuteness (and the fact that you read my stuff) earns you another DVD. Steve gets his pick from the following short list first, however (and it's not a bad list, actually):

Tricks to Pick-Up Chicks (this is no joke, though I wish it were)

Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Volume 1, Thumb Tips

Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Volume 2, Reveal-a-Card Discoveries/Card in Wallet

Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Volume 3, Three Shell Game / Topit Techniques

Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Volume 4, Rope Magic / Magic with Paper

Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Volume 5, Sponge Balls

Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Volume 6, 25 Super Tricks / Funny Business for Kids Shows

The Ray Grismer Lecture

So Steve, make your pick and send me your address. Dick, come up with your pick from this list and an alternative in case Steve picks your first choice!

Thanks again for playing along gentlemen!

Dustin

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » July 17th, 2005, 8:32 am

Thanks again, Dustin, for all your reports (especially the laughs!) written in the wee hours of the @#$%& morning. I couldn't even spell my name at those god-awful hours, let alone string so many cogent thoughts together. I've always found it hard being funny when I'm about to pass out from sleep-deprivation.

I'm glad you liked my caption and hope it brought a chuckle, as god knows you probably needed it. I accept second prize with honor. As to what I do in my spare-time, I'd rather not elaborate. But I will confess that at my age, I'm lucky I even know who Paris Hilton is. :D

Return to “Buzz”