Milt Kort passed away

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Milt Kort passed away

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2003, 9:27 am

Just wanted to inform everyone that Milt Kort passed away this morning. He had been ill for quite some time. My condolences go out to his family and friends. He was a good man, and a sneaky, good magician. He will be missed.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Milt Kort passed away

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2003, 8:02 pm

A good night to go back and re-read Minch's book "KORT."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2003, 8:13 pm

And Bobo, which is filled with his wonderful material, both credited and not.

Kort's work is that rarity, real sleight of hand that is not only practical, but just somehow feels right in the hands.

Sorry to hear it.

Best,

Geoff

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » August 1st, 2003, 9:54 pm

That is sad news to read.

I only met Milt Kort once in 1977, at Hollywood Magic.

I was 14 at the time and had been involved in magic since age ten. He was in the shop and we began talking. I had no idea who he was at that time. After awhile he pointed out a book to me and and took it off the shelf. He pointed out a few of the effects in the book, then turned to the front of the book and there was a picture of the author. I looked up and then realized he was standing right in front of me!

He was a very friendly person and willing to help a very young magician. The tittle of the book? Kort Is Now In Session. Still a favorite book of mine.

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » August 1st, 2003, 11:55 pm

Milt was my early mentor when I was a kid hanging out at Romig Magic Shop in Ferndale, Michigan. He shared his time and knowledge with me and let me borrow materials from his library. I'll miss him.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » August 2nd, 2003, 5:50 pm

I will never forget the fun we had with Kort some 3-4 years ago while he and a bunch of other Detroit based magicians and my family came over for a BBQ on my parents large deck while I was visiting home from Vegas. Milt unexpectedly put on a wonderful little show using no more than a napkin and some cards and coins. He was not in the greatest of health, but the spark in his eye we all witnessed when he was doing what he loved to was truly inspiring. Thank you for the memories, the days down in "Korts Kave", and the stories at the Monday evening socials at the Orion House.

I'll miss ya, Kort.

Keith Stickley

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » August 2nd, 2003, 7:48 pm

SAD NEWS, INDEED:

Although one should expect this sort of thing, I'm still shocked and saddened.

Milt Kort was a superb magician and he had a deep love affair with all things magical. He also dug deeper than most, and revered the printed word. I had the privilege of EXPERIENCING his ultra-natural magic at two different times. The first time was in Chicago at Ireland's 40th Anniversary bash. He was at Magic Inc. in the company of Claire Cummings. He showed me dazzling sleight-of-hand that looked magical, not manipulative. Much later (1990) I spent time with him in Detroit. Although he was vexed by arthritis at the time, he could still do fantastic tricks and he never stopped reading, studying, writing, and thinking about magic. I treasure the day he took me on a tour of "Kort's Kave." It was there that he demonstrated the first-rate gambling routine he published in the new edition of THE CARDISTE.

Milt was a gentle man with a devilish sense of humor, and a true, lifetime student.

RK is right. Spend some time with Minch's KORT and with every rereading, you will find something new and stimulating.

Perhaps also his long-time friend, Ron Bauer, will add something to Kort's important legacy?

I hope so...

My condolescences to Milt's family and to his daughter, Sandra, who I met on several occasions...

Onward...

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2003, 9:18 am

I, too, would like to extend my condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2003, 11:00 am

Originally posted by mr.e:
Just wanted to inform everyone that Milt Kort passed away this morning. He had been ill for quite some time. My condolences go out to his family and friends. He was a good man, and a sneaky, good magician. He will be missed.
And so the world is poorer for his passing. My sincere, if somewhat belated, condolances to his family and friends.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 4th, 2003, 12:07 pm

Sad to lose another one of magic's true Icons... a great contributor to our world... rip... :(
Stay tooned.

Michael Jay

Postby Michael Jay » August 11th, 2003, 4:19 am

For those of you interested, we did a guest spot with Kort a few months back. Kort's failing health at the time meant that he could not reply with the enthusiasm that he would've liked, but the interview is still a testament to this wonderful man. You can find the interview here:

http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/guests/kort/kort1.php

Thank you, Kort, you will be sorely missed.

Mike.

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 11th, 2003, 6:00 am

This truley breaks my heart that I did not get into magic sooner. Mr Kort was one of the guys I realy looked forward to meeting one day at a convention. My family and I send our condolescences.
Reed McClintock :(

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2003, 10:38 am

Oh man. I had no idea he was sick and thought that we were on our way to a Kort revival with the publishing of Minch's book. One of the first "professional" magic books I read was when a friend loaned me Kort Is Now In Session. We both started doing 'Miser's Dream In Reverse' and now, while I write this, I wonder why I ever stopped. Like everyone I soon moved on to Bobo and thought Kort was a god. Never met the man but always liked his stuff, then felt like I had a real sense of who he was through his anecdotes in 'Kort'. It's raining here right now. What a bummer of a day.

Return to “Buzz”