AP has reported that Teller's father has died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

AP has reported that Teller's father has died

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 30th, 2004, 10:23 am

An excerpt from the Associated Press report:

PHILADELPHIA - Joseph Teller, the father of magician Teller and subject of a 2000 memoir by the silent half of the comedy-magic act Penn & Teller, has died.

Joseph Teller died of cardiac failure Friday at an
assisted-living facility in Henderson, Nev., near Las Vegas.
He was 91.

Teller, who legally dropped his first name, said he loved his father's wry sense of humor.

"His sense of humor was strange and full of irony," Teller said Tuesday. "In November, he said to me, 'I read the obituaries every day and I'm never there.'"
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

skeptic555

Re: AP has reported that Teller's father has died

Postby skeptic555 » July 30th, 2004, 1:01 pm

Sad news indeed. It is rare that a celebrity shares any aspects of their personal life with "the public" - and rarer still that the subjects are worthy of such attention! But Teller's Pad was certainly deserving of that much and more. After all, he raised Teller...and therefore contributed significantly not only to the art of magic, but to the cause of rational thought and skepticism. Honorable pursuits, all.

The following was posted on the official P&T message board at P&T.com, so I am sure it OK to share here...

"Hello all,

It's with great sadness that I share the following news with you:

On Friday, July 23, 2004, at 2:25 a.m., Joe Teller, also known as Sonny, Snakey, Hasty, Zoont, Jose, and Pad, sneaked off to the train yard and hopped a freight car for the unknown. Mam and The Kid hope he drops a post card if anything funny happens.

There's an obituary here:

http://tinyurl.com/569yr

If anyone would like a message passed to Teller, please post it here. I'll collect them all and send them to him in a little while. Right now my heart is with Teller and Irene.

Sincerely,
Audrey

Webmistress:
The Web Home of Penn & Teller
www.pennandteller.com"

mark

Postby mark » July 31st, 2004, 2:12 pm

I know the pain of losing a father that you greatly admire. Mine was my hero, and five years later, it has gotten a little easier, but not a lot. It is hard to settle. Fondest regards, and heartfelt regrets.

Mark

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » August 2nd, 2004, 3:04 pm

My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.
Darren
Royal Navy
Baghdad
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Return to “Buzz”