Todd Robbins' Carnival Knowledge

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Todd Robbins

Todd Robbins' Carnival Knowledge

Postby Todd Robbins » June 25th, 2003, 7:13 pm

Though there are a number of elements that still need to be worked out, it looks like this show will happen. Here's the promo for it:

Todd Robbins Carnival Knowledge
The Sideshow Experience from the Bally to the Blow-Off

In this gasp inducing spectacle of real-life human marvels, purveyor of amazement Todd Robbins leads us on an unforgettable journey into the subculture of circus and carnival sideshow. A blast of Americana in the spirit of Ripley and Barnum, "Todd Robbins' Carnival Knowledge" will amaze and amuse with its oddly beautiful mixture of the gross, the strange and the just plain bizarre! Starring Todd Robbins, the Postmodern Master of Sideshow, and his coterie carnival sidekicks. Joining Todd onstage in every performance are such living wonders as Twistina-the Most Flexible Girl in the World, the King of the Wee Ones-Little Jimmy, Zanitra-the Gorilla Girl, Madame Electra-The High Voltage Lady, Olga Hess-the Headless Conundrum, Pythonia-the Snake Girl and the Flying Ebola Bros. Previews begin Thursday, July 24.

Runs: 90 minutes without intermission. May be inappropriate for children under 10.

SOHO Playhouse
15 Vandam Street (off 6th Avenue, one block north of Spring)

Thu @ 8PM, Fri @ 9PM, Sat @ 8PM & 10:30PM, Sun @ 3PM

In this show, walk the audience through what a sideshow is all about and deconstruct the elements such as the Bally, Dings, Freaks, Self Made Freaks, Working acts and the Blow-Off. I have banners by Johnny Meah, the Electric Chair from Jim Steinmetz that was used on the World of Mirth and Carson & Barnes Circus sideshows, Red Trower's swords, the Blade Box from Jay Marshall that was used in Dick Best's sideshow at Riverview Park in Chicago, a bunch of rhetoric learned from Bobby Reynolds, a Headless Girl and a Snake Girl illusions from Ward Hall and the Human Blockhead props left to me by Melvin Burkhart. I have been working on this show for about a decade and I hope it will be a fun time for all that come to see it.

Todd

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Todd Robbins' Carnival Knowledge

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 25th, 2003, 8:08 pm

Sounds fantastic, Todd -- I'll definitely come to see it.

-Jim

Return to “Buzz”