Coney Island Sideshow in trouble!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Coney Island Sideshow in trouble!

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2003, 3:05 pm

The recent bad weather on the east coast has almost killed business on Coney Island - and particularly, Todd Robbins' sideshow group. Thay are about to go under financially, and need our help! I have e-mailed Todd about posting here himself, but until then here is a little info I just read on The Visions Online newsletter, in Todd's own words:

"We rely on the income from the sideshow to keep our operation going and we are now in a financial crisis. It is possible that we will have to cancel the 21st annual Mermaid Parade, and if things don't get better, we will have to close our doors. We need the help of everyone that believes in the sideshow and all the other activities we have done in Coney Island for more than twenty years."

"Become a member today. Membership starts at $25 and can be done online. Here is the link:

http://commerce.pair.com/alhadeff/coney/join.html

I'm sending my money and so should you! Come on, Guys! Do it now and don't be stingy! --Asrah

Re: Coney Island Sideshow in trouble!

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2003, 9:01 pm

I think I was one of the few to read Todds post about this catastrophe on the Magic Cafe before the "powers that be" over there pulled it (probably because it violated one of their many curious posting rules).
I promtly sent in a donation and soon recieved a letter of thanks and a nifty membership card.
So just don't sit there reading this post!
Get off your vitual duff and make your pledge to support this marvelous group of affilliated artistes.
Operators are standing by.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 23rd, 2003, 9:13 pm

The link was not working for me so went into Asrah's post to try and fix it. I think I did.

I'm going to join right now, so I'm challenging the other West Coast magicians reading this to do the same.

Dustin

Todd Robbins

Postby Todd Robbins » June 24th, 2003, 8:00 am

I want to thank everyone for the support we have received from the magic community to help keep us alive in Coney Island. I almost wrote "keeping us afloat" but floating is what we have been doing in rain drenched Coney Island.

There are only three traditional sideshows left. There is our show, Sideshow by the Seashore in Coney Island, Ward Hall and C.M. Christ's World of Wonder Show (currently touring with the Reithoffer carnival) and Ken Harck's Grimm Bros. Sideshow in Seaside Hts., NJ. Ironically, all three are operating in the soggy North East.

In addition to the sideshow, we also run the Mermaid Parade, Burlesque at the Beach, the Coney Island Museum, the Coney Island Short Film Festival, a film series every Saturday Night, a lecture series every Sunday evening, the Coney Island Sideshow School and Creepshow at the Freakshow every October.

To make this all happen, we being a not-for-profit organization, rely on a limited supply of grants and sponsorship, and membership dues. A bulk of our operating capital comes from the money we bring in running the sideshow. This year there has not been ONE sunny weekend. No sun, no crowds. No crowds, no money.

This is why, as Chairman of the Board of Coney Island USA, I have been making a big push for memberships. I urge you all to join up. We have some GREAT things planned and you can all be part of it, even if you don't live in the NY area. One of the things we are working on is putting our archives online for all to use.

If the membership link listed in the posting above doesn't work, go to www.coneyisland.com and click on the membership icon at the bottom of the page.

Once again, I want to thank you all for your help.

Todd Robbins

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » June 25th, 2003, 11:54 pm

Do your part! Help this worthy cause! I did. Their website alone is worth the donation!

Return to “Buzz”