Penn Jillette's joke.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Pete McCabe

Re: Penn Jillette's joke.

Postby Pete McCabe » August 27th, 2005, 1:05 pm

Not only will there be a DVD, with lots of outtakes etc., but you can video yourself doing your own version, and the best submissions will be included on the DVD.

magicam

Postby magicam » August 27th, 2005, 8:26 pm

Todd Z. wrote:
[s]aw the movie and agree that there was way too much editing ... [t]his joke is a comedians "jazz" piece and every version is different. When you chop these versions up, you lose the artists creativity becasue it is blended and therefore dosen't make sense and ends up not being funny
Better put than my comments, Todd. And it's ironic (to me at least) that Penn recognizes in the film that "it's not the song, it's the singer," yet who would do a documentary on the jazz greats and chop up the riffs of Coltrane, Davis, et al., into three or four incomprehensible notes at a time?

Clay

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 27th, 2005, 9:23 pm

Penn didn't direct it or edit it.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 2nd, 2005, 7:50 pm

The Aristocrats FINALLY made it to central Indiana, and as reported above is very, very funny. But what is this all about: after 96 minutes of the grossest language I've ever heard, they show Johnny Thompson in a hot tub with a naked girl, but they BLUR OUT her breast! Like that breast was suddenly going to change the rating? Only in America!

BTW, I hope Eric Mead's card trick is scheduled to run in Genii.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » September 3rd, 2005, 8:22 am

It didn't have a rating. which makes that blur out even weirder. However the tagline of the movie said no nudity.

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » September 5th, 2005, 4:26 pm

Go see this if for no other reason than to watch Eric Mead's telling of this joke. Very well done!
"Those who do not believe in magic
will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » September 5th, 2005, 9:21 pm

An Opinion
I liked Eric Mead's take, as well as several other creative efforts shown, all of which went beyond the basic premises of the "joke" and added something really clever. I appreciated an attempt to showcase magic-guild members, but question the value of doing so in connection with this subject matter.

The joke itself is probably of British, working-class origin and a socio-political satire, painting the upper classes as degenerates who presumably are able to get away with anything due to their class status. It would have been funny and poignant (to many people) in the appropriate time and place, though few of the American comics displayed any such insight. Instead, most of the telling seemed nothing more than an excuse for gratuitous, pubescent vulgarity, without whatever redemption an intent to social comment might afford.

Many people believe that infants take in what you say to them even before they can use language. The use of infants toward the end of this film was not just in poor taste (the film was after all an exercise in poor taste) but probably should be considered child abuse.
Michael Kamen

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » September 6th, 2005, 2:10 pm

Hi Michael-

If we are going to open the "poor taste" and "child abuse" cans of worms...a lot of us out there doing kids shows and magic shows in general will be gulity. Joking aside...

I do agree with you. I wish those of us that have seen this movie could chat over dinner and talk about it. On some levels the movie was wonderful...on some not so wonderful...BUT we do it no justice online.

As much as I love this forum...talking like over the internet can be difficult at times, especially in instances like this.
"Those who do not believe in magic

will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » September 7th, 2005, 11:37 am

The # of "Amazing (Put your name here)" magicians existing in the magic world who lack an act of any sort highlights where magicians can take this joke.

Child abuse, that alot of overreaction.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2005, 1:59 pm

A number of years ago I made part of my living as a film critic. I made more money and friends by being a magician.

As a film critic I would say that this film is not for everyone - particularly those that are narrow minded.

When viewed in the aspect of Documentary Film - this is a study in process and initiation into the tribe of comics who perform and not just aspire. How do they make something that undesirable into something funny?

This film's subject is a much better study than say slipping on a bananna peal which causes physical damage when children try it. (Does anyone censor your kids act out of dangerous tricks?)

I am sure the reaction would also be very different from magicians if some comedy magic people were to slip in trick/illusion exposure with telling the joke. (BTW - Who was JT in that hot tub with?)

When a society gets too rigid to investigate what makes it laugh or cry it is slipping from civilization and freedom into totalitarinism in thought and deed. But that could only happen in fascist states, no?

I think the producers, directors and EDITORS did a great job. It held interest even though you knew what was coming next. I mention editors -- because they found gold among what had to be chaff and trunkated, incomplete footage.

Could knowing the end of the joke be compared with taking multiple trips to Niagra Falls or the Grand Canyon via different routes.

No! But it is a darn good film.

It is funny and revealing and has a real plot -- to show how comedians have to think and act to get a laugh - and how that tradition can change a mood - ala Gilbert Whatshisname telling it post 9/11.

That reminder of balance of tragedy with comedy was a dramatic moment that could have been straight from ancient Grecian philosphy and stage.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » September 9th, 2005, 4:07 pm

I just saw the movie, and was on the floor most of the time.

It was sort of like a theme and variations - the takes were very different.

Gilbert Gottfried was the highlight for me - Eric Mead #2 - the guys that did the Liza Minnelli and Christopher Walken versions - George Carlin, Bob Saget, Sarah Silverman - tied for #3, IMO.

Anyone interested in comedy should see this film - just take a real open mind with you.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » October 8th, 2005, 1:31 pm

... Saw The Aristocrats on Wend. night with a few magician buddies ...

... I loved the documentary and so do most of the rather small audience (less than 20) that were in the theater judging by the laughter ...

... it looks like they had a ball making it ...

... but keep in mind that as my wife has noted ... frequently at the movies, I am the only one in the audience laughing at certain scenes ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2005, 6:20 pm

My wife and I saw it as well. I am glad I saw it and I did enjoy the film, but I doubt I could watch it again any time soon.

I can't remember which comedian it was, but one of them told an Amish version of the joke that was surprisingly very clean, very clever and actually funnier than some of the filthy ones told.

Eric Mead's performance was great. Very funny with some excellent sleight of hand thrown in. Also, it was the perfect length.

As mentioned before, if you are easily offended or if there are subjects you would consider too taboo for comedy, this probably isn't the movie you should be seeing. If you want to see just how far some people can push the envelope of comedy, this is a great collection of comedianspushing their limits of comfort.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 10th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Originally posted by Mark Ennis:
I can't remember which comedian it was, but one of them told an Amish version of the joke that was surprisingly very clean, very clever and actually funnier than some of the filthy ones told.
The Amish version was Dana Gould. I've only met Dana in passing, but everyone who knows him says that he is just that funny every waking second.

Return to “Buzz”