The W(h)it and Wisdom of Mr. Haydn

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
John Pezzullo

The W(h)it and Wisdom of Mr. Haydn

Postby John Pezzullo » May 18th, 2002, 3:26 am

Check the following URL:

http://www.magicweek.co.uk/review_conve ... _haydn.htm

He makes an interesting comment about Dai Vernon's ability as a performer in comparison to his being an 'ideas man'.

Any comments?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: The W(h)it and Wisdom of Mr. Haydn

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 18th, 2002, 12:01 pm

I think Whit Hadyn's comments about Mr. Vernon could have been qualified with the following (and I'm fairly sure Mr. Hadyn would agree): Vernon stopped performing professionally several decades before Hadyn met him. The only people qualified to tell us what type of performer he was are those who witnessed him while he was in his prime (1920s, 30s & 40s). Like anything, performing requires constant practice, and Vernon was simply out of practice. I personally saw him perform live only twice and on TV a few times – and it must be kept in mind that the man was in his 70s and 80s at the time! He was, in fact, a good performer – but The Professor would be the first to say that he wasn't “great” by this time in his life! It was for this very reason that he was somewhat of a reluctant performer during this period. He knew his limitations. But even with those limitations, he would outshine many other “performers.” And, of course, Mr. Vernon was certainly one of the, if not the greatest magic “thinker” of the 20th century – thus Hadyn's “ideas man” comment is dead on target.

Dustin

Return to “Buzz”