Topper Martyn Dead

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Topper Martyn Dead

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2004, 11:44 pm

TOPPER MARTYN
1923.10.30 - 2004.05.24

A magic legend is dead.

Topper Martyn died in peace 17:00, 24 maj 2004.

"Topper Martyn was born backstage (almost), into a theatrical family in england. He knows show business on several continents, and is one of the busiest variety and club date performers in Sweden. In summer, he plays many of the big outdoor park shows. A few years ago he was acclaimed ACT OF THE YEAR by the Academy of Magical Arts."
- from TOPPERS MAD MAD MAGIC
GENE ANDERSON

http://w1.155.telia.com/~u15503543/toppermartyn.htm

Andrew Martin Portala

Re: Topper Martyn Dead

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » May 25th, 2004, 1:19 am

wow
It is sad but thinking about Topper did bring a smile to my face.I Remember him on Bill Bixby's Wonderful World of Magic,walking out with balls and playing cards flying all over the place from his coat.
Also didn't some kid tell Topper that he produce four balls and Topper came back with the reply,oh really I produce 300 . RIP :(

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 25th, 2004, 1:29 pm

Oh so sad... Topper was one of my dearest friends... we had breakfast every morning at the past FISM and over the years we worked together many times...

I am soo soooo sad.... :( :( :(
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » May 25th, 2004, 7:07 pm

im sorry to hear about your friend pete!!
-=tabman
Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Oh so sad... Topper was one of my dearest friends... we had breakfast every morning at the past FISM and over the years we worked together many times...

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » May 26th, 2004, 8:29 pm

That is indeed sad news. Topper worked many "the magic hands" conventions. I brought him back for the last two ones on popular demand. His act was just so hilarious. You could watch it over and over again and not get bored. More important than that he was also a personality backstage.
I am among those who will miss the old Viking.....

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » May 27th, 2004, 2:11 am

i always had happy talks with Topper at conventions and The Circle so I am sad at his passing but I do especially want to echo the sympathy for Pete as I know they were great friends.
Anthony

Terry_Holley

Postby Terry_Holley » May 27th, 2004, 4:42 pm

I never had the opportunity to see Topper perform, but a photo of him and the accompanying text in the August 1978 issue of Supreme Magic's "Magigram" left a lasting impression on me.

It was the photo of Topper posing with the Multiplying Billiard balls. He had balls between his fingers, three different ball stands all filled, a table and stool covered with balls, and balls of all sizes on the floor (one about as big as a cannon ball).

The text stated: "The world's record billiard ball production - 754 and a half at the last count. Eat your heart out Geoffrey Buckingham."

I have laughed about that photo and copy more than you can imagine over the past 26 years, and I have always wished that I had thought of it. What a great photo! No doubt magic has lost a great member of the family.

Terry

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 28th, 2004, 2:13 pm

I remember the photo in Magigram too, and even the number of balls mentioned. Also the fact that he spoke about 8 different languages.

The other thing that really sticks in my mind from the one time I saw him perform (must have been on TV) was a quick 3-ball juggling sequence in which the balls gradually get smaller and smaller, and eventually vanish completely. At least that's how I remember it - I never did have a clue how he could have done it.

Return to “Buzz”