Reed McClintock Dinner Theater

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
George Olson

Reed McClintock Dinner Theater

Postby George Olson » August 16th, 2006, 10:16 am

Id like to share an experience my wife and I had last night.

Reed McClintock invited us to his venue for an evening of fine dining and magic! There has been a lot of talk about Dinner Shows here and their various degrees of success. What we witnessed and experienced tonight was by far one of the most pleasurable events of our time together. The ambience of the restaurant (Voleur, in a turn of the century building at First & Ash), is quite compelling. A small venue seats 60 plus patrons with great sight lines.

They offer a set menu 5 course meal with the choice of three entres. I wont go into all the details, but combined with the Champaign, the gentle jazz guitarist and impeccable service, it was well worth the $90.00. When you add the magic of Mclintock, it's an entertainment bargain thats hard to pass up.

As many of you know, Reed has matured into a careful, talented, entertainer; his command of the stage crowd management was delightful. He has put together a wonderful 45 minute act combining his natural touch and out of the box thinking, to very basic magic. It is uniquely Reed!

Hes introduced his costuming fits the genre of the crowd for an old fart like me to a couple of counter culture kids. From business types to dating 30 somethings, he reaches all.

His opening is priceless, it sets the mood for the evening the production of a 3 inch Contact juggling ball. The routine beautifully carries you from the mundane to a mystical place with out leaving the room. Next is one clever routine 5 card repeat with a kicker ending taking it from comedy to a real piece of magic, an entire deck cascades from his hands! He follows that with a Misers Dream routine as only he could do it; combined with the devilish use of an egg bag. (He showed us this at FFFF this year.)

As an interlude, he did a bit Grave Mistake starting with an elaborate coffin, and ends up a garbage can. It absolutely captivated the crowd!!

Next he combined two classics: card in the envelope and bill in the lemon! Here his thinking was diabolically right on! Think card in the spectators wallet and signed bill in a jalapeno pepper (held throughout the routine by the spectator).

Folks were, by this time, mumbling to themselves (witch, warlock); he owned them at this point.

Next was an extremely tight routine with the Al Baker rope tie. He played it really well for laughs!

Then he concluded with one of the most original razor blade routines its been my pleasure to experience that had em guessing and wondering where the snow storm came from. . All in all, you are crazy if you are any where near the Portland area on a Tuesday night, and dont visit Voleur, Reed and Steven the guitarist.

On top of all that, Reed performs tableside Thursday, Friday and Saturday while the jazz is playing in the background. Then on Sunday he moves to one of the Hot Clubs in town Dantes!

I know Reed as a good friend, however I did not let that cloud my thinking regarding the seriousness of his work ethic and dedication to take Magic to a higher level.

Respectfully

GO

Re: Reed McClintock Dinner Theater

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2006, 10:32 am

Reed is a very artistic and graceful magician. His moves are fluid and he really understands how to present magic.
Steve V

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2006, 11:42 am

I was fortunate to see Reed perform last night at the venue GO refers to. I am happy to say that beyond putting on a superb show,I was able to witness a portion of the audience who really had no interest in seeing a magician perform that night( a glitch in advertising resulted in an unplanned performance)become totally enthralled in a presentation of what can only be described as one of the most entertaining hours of magic Ive seen in a long time...a very long time(nothing personal to the fellers at the SAM!)!!
Reed has selected and perfected some tried and true material and has added his touch to a misers dream production that can only be seen to be believed....no kidding,its that good...I was just as amazed and fooled as the laymen in the audience was.
A recent newspaper article was written by a reporter who had the same sterotypical perspective that many gen X folks share when they think of a magician..."a half-ass sideshow act by a guy with a bad combover and powder blue tuxedo who warms-up a crowd for a lip moving ventriliquist"...after witnessing Reed do his walkaround magic,followed by his dinner show,she,like the portion of the audience I sat with,was able to see the true art that magic can be when performed with well thought out routines and skillfully presented magic.
Bravo,Reed McClintock! Thanks for bringing magic to the hip mainstream crowd who still think of magicians as clowns in tuxedos.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2006, 12:07 pm

I had the great fortune to catch Reed's show last Friday. It was fantastic! He has really matured into a fine magician.

As usual, his contact juggling which started the performance was mesmerizing. The five card repeat with the kicker ending was poetry in motion. From a magicians standpoint, his misers dream was in-freaking-credible and then he followed up with a bill to Kiwi routine that left the audience awestruck. When he did his rope tie they were howling with laughter.

He ended with a razor blade routine that is unique unto him and one of the finest razor routines I've seen.

Reed's performance showed that not only is he a talented magician, but he is a talented entertainer.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 20th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Reed will be on the cover of our February issue and has graciously parted with four routines from his professional repertoire!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 20th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I bet he won't tip the card stab (to the tatoo'd cards on his body) :D :whack: :D
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 20th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Never say never: Reed once said he'd like to do a book on magic with tattoos and piercings.

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2006, 9:27 pm

As a founding member of the "McClintock Magic Design Team" I have to say I'm thrilled to hear that his act has been so well received. I've been working with Reed since he decided to take his formidable close-up skills to the stage, and it's great to hear that his hard work has paid off. Lest anyone take my role too seriously, I have to admit that the extent of my input in the process usually amounts to the following:

Reed: "Hey man, I just got back from a gig where I tried [insert wildly clever and eccentric bit of business here] and it killed! What do your think?"

Me: "Wow, keep doing that."

I can say, however, that I'm familiar with the material that Reed has chosen to release in the upcoming Genii issue, and it's all directly from the act you've heard so much about above. It's the product of lots of hard work and fevered imagination, and I think you'll be surprised how practical it all is.

Reed called me between gigs to say that he's delighted to hear that you liked the show, and he's excited that the Genii issue will give him a chance to share some of that show with everyone who can't make it in person. He promises there's more to come.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2007, 1:29 pm

hey I just found this today. Lost a lot of weight
http://www.kgw.com/drewcarney/stories/k ... 787a7.html

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2007, 3:31 pm

Some friends and I had the pleasure of seeing Reed's show last Friday night. I had read the review at the beginning of the post, which prompted me to go in the firstplace, so I knew some of what I was going to see. I was very impressed, and the show was surprising and very entertaining. My two laymen friends were both astounded, to say the least.

My buddy was chosen as the volunteer for the bill in lemon/card-to-pocket routine. It is a testament to Reed's performance that the recountings I've heard from my friends to other's, after the show, indicate that they have absolutely no idea how the bill ended up in the kiwi. Frankly, I'm not sure I know myself :eek: We all agreed it had to be magic ;)

Echoing previous posts - If you're in the in the Portland area go see Reed! He performs at various venues almost every night of the week.

Cheers,
Grey

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 14th, 2007, 4:03 pm

Reed has lost 140 pounds and he looks GREAT. Wait until you see the February cover story in Genii (which went in the mail a few days ago).

I'm pretty sure Reed is going to be coming to the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas and you'll be able to meet him at the Genii stand in the dealer room.

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2007, 5:38 am

Wow 140 pounds, now that's real magic! There's a trick I would pay to learn! :) :)

MitchSchneiter

Postby MitchSchneiter » February 3rd, 2007, 10:12 am

Last night I took my folks to see Reeds's dinner show at the Voleur in Portland. It was my first time to see him perform also. What a fun evening it was for both my parents and me.

His show was mystifying and entertaining and was certainly enjoyed by the entire audience. He definitely connects with the audience. If you are anywhere in the area you should make sure you see it.

My folks have seen a lot of magic over the years and they thought Reed was terrific. Not only did he amaze them during his show, he also floored them as he performed a few effects at the table.

Amazed and entertained by a talented and friendly guy. Thanks for the magic Reed!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2007, 10:36 am

Reed will be at the World Magic Seminar as a guest (not a performer) and often at the Genii dealer table. Stop by and say hello--it'll be hard to keep him from doing magic for you.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 3rd, 2007, 11:04 am

See you there.... sounds like it's going to be a STRONG ONE... pm :genii:
Stay tooned.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » February 5th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Breaking News - WMS - Reed McClintock - Genii Cover Star!

It is my very great pleasure to announce that a surprise bonus event has just been added to the program of events for the upcoming World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas - February 18 - 21.

REED McCLINTOCK will present a cameo performance of selections from his new Night Club act at the Club Voleur in Portland.

This special appearance will be at 11:30 PM on Tuesday evening, February 21.

Reed will be introduced by Curtis Kam.

Don't miss this one!!

Bill
Bill Wells

Return to “Buzz”