Carney's Wonder Cabaret

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
John Carney

Carney's Wonder Cabaret

Postby John Carney » June 8th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to make sure everyone knows about my Los Angeles theatre show. It runs for four more weekends. If you live in the Los Angeles area, I would love it if you added your name to my LA theatre show notification list , so I can Email you when I do future shows. Type " Los Angeles Theatre Shows" in the subject line and send your Email address to info@CarneyMagic.com .

Details of the theatre show, along with a map and updates are at the "Theatre Show" link on my web site:
http://www.CarneyMagic.com

Thanks for letting me plug it!
Carney

Carneys Wonder Cabaret

Forget what you thought you knew about magic shows! Wonder Cabaret combines Carneys love of magic, comedy, and music into a unique evening of entertainment. Featuring several new pieces and characters.

Have a magic lesson with Faucett Ross. Chill as Dr. Klien makes a ghost appear and flex its muscles. Catch Mysto-mania with Mr. Mysto. Each week will also feature one of Los Angeles finest singer-songwriters!

Updates, maps and other info at:
http://www.carneymagic.com/WonderCab.htm

Four more Weekends only!

June 3- July 3
Friday and Saturday 8 pm
Sunday Matinee 2 pm

Actor's Forum Theatre
10655 Magnolia Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91601

Reservations recommended
(818) 506-0600
Tickets $15

caveman

Re: Carney's Wonder Cabaret

Postby caveman » June 9th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Tina and I were at John's show on opening night and it was stupendous. Do yourself a favor and go spend a couple of hours in the presence of one of magic's great artists. John is constantly working on new material and you will find plenty in this show. The Leon Haunted House really plays strong, especially with the Dr. Klien character that John has added. His segment as Faucett Ross is heart felt as well as hilarious. And Mr. Mysto just plain rules. Before the end of the month, I'm going back for a second dose.
Mike Caveney

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2005, 3:19 pm

A few friends and I went last night and the Wonder Cabaret is GREAT!! A funny and magical show! John is very personal and up close with all his effects and Mr. Mysto is great!

For $15 - this is an amazing show

highly recommended!

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » June 11th, 2005, 9:34 pm

It's a terrific show, filled with wonderous magic. I always love John's card stuff, and he doesn't disappoint with Hoffzinser. Cups and balls, coin pail, puzzle sticks, and even a ghost story. It's close-up and personal magic by one of our most gifted artists, and a gosh-darn genuine nice guy too. If you're anywhere in the LA area, don't miss it.

John Carey

Postby John Carey » June 13th, 2005, 6:22 am

HIi there,

Magicians in England please note that John Carney will be lecturing in Birmingham on mon july 25th

Contact Keith Bennett at KB MAGIC for details

cheers :)

John Carney

Postby John Carney » June 23rd, 2005, 2:34 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to remind everyone in the Los Angeles area about my theatre show.

It runs two more weekends only, closing on July 3rd...... Details below.

If you live in the Los Angeles area, I would love it if you added your name to my LA theatre show notification list , so I can Email you when I do future shows. Type " Los Angeles Theatre Shows" in the subject line and send your Email address to info@CarneyMagic.com .

Details of the theatre show, along with a map and updates are at the "Theatre Show" link on my web site:
http://www.CarneyMagic.com

Thanks for letting me plug it!
Carney

Carneys Wonder Cabaret

Forget what you thought you knew about magic shows! Wonder Cabaret combines Carneys love of magic, comedy, and music into a unique evening of entertainment. Featuring several new pieces and characters.

Have a magic lesson with Faucett Ross. Chill as Dr. Klien makes a ghost appear and flex its muscles. Catch Mysto-mania with Mr. Mysto. Each week will also feature one of Los Angeles finest singer-songwriters!

Updates, maps and other info at:
http://www.carneymagic.com/WonderCab.htm

Two more Weekends only!

closes July 3
Friday and Saturday 8 pm
Sunday Matinee 2 pm

Actor's Forum Theatre
10655 Magnolia Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91601

Reservations recommended
(818) 506-0600
Tickets $15

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 25th, 2005, 11:06 pm

At $15 a ticket, John's show is underpriced for the quality of the entertainment he provides. He has a stage persona that is pleasant and charming. His characters are well-drawn and his recreation of a lesson with Faucett Ross is marvelously well done.

Along with the flawless technique, John has a fine speaking voice that is easy to listen to.

And for the acid test: on the drive home, my wife thanked me for taking her. She had a great time.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 26th, 2005, 12:42 am

So did we (my wife, son and I were there as well). I HIGHLY recommend that if you're going to be in the L.A. area next weekend, go see this marvelous show! You have three more opportunities.

Dustin

(PS: Actually four more: There is a matinee tomorrow; or later todaySundaydepending on your point of view.)

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2005, 10:21 am

My wife, Nancy, and I saw the show on Friday. It was wonderful. Don't miss this truly entertaining work of art.

The magic is top-rate, as you would expect, but the writing and acting is also superb. It is as enjoyable as can be for both magician and non-magician.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 26th, 2005, 10:56 am

I'll add these further observations:

There's nothing to steal in Carney's show. It's all idiosyncratic to him and his performing persona. A hack amateur might think that his presentation of Leon's Haunted House is worth copying, but would find it a rather dull, absent Carney's acting skills and the characer of Dr. Klein which holds it together.

The tribute to Faucett Ross is heartfelt, but only has meaning within the context of Carney doing it after his explanation of who Ross was and what he meant to Carney.

I'm certain there weren't more than two people in the audience who knew Faucett Ross (Pete Biro and me) but the lay couple next to me took it as the tribute it was meant to be as John emulates Ross in dress, voice, and manner, giving John a lesson in magic. The couple next to me thoroughly enjoyed it as did the rest of the audience.

Mr. Mysto is a funny character, and again, nothing that can be "appropriated" because Carney's acting skill is what holds it together. Carney has a light touch with people up on stage. They can be foils, but without the humiliation that seems all too common in what some consider "entertainment" today.

Carney begins with the Cups and Balls, establishing himself as a pleasant and thoughtful performer who has a good voice and is a master of his craft. He has the likeability factor of another mid-Westerner, Johnny Carson. It is clear that his work is the result of a lot of thoughtful analysis and performing experience.

He ends on with a personal note, revealing his deep love of what he does with a magical illustration.

The hour and twenty minutes pass all too quickly.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 26th, 2005, 6:05 pm

What can I say now that everyone has said what I was going to say (I guess I should have got up earlier).

One technical bit... Carney gets ahead with steals and loads so far even the most knowledgable mage doesn't catch a thing.

Perfection well done.

DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW.
Stay tooned.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » July 6th, 2005, 12:50 am

sorry i missed it. :(

Randy

Postby Randy » July 6th, 2005, 10:28 am

I had the privledge of seeing this show Sat night and it was great. John performed an excellent & charming show. He did mention that he has hopes of bringing the show around again during the holiday season so keep your eyes peeled. Also, you can get updates for future shows on his website: www.carneymagic.com

Return to “Buzz”