MAGICIAN WINS OSCAR

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Larry Horayne

MAGICIAN WINS OSCAR

Postby Larry Horayne » March 31st, 2003, 5:32 am

Adrien Brody who won the Best Actor Academy Award for his role in "The Pianist" makes him one of very few magicians to have ever won an Oscar. He is also the youngest man to ever win the award.

www.SandySinger.com
TAKE FIVE WITH FRANK

Daniel

Re: MAGICIAN WINS OSCAR

Postby Daniel » March 31st, 2003, 7:04 am

Orson Welles, a man of many talents, one of them magic, received two Oscars and, surprisingly, only one (and a shared one at that) in competition. That was for Best Screenplay for "Citizen Kane." The second was an honorary Oscar bestowed in 1971.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 31st, 2003, 9:30 am

Mel Gibson took an Oscar for Braveheart. I believe I've heard that he has at least an interest in sleight of hand.

Cary Grant, formerly on the Board of Directors of the Magic Castle, was nominated twice but didn't win.

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2003, 1:19 pm

also, from what i understand woody allen has more than a passing interest in sleight of hand, and I believe Annie Hall won best picture in 1977. Woody and Soong-Yi were actually in the audience when I saw On the Stem, the first time, (actually the second time I was sitting next to one of the editors of Genii i think, but I didn;t know it until he told me, and I forgot his name. if he is reading this, I apologize.)

honestly, I wish Orson Wells hadn't won that Oscar. this would put him in the category with Kubrick, Hitchcock, Scorsese and the other MONUMENTS of cinema (who all haven't won oscars) rather than with James Cameron and the like. (not to say he isn't with the monumental filmmakers anyway, just that he should have had the distinction of NOT getting an Oscar).

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » March 31st, 2003, 10:55 pm

I was just flipping through the channels (I'm waiting to see Todd Robbins on Caroline Rhea), and happened to catch Adrian Brody on Carson Daly's show. He did ye ole "Break a Pencil with a Dollar Bill." It took him a few tries...not sure if he was just building up or was actually missing it.

-Jim

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2003, 11:05 pm

you mean the one with the finger? people still do that?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » March 31st, 2003, 11:08 pm

Originally posted by Sammy Jankis:
you mean the one with the finger? people still do that?
Apparently!

-Jim

Return to “Buzz”