Alan Wakeling has died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Alan Wakeling has died

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 11th, 2004, 6:20 pm

Just had an e-mail from Jim Steinmeyer that Alan Wakeling died:

"I'm very sorry to report that Alan Wakeling died yesterday, November 10th.
Alan had been in declining health for some months, and it seems that in his weakened condition, he was just unable to fight off his illness. His son
John told me that he passed quickly and painlessly. He is survived by his wife, Helen, and three sons, John, Peter and Tom.
Of course, Alan was one of the great creators in this field, and he was also a very good friend, with an inspiring attitude about magic. I know that he's been proud that so many of his creations have worked their way into the performances of many professional magicians, and I'm sure that they will provide many inspirations in the future.
He will certainly be missed."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pepka

Re: Alan Wakeling has died

Postby Pepka » November 11th, 2004, 6:28 pm

This is a huge loss to our art. His book ranks among my favorites and he will be missed by all.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 11th, 2004, 7:02 pm

Sad news indeed. Alan was one of the more creative of our genre.

:( :( :(
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2004, 8:59 pm

I am deeply saddened by the news. Kind thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Jon Stetson

mark

Postby mark » November 12th, 2004, 12:59 am

What a loss to the community. Our condolences to those he leaves behind. Imagine what the set lists of leading magicians would look like without Mr. Wakeling's contributions. He will be greatly missed, and sadly remembered. What a wonderful, magical mind.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 12th, 2004, 3:01 am

Jim Steinmeyer's book on the magic of Alan Wakeling is an inspiration to all magicians who care about our Art.

We are diminished by his loss.

Matt Field

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » November 12th, 2004, 3:48 pm

Alan was very kind to me when I was a college student in LA. He was a truly wonderful, gentlemanly person.

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2004, 3:51 pm

3:47 11/12/04

Alan was a gentleman both on stage and off. He had the rare talent of seeming to be just a friend doing something to entertain you.

He was Academy of Magical Arts member number 9. I have the list of the first 25 members and it would seem that there are ony one or two left now.

Alan will be missed, partially for his contributions to magic but more for his contributions to any group in which he found himself. He was good company. He was a gentleman in the best and rarest meaning of the term.

Goodbye, Alan

a

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2004, 12:12 pm

Last night I performed at a private party. Mr. Wakeling's effect "Aces Front" from The Magic of Alan Wakeling was one of the effects I performed. It received an enthusiastic response from the audience.

I silently thanked Mr. Wakeling for a charming effect I've had the pleasure of performing for several years.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 14th, 2004, 4:26 pm

Where did he live?

Postby Guest » November 15th, 2004, 6:26 pm

Alan was a dear friend and mentor. All the high points of my years with Mark Wilson's Magical Productions, Inc. were due to Alan and his genius, his kindness and his unselfish attitude. My deepest sympathy to Helen and family. The magic world has lost a gentleman of character and class.

John Hardman

Torkova

Postby Torkova » November 27th, 2004, 11:26 am

I was so sorry to hear of Mr. Wakeling's passing. Although I never met him, I did call him up a few years ago and introduced myself to ask him a question. Even though he didn't know me, he was very helpful and open and said that I could call him anytime to chat. I now wish I had taken him up on the offer.

I treasured his book and was very depressed when a few years ago it got destroyed by serious water damage. As valuable as it was, I didn't replace it until just a couple of weeks ago when I happened upon a copy in a shop. I debated only a short time before purchasing it again and I'm so glad I did. A touch of synchronicity since my purchase was right around the time he passed. Rest in Peace Alan, your influence and memory will live on.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 29th, 2004, 9:14 am

I believe Alan Wakeling lived in Southern California Mr. Mullins. I'm glad I purchased the Steinmeyer book when it first came out. Just reading about Alan's true life experiences with the Bar Act makes it worthwhile...and valuable.

Return to “Buzz”