Press Release for the IBM/SAM 2008 Convention

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Press Release for the IBM/SAM 2008 Convention

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2006, 1:43 pm

2008 COMBINED I.B.M/S.A.M CONVENTION ANNOUNCES CO-CHAIRS

The IBM/SAM 2008 Combined Convention today announced the appointment of Roger Miller and Bradley Jacobs as Co-Chairs of the 2008 International Contest of Magic and Special Events.

The first combined convention of its kind in modern history, will offer $20,000 in cash prizes plus performing contracts of equal value, will be held in Louisville, Kentucky, July 21, to 26, 2008.

As we got further into everything that was going to be happening in 2008, and as we listened to our respective constituents, said Roger Miller, our committee felt that the idea of having a couple of official points of contact made a lot of sense. Now, theres no mystery as to who to contact should any of our committee heads be unable to come up with an answer.

Brad and I have worked well together during the past two years, both during the initial feasibility investigation phase as well as during our Planning phase of 2008. So our committee thought it would improve communication all around to put a couple of names on the door.

Roger Miller has been involved with I.B.M. conventions for more than nine years, having served as convention treasurer for most of that time. He has recently completed a highly successful year as International President of the I.B.M. Brad Jacobs, formerly Executive Director of the S.A.M. convention for 16 years, stepped down from active convention management following the Societys historical centennial convention in 2002. Miller and Jacobs are two of the six managers of the LLC formed to organize the combined convention in 2008.

I.B.M. & S.A.M. members are reminded that the registration fee for the 2008 convention, if purchased before December 31st 2006, will be $295 After that date the registration jumps to $395. For registration information members are invited to go to the I.B.M. Website at www.magician.org S.A.M., members will find information at www.magicsam.com.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Grant McSorley

Re: Press Release for the IBM/SAM 2008 Convention

Postby Grant McSorley » August 29th, 2006, 6:14 pm

At the IBM/SAM 2008 page, they state that they'll begin announcing the talent line up in January 2007. So if I understand this right, you get 100$ off if you register before you actually know who's performing and lecturing. Does that seem odd to anyone else? I'm sure they'll get good performers, but I usually like to have a bit more info before dropping 300$.

Grant

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2006, 7:02 pm

With cash prizes of $20,000 and performing contract prizes equal to that, you will see top-flight professionals from all over the world entering the competition because that's a good payday for almost anyone.

To answer your question more directly, yes, you will be able to register at 50% off the full price if you do it by the stated date, which is before any acts are announced. (MAGIC Live has run several conventions the same way--in fact, they almost never announce the acts in advance!)

It will be a FISM quality convention for a fraction of the airfare, a fraction of the hotel bill, and if you register now rather than later, a fraction of the registration price!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2006, 11:23 pm

"FISM quality convention"

Richard, that could be an oxymoron :-)

There are certain qualities we don't want ... LOL !

Seriously though - the IBM SAM event should be able to draw some top notch talent and so long that those organising can do so effectively & efficiently without internal politics - it really should be a great event ! Best of luck to those organising ... its no easy job, but I'm sure they'll do so in style !

Anyone know what is the maximum number of delegates they can cater for ?

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » August 31st, 2006, 1:27 pm

I was the 15th person to register ... sight unseen and without knowing a thing ... I expect the convention will be worth every penny ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Return to “Buzz”