Mad Science

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Mad Science

Postby MaxNY » January 26th, 2004, 4:28 am

Are you losing lots of Birthday gigs to "Mad Science"? For those that haven't heard of this, it's a chain of entertainers that have the kids make things like "playdoe" and stuff. The representative dresses up in a labcoat, and (by me) they advertise with wire-political-style things along the roadside. (Gotta be illegal). Well, I was watching VH-1's newest show called "Bands re-united), and I guess that Bassist Jon Crawford on the band "Berlin" is the owner of "Mad Science". I am wondering if he is the CEO, or just an owner of a chain??
I am gonna start my own chain of entertainers. You get dressed up like a clown, and the kids get to whip shingles at you!

Re: Mad Science

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2004, 9:36 am

Interesting. My wife is a teacher and if we go visit folks with lil' kids she brings along her box of stuff. She makes 'playdoh'and all kinds of fun stuff. Never thought of it as a commodity she could sell...meaning herself and what she knows how to do.
Steve V

Todd Robbins

Postby Todd Robbins » January 26th, 2004, 9:49 am

The Mad Science thing has been featured at Six Flags/Great Adventure's Fright Fest for the last few seasons in NJ.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » January 28th, 2004, 4:48 pm

Mad Science is offered as an extra curricular activity at my sons school run by the same outfit. They push the "you can have this at your birthday party" during the classes. Sure enough, last year my son wanted to have them...you know what...they were a hit at the party. They made super balls and made a water powered rocket.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » January 29th, 2004, 4:38 am

Glenn it seems to be a very organized outfit. Any idea what they charged? How cool is billing out a Scientist, and yet we "made superballs"?
---There's an episode of the The Simpsons where the kids are either at school, or at a party, and they hear that a magician will entertain. "A magician? Cccool" only to be interrupted by the fellow who corrects them and says "A Mathamagician", to sounds of groans.
---How could we all organize into something like that? (Have a cash flow that of "Berlin"). I know Silly Billy hires out other Silly ..... (Millie Vanilli's)....How about? Mad Magic. And we will make, not just Super Balls, but balls that "float". There used to be this fan in the local Sears that was always running, and keeping a beach ball afloat, I could watch that fan for hours.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 29th, 2004, 7:25 am

I spent three years as a science communicator for the Edinburgh International Science Festival, doing shows that were similar to those described. A few times I thought about branching out into other markets (we concentrated on schools and festivals) but never got round to it.

It is a very enjoyable and rewarding way to spend your day. I have always described myself as a scientist, but I know that to a small child freezing flowers in liquid nitrogen is much more interesting that the wonders of hydrogen bonds, although the two are linked, albeit tangentially. Making superballs in no way belittles these people.

Anyway, was there not an article in either Genii or Magic a few months ago about a group of magicians who operate as a collective? Seems to be what Max is aiming for.

Take care, Ian

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 29th, 2004, 7:48 am

I've never seen Bob Friedhoffer's show; doesn't he do something like this??

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » January 29th, 2004, 6:27 pm

If I recall correctly "Mad Science" is a trademarked name and it's a franchise type operation. They set you up in the biz..

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Return to “Buzz”