New Theory on Becoming Invisible

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

New Theory on Becoming Invisible

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2006, 11:02 am

Theoretical physicists are moving into our territory with some ideas on making things invisible :D . Here's the article:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/10/5/16/1

Ted

:genii:

Re: New Theory on Becoming Invisible

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2006, 11:38 am

If I read the article correctly it says they want to make a material which you can put something inside and NO light gets to it from outside. From what they described it sounds really good for experiments where you want to insulate photomultiplier tubes from external radiation.

As to making something of this material which one could wear much less move around in ... (remember no outside light) I have some doubts about this path toward a Harry Potter type invisibility cloak.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 26th, 2006, 11:49 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
As to making something of this material which one could wear much less move around in ... (remember no outside light) I have some doubts about this path toward a Harry Potter type invisibility cloak.
Ok, so maybe not an invisibility cloak, but it's definitely a path to Floating Head Doctor . :)

-Jim

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2006, 11:51 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:

The material is so invisible it only exists five years in the future, assuming they get funding, of course.At the moment, it's a "thought experiment."

And the problem of moving around Jonathan Townsend refers to is that if no light gets in, you can't see.

Alternatively, if you have an eye hole, as in a chador, viewers would see a pair of eyes floating in midair. But there are lots of magical applications: if it worked, it would be an advanced form of "black art."

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Originally posted by James in Toronto:
The material is so invisible it only exists five years in the future, assuming they get funding, of course.
Five years in the future? Then we'll be able to read about it in Roy Benson by Starlight!

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » May 26th, 2006, 12:32 pm

I, too, have seen other articles on this and the idea of a "cloth" is not in the cards at present.

The word they prefer to use is "shield."

Fred Z.

Return to “Buzz”