Vegas show recommendation needed...

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
skeptic555

Vegas show recommendation needed...

Postby skeptic555 » August 8th, 2004, 8:42 am

Like some of you, I will find myself in Las Vegas in just a few weeks. In poking around for shows to see in the convention "off times" I came across something called the "Mostly Magic Matinee" at Bourbon street (4 pm show). Anyone know who/what this is about? Bourbon Street doesnt even have it listed on own their site quite yet...

Similarly, anyone know who is currently playing in the Greek Isles WGMS? Last time I saw this at the Sahara, it still had Hobson and Sylvester...
I know they are gone, and that McBride was playing for awhile, but I belive his run is up as well...

Ultimately looking for something a little different, but still an appropriate part of the "Magic blowout" week! (seen Amaz J, Mac King, Lance, Cirque, Blue Man and P&T all multiple times. And would see them again, but looking to find something "else" if I can swing it...

Thanks!
Skeptic555
Steve Neruda

skeptic555

Re: Vegas show recommendation needed...

Postby skeptic555 » August 8th, 2004, 8:55 am

OK, adding my own reply, found this on the LV Advisor site...

Appearing At: Big Easy Showroom
120 E Flamingo Blvd.
Las Vegas NV 89109

Mostly Magic Matinee is a fun, family-friendly, afternoon extravaganza, filled with amazing illusions, stunts, and zany audience participation. Tyas Frantz and Nick Comis co-star in this lighthearted spectacle and are sure to surprise you with wonder after wonder. Mostly Magics dazzling illusions will fill you with surprise, while its ongoing comedy and death defying feats will keep you on the edge of your seat."

Can anyone provide a personal experience review?

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2004, 10:15 am

"Mostly Magic Matinee" plays Saturday through Thursday at 4:00 PM (Dark Fridays). Ticket prices are as follows: Adult General Admission: $21.55 and Adult V.I.P. Admission with Preferred Seating: $31.71. Next, there is Children's General Admission (12 years or younger): $10.75 and finally Children's V.I.P. Admission with Preferred Seating: $16.08. Close by at the Westin (Formerly The Maxim), Collin Foster has a Close-Up Show. "Quicker Than The Eye" plays 6:00 PM Saturday through Thursday (Dark Fridays) at The Westin, inside the David Brenner Theater. Ticket price is $32.94

Unfortunately, I have not seen either of these shows yet, sorry. :confused:

Rob James

Postby Rob James » August 9th, 2004, 12:09 pm

I can recommend "V" the variety show which is now at the Aladdin. Nathan Burton and Sarah are the only magic act but their illusions are highly original and well worth seeing. That show also has Michael Holly the juggler who is great, very funny indeed. I think I enjoyed pretty much all the acts in the show.

You may also want to check out the ventriloquist Ronn Lucas at the Rio. No magic per se but a very magical show and he's a fine exponent of his craft.

skeptic555

Postby skeptic555 » August 10th, 2004, 6:34 am

Thanks - Ronn Lucas has previously suffered from conflicting time-wise with Mac King... but maybe this time i'll do something different for a change!

And V is another one Ill strongly consider - especially as I understand Hobson is back as emcee.

Appreciate the replies!

Rennie

Postby Rennie » August 10th, 2004, 6:52 am

Steve,
While in Vegas do not fail to go visit the Planet Mirth magic shop off the strip on I believe Industrial Way.It is owned by Earl Chaney (related to Lon Chaney Jr.) and if you have the time he can tell you some stories ,and if a he knows you are a visiting magician he will show you his "back room". A great guy and you will probably find something you are looking for in the corner someplace in the shop.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

skeptic555

Postby skeptic555 » August 10th, 2004, 8:47 am

Rennie, I did that very thing a few trips ago, and ended up killing a few hours - turning out to be a highlight of that vacation. Nice guy indeed.
So, I can heartily second your recommendation!

Now, to go off on a tangent, from that visit I came away with the strong impression that Earl was the "original" Ronald McDonald... but I recently picked up Aye Jaye's Guide to Schmoozing (ill pick up most anything Penn and Teller recommend) and in the Bio, it claims Aye Jaye was the original R McD... so, who can resolve one of the great mysteries of my childhood? Anyone? bueller? Anyone?

SN

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2004, 10:29 am

The consensus seems to be that magic in Vegas is on the decline. The whole push to make Vegas a family-oriented destination was a failure, and they're going back to T & A shows. At least, this is what I've gleaned from reading the newspapers.
Most magic shows have cut back the number of performances they give per week.
I haven't heard about any new magic shows that are scheduled to open.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 10th, 2004, 10:58 am

Although I too have read (for at least 4 years!) that Vegas is pushing back toward T&A, I've not seen this in practice in terms of the big shows. Blue Man Group, two of the three Cirques (O and Mystere), Celine, Mama Mia, S&R before the accident, Lance, Mac, and so on are all still the big ticket and/or most visited shows, with a quality that is "better than Vegas" and are all fine family fare. (The Cirque that is racy tends to get sucky reviews, and one hopes Yellow Submarine will come to pass.) It's always seemed nuts to me for Vegas types to blame declining attendance on a lack of bare breasts. Hey, wait a minute. I love ...

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » August 10th, 2004, 12:56 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The consensus seems to be that magic in Vegas is on the decline. The whole push to make Vegas a family-oriented destination was a failure, and they're going back to T & A shows. At least, this is what I've gleaned from reading the newspapers.
Last week at the gym, I read an article on Las Vegas in TIME talking about what Richard posted .. read the whole article and there was NO MENTION of magic ... I was pedaling at the time and may have missed it but no mention of magic in Vegas article seemed incomplete somehow ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Randy

Postby Randy » August 10th, 2004, 1:40 pm

Steve, if you have not checked out the Rick Thomas show at the Tropicana you should. Great afternoon show that is very resonable in price and great in entertainment value. Also, great show for the family if they are tagging along. Have a blast.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 10th, 2004, 6:08 pm

Talked to Hobson, he's back in V
Stay tooned.

Return to “Buzz”