Stem cell's for Roy?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Stem cell's for Roy?

Postby MaxNY » July 1st, 2005, 6:09 pm

I haven't read the article yet, but just the headlines..."Roy.. blah blah Stem Cells"! I have been wanting to buy the paper, but haven't had the time, heads up... this tabloid sometimes gets pulled Saturday night.

Tony Razzano

Re: Stem cell's for Roy?

Postby Tony Razzano » July 2nd, 2005, 7:06 am

Max,
Is it the Post?

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Tony Razzano

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 2nd, 2005, 9:29 am

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » July 5th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Sorry, the National Enquirer...They claim stem cells from a pig!

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 6th, 2005, 12:37 pm

I think they have met some alien tiger trainers who use pig stem cells

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 6th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Actually, pigs aside, Roy is not the only one going over seas to get stem cell therapy. Quite a few of our older and more powerful ppl are doing it. Considering we virtually created stem cell technology, and then abandoned it because a group of luddites wants it gone. Well, it is sad. There will come a time when tratments for heart disease, paralysis, and other conditions that are untreatable today will be handled... Elsewhere in the world... routinely with stem cell therapy... I also predict, that you will see more and more older right wingers taking "sabbatticals" to Europe and Asia and returning in renewed vigor.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Bill Hallahan

Postby Bill Hallahan » July 6th, 2005, 4:45 pm

Doomo,

According to the NCB news story at the link posted by Jim Maloney, Roy is not having the contraversial stem cell treatment that involves cells from fetuses.

From http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4668038/detail.html:
Dr. Albert Scheller told the German Press Agency that Horn "is undergoing stem cell therapy using cells from his own body." Scheller said the "stem cells are removed from cartilage in the patient's knee."
Research using non-fetal stem cells has been going on in America for many years and is still going on. I expect Roy went to Germany because the scientists there are ahead of us in this particular area (but that's just a guess). We're not always ahead in all aspects of medicine.

I am not trying to raise this issue for debate. I just want to make it clear that the issue you brought up doesn't apply to Roy's treatment. I've never heard any objection from anyone, anywhere, including right-wing luddites, to injecting stem cells that weren't taken from fetuses.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 6th, 2005, 5:00 pm

I feel a religious and/or political nightmare coming on. Let us tread lightly in this area folks. Stick with what is/isn't going on with Roy.

Thanks,
Dustin

Steve V

Postby Steve V » July 6th, 2005, 5:32 pm

I get your point Dustin...I do think this means Roy is no longer Kosher.
Steve V
Steve V

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » July 6th, 2005, 5:35 pm

The U.S. has been behind in this area of research under the current administration (not a flame, just a fact) and recently the Koreans had some breakthrough that a friend of mine with a degree in biochemistry tells me the U.S. could have had several years ago if we'd been funded. Thus the U.S. is not only "not ahead", we are actually rather far behind.

Whatever is going on with Roy, I sure hope it helps him.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » July 6th, 2005, 6:54 pm

Based on the article I read about the Korean Breakthrough Roy will have to live to be about 110 to get a chance to try it.
Steve V
Steve V

Terry

Postby Terry » July 7th, 2005, 3:53 am

Considering where Roy started after being bitten, he has made tremendous strides forward in his rehabilitation prior to leaving for Germany.

Re stem cell - as posted by Bill Hallahan, they are using Roy's own cells and not fetal cells.

Re Doomo - being a conservative, I could get rolling, but I will respect Dustin's request to keep this above politics.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 7th, 2005, 8:22 am

Originally posted by Terry Terrell:
Considering where Roy started after being bitten, he has made tremendous strides forward in his rehabilitation prior to leaving for Germany.

Re stem cell - as posted by Bill Hallahan, they are using Roy's own cells and not fetal cells.

Re Doomo - being a conservative, I could get rolling, but I will respect Dustin's request to keep this above politics.
The non fetal stem cell therapy while useful, does not hold nearly the promise that fetal stem cell therapy does. And we are falling far behind in this research.

As to what type Roy is receiving. We really don't know, his publicist may simply be trying to put a good spin on this. We simply do not know.

As to your being a conservative Terry. I do not hold that against you. Someone has to represent the wacky side of government. Pro life AND pro death penalty! On the other hand, I am pro choice and in favor of unrestricted firearm useage. How is that for a combo?
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » July 7th, 2005, 10:04 am

"based on the article I read about the Korean Breakthrough Roy will have to live to be about 110"

The point I was making is that scientific research builds on itself. The issue isn't if Roy or anyone else can benefit from a particular technology, the issue is that we are not doing basic research. This means other countries will make the discoveries we could have made, and they will patent them, and they will make money from them, and they will bootstrap themselves with the knowledge they acquire. The U.S. will not.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 7th, 2005, 10:42 am

I guess we will just have to find other areas.

Terry

Postby Terry » July 8th, 2005, 4:27 am

in favor of unrestricted firearm useage.
A 2nd Amendment-er after my own heart!!

Haven't had the chance to tell you this, but I ordered some back issues of Channel One and Hoss, you live up to your picture on Conjure Nation! The magazine is great and the material some of the best.

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2005, 10:42 am

Whats the prob with us fallin behind in stem cell reserch? Somebody's making progress, it's just not us. Somebody will be making money on it, just not us. And many people will benefit medically from it, just not many of us.'

Humankind is myconcern, not just Americvankind.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » July 8th, 2005, 4:16 pm

"Whats the prob with us fallin behind in stem cell reserch?"

I'm glad you asked that :) . This was covered on a radio show I was listening too just yesterday. Basically the issue is that with this kind of research going on outside the U.S., scientists are leaving the U.S., and students are not attending U.S. colleges to learn science and thus help advance it locally. This "brain drain" means that the U.S. will fall behind in all aspects of science (we're already far behind via a couple measures as discussed on the radio show.) And, since science is based on building upon discovery upon discovery, this puts us behind not just on this discovery, but all further discoveries which come from it.

Other countries, China and India were mentioned, will thus make the discoveries and get the patents and thus will control the economics of further medical devices and substances. Given how much meds in the U.S. cost already, and the increasing demand for drugs to deal with diseases like AIDS, I'd hope you could see why this is a big issue.

Regards,

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 8th, 2005, 5:25 pm

Yes: It's a big issue, but not one that needs to be discused here.

I think I'll lock this thread.

Return to “Buzz”