Huntsville's Newest Magician

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Huntsville's Newest Magician

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2007, 11:16 am

Thomas Andrew Mullins was born 12/28/06 at 4:48 pm. He was 6 lbs 5 oz, and 19 in long. Mother is doing fine. Thomas was born with Esophageal Atresia and Tracheoesophageal Fistula (his esophagus wasn't connected to his stomach -- Google it), but underwent successful surgery to repair it yesterday, and is recovering nicely. We hope to take him home in about three weeks, and start work on his bottom deal.

Seriously, while surgery went well, and the doctors say he is doing well, he is still in the Neonatal ICU and has a long road to recovery ahead. We'd appreciate your prayers. But we are optimistic that before long, he'll have nothing but a scar to show for it, and we'll have a son to fill our copious free time for the next twenty years.

Thomas

Mother and Son

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Huntsville's Newest Magician

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 2nd, 2007, 11:35 am

Bill, let me be the first to congratulate you and your wife.

Looks like a wonderful baby boy (just keep him away from my daughter). :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 2nd, 2007, 11:47 am

Congrats, Bill, and I hope that Thomas has a full and speedy recovery!

-Jim

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » January 2nd, 2007, 12:11 pm

Bill

Congratulations on the birth of Huntsville's newest magician. I wish all best to you and your wife at this wonderful time for your family.

If I could suggest a stage name.

Perhaps "Mulleni"

Tom Klem

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2007, 12:16 pm

The birth of a child makes everything seem less important. It is the Greatest! My son is now 3 1/2 years old and I have been enjoying every minute so far...... you will however soon realize that sleep comes at a premium.
Congratulations Bill and all the best for mother and son.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » January 2nd, 2007, 2:28 pm

Congratulations!!! My wife and I wish you and your's a wonderful life with your new son. Welcome to your new roller coaster of life. Just remember that no matter how hard it gets...it's completely worth it.

Glenn and Malinda Farrington
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » January 2nd, 2007, 3:25 pm

Congratulations, Bill and Kathryn! Best wishes.

Tom Ladshaw

Postby Tom Ladshaw » January 3rd, 2007, 6:44 am

Bill....Best wishes to you both! Next time I'm in Huntsville, I'll stop by for a visit (and a ham sandwich!).

Tom Ladshaw
Covington, KY

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » January 3rd, 2007, 7:14 am

Congratulations!!

What a wonderful way to end the old year and bring in the new one.

Spend as much time as you can with him, the next 20 years will pass faster than you can possibly imagine.
Bill Wells

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 3rd, 2007, 9:28 am

Bill,

Let me add my congratulations! Let us know how the little guy is doing. Im sure that the Pros from Dover did as fine a job on Thomas as they did on my wife about 47 years ago when she had the same surgery. Relish every minute of the next 20 years; believe me, they go by FAST!

Dustin

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2007, 1:47 am

Congratulations!

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2007, 5:10 am

It's amazing what Doctors can do today, magic indeed. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for all three. Get as much sleep as you can now, because there will be no sleep in three weeks. Our boy is just now starting to sleep 6 hours at a time,( 18 weeks later).

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2007, 4:37 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!

Folks in the Rocket City will be busy for a while.

I hope his first words are "Roll Tide!" LOL

Bob and Lucy

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Originally posted by Magic By Sander - Bob Sanders:
I hope his first words are "Roll Tide!" LOL
Bite your tongue! My mom has already bought him a bib that says "I Spit Orange -- Go Vols!" (Thomas's daddy -- me -- went to Univ of Tennessee).

Thanks to everyone for the public and private messages, and prayers. Thomas continues to improve. We were originally told it would take three weeks after surgery to get him home. Surgery was on the 1st. A week later (last Monday), he had to swallow a barium solution and then had an x-ray. All results were good -- no leaks where the esophagus and stomach were joined, and the passage looked big enough for him to take food orally. Starting at lunch that day, he took his first bottle. We've been feeding him orally ever since.

We live about 15 mins from the hospital, and so every four hours either his mom or I went over and did his care -- diapers and feeding (if either was needed in between, the ICU nurses took care of him), and generally just being around him. He had the tube in his chest that allowed for drainage removed last Monday as well, and the umbilical catheter was removed Wednesday (which meant that all his nutrition since then has been oral -- no more IV). He has put on weight (almost back up to his birth weight).

All of this is good, so his doctors said he could go home. So we spent today checking him out of the hospital, getting last minute instructions on care, future doctor visits, immunization schedules, etc from the ICU nurses. And brought him home.

This is our first child, and Mom and I have been questioning ourselves with everything we've done today (is that enough milk? is the diaper too tight? what's that sound he's making -- is he alright?) I'm sure we'll calm down as time goes along, but this is scary stuff, being completely responsible for such a little guy.

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2007, 10:53 pm

Bill, belated congratulations. That is great news about his recovery. Good luck to the three of you!

Amos McCormick

Postby Amos McCormick » January 13th, 2007, 4:29 am

Congratulations, Bill. I'm glad that everything went well. There's nothing like a child to rearrange your life (in the best way imaginable, of course). Just remember, as they're growing up, kids eat bugs, dirt, and all manner of other unspeakable things, but they survive it all to become old, useless magicians.

:D

Return to “Buzz”