FISM 2009 poll

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

FISM 2009 poll

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 7:25 am

Since there are several diskussions going on in Europe, where the next FISM congress should take place, I decided to start this poll in a big US magic Forum. Im really interested in your opinion, where you would like to go for FISM 2009 and to quantify this.
The candidates are: China (Bejing)... no Website yet / Spain (Grenada)... www.2009fism.com / Austria (Vienna) ... www.fism2009.com
All candidates gave there bids to FISM and will be present with a booth at FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
The election will take place begin of August in Stockholm, where the FISM delegates make theyr choice.

Re: FISM 2009 poll

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 8:53 am

With the amount of "covert" dealings on the go ... along with "free" vacations ... I think China will very likely be the "selected" city

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 9:19 am

I'm Voting for Vienna since I've never been there and it's a bit closer to Sweden, where I live. It's also the home of my grandfather, as well. So, I'm really hoping for Vienna next time.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 30th, 2006, 9:44 am

I voted Spain because the level of magic, Tamariz, etc., there is very very strong. I would go to China if the Chinese Government would PAY EVERYBODY TO SHOW UP.
Stay tooned.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » May 30th, 2006, 11:39 am

Spell it Granada.

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2006, 12:24 pm

There was talk that Austria was withdrawing their bid over contractual issues. Don't know what the latest update is in that regard ?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Vienna has also, I heard, withdrawn from consideration.

The person championing the charge for Bejing is Eric Eswin, President of the FISM organization. China paid for all the heads of FISM to fly over there at some point.

It's hard to imagine a FISM in China. Very few Chinese have enough money to attend a convention like that, and you must get a visa from the Chinese government to enter China. That's not always easy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2006, 12:26 am

@Richard and Craig
unfortunately there are rumors that vienna was withdrawing, but thats not true.
There are several diskussions going on with FISM general management concerning television rights and contracts. The organizers of the Vienna bid are professional event manager and Romi (Roman Felix) runs his own agency, so he knows very much about event contracts. And he could not accept the FISM contract in that form. In several points both sides found an agreement, but there are a few open points. Nonethless Viennas bid is still actual and they will present Vienna for FISM 2009 and face to the vote in Stockholm.
For further questions dont hesitate to ask me.
best regards from Vienna :-)

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2006, 9:29 am

Thanks for the update in that regard.

FISM has become big business - and from what I hear - the contracts are becoming a little too over-bearing ... so good on Vienna for standing up and ensuring the best possible deal is secured.

China does indeed appear to be enjoying a possible 'insider' advantage ... for good or bad.

Attendance figures plummetted when FISM moved to Japan ... I expect a similar thing to happen with China from a pure geography perspective.

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2006, 9:49 am

How long has eric eswin been with fism ? is he voted on ? are there term limits ?

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2006, 1:40 pm

It was fun to click on the link with the Pen at the top of the Spain, Granada website and read the comments and endorsements for that location.

Plus their video of the city is fantastic.

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2006, 4:59 pm

I must admit the comments I read on the webpage about Granada were very good. In fact, they scared me a bit, considering that we, in the FISM 2006 group, are currently working hard to make this summer's event a good and successful one for everyone attending it. We're doing our best!

Aa a first time FISM goer, I cannot even make any judgement on what to expect. But I can say that our convention center is a great place for this event! It's a veey impressive place to be.

Perhaps Granada would be a nice place to visit for a future FISM event. It has very nice buildings. I still think Vienna would also be a nice city to have the FISM event next time.

China seems to be a question. I certainly won't rule out this as a option. It's a bit of a trip from Sweden, though.On the other hand, China does provide us an opportunuity to have a COMPLETELy different environment in scenery and culture, which can have appeal for 2009.The same would go for Austrailia, too.

So consider not only the possitive reviews given by previous experiences, but also consider taking the risk of letting other countries around the world have a chance to share with us a bit of their culture.

I thought it was interesting that the votes from the last FISM event went to Stockholm. This marks the first time Sweden or any nordic country could set up a FISM event. This shows that one has an interest in exploring the world.

It will be interesting to see what the results show in a few months.

Welcome to FISM 2006 and Stockholm Magic on Water!

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2006, 9:28 am

NEWS from Vienna

The organizers speaking!!!

Magic is Vienna ! Vienna is Magic!

Vienna Waits for you!

* Our convention venue: Reed Exhibitions - Messe Wien - a state of the art congress area close to the city center. (at least 3.000 seats, 800qm stage area, 1080 qm backstage area)

* Accomodation/Dinning/Shopping: Nearby you will find a lot of top hotels, restaurants and shops at all categories !

* Our show-theater with flexible stages and a moderne tribune system will be specially designed for Magic performances!

* Our ample space concept ensures that all events (shows, dealers fair, lectures, catering...) will be consolidated under one roof!

* No limit for participants because of our flexible convention concept.

* Our powerfull and professional organizing team guarantee a perfect realization of the FISM WCM 2009

* And finally: The climate of tolerance and understanding creates ideal conditions for this World Magic Event

We are confident that Viennas attraction, its rich cultural life, stimulating arts and music scene, its refined lifstyle, traditional elegance and emphasis on first rate service will provide an enjoyable and valurable 24th World Championship of Magic!

We definitley hope to welcome you in VIENNA at WCS, FISM 2009 - you will never regret!

Dr. Rudolf Heuer Dr. Roman F. Szeliga

Co-Chairs of the Organizing Committee (MRA)

Visit us on the Web: www.fism2009.at
Mail: info@fism2009.at

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2006, 8:02 am

Hello,

Some of you may know that I am the moderator for our webpage for FISM 2006. I wish for everyone to know that the views I've expressed here are my personal views and do not represent any group or any deals thatmight affect the outcome of the voting.

I have full respect for a vote of democracy and I wish for it to be a fair vote for everyone.

Thank you.

Andreas Ulanowsky

Return to “Buzz”