Magicsmith

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Craig Matsuoka

Magicsmith

Postby Craig Matsuoka » July 4th, 2003, 4:38 pm

Looks like some big changes are happening over at Magicsmith. According to Chris Smith, they will no longer operate as "a conventional magic store".

They're also referring their customers to Penguin Magic.

Could it be that Magicsmith is getting out of retail to concentrate on manufacturing and DVD production?

Anyone got the skinny?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Magicsmith

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 4th, 2003, 6:51 pm

Here's the notice from Chris Smith on the magicsmith website:
Hi Everyone,
Just a short note to say thank you for all your years of support. From now on, we no longer continue to be a conventional magic store.
But we're not pulling a disappearing act - and we don't want you to either. You can always come back to our site for the latest MagicSmith offerings. For everything else, I suggest our good friends at Penguin Magic. They're an outstanding store, heavily focused on customer service with some of the most competitive prices around. I highly recommend them.
A brief bit of business. . . All orders made up till July 4th will still be shipped, and any preexisting issues will be handled in courteously and efficiently - as you've come to expect from us.
Best Regards,
Chris Smith
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2003, 3:41 pm

Too euphemistic and softly stated for me; I am awaiting an e mail from Chris. Is he out of business, allied with Penguin, absorbed by Penguin, opening another venue? (ooops; that is the one item I forgot to include in my note) HIs Vox Box is simply incredible; what a great utility item! One viewer on Cafe Forum said it is not invisible, but I looked and looked and never noticed anything, even when told by the instructions where to look.

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » July 8th, 2003, 5:35 am

It looks to me like they will no longer be selling products from other manufacturers but will continue to sell their own line.

Scott

Postby Scott » July 22nd, 2003, 6:21 pm

Anyone ever find out what happened here? It's far too little of an explanation for someone who appeared to have a good business.

How about:

"I've decided to go into the production side of the business, thanks for your support"

"I've decided to go out of the magic business, thanks for your support"

"I've decided to partner with Penguin Magic, thanks for your support"

"Some a**holes forced me out of business by extorting money and threatening my family, thanks for your support"

I don't know about you all, but with no explanation, I'm not keen on buying anything with the magicsmith name or anything from penguin until someone assures me that everything is sound and my loyalty won't be abandoned AGAIN.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 12:03 am

I don't understand this implication that anybody has a right to know anything beyond the fact that they no longer are selling anything and are focusing on producing their own products (by the large link on their site, it's clear that they're not doing direct sales, since they refer sales of their own products to a section on the Penguin site).

Whatever the reason, that's Chris and the rest of his team's business, and if they have some reason to choose not to share it, that's their right.

Scott

Postby Scott » July 23rd, 2003, 9:03 am

Surely, they have that right and surely I have the right never to purchase anything they are affiliated with.

My point is that, when you do business with someone for years, as I did with MagicSmith, you feel like you are part of the family or at least a friend. Imagine you have a friend who emails you a note and says "I've decided to ....." and then cuts all contact with you without explanation. Surely you'd ask friends and family what happened to him/her.

If it's to persue another side of the magic business, I would like to know so I can look for products and support him. If it's to leave the business, I'd like to know so I can find someone else to establish a relationship with.

In the world of running a successful business, you don't walk away from your customers without explanations. That's a HORRIBLE marketing move.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 11:40 am

Originally posted by Scott:
I'm not keen on buying anything with the magicsmith name or anything from penguin until someone assures me that everything is sound and my loyalty won't be abandoned AGAIN.
Hi Scott,

Respectfully, I do not foresee anyone ever finding the long time sought after "business crystal ball" that will let them know what will happen in the future.

You felt abandoned and I am sure that was not the intention of anyone. They, apparantley, simply had to make a business decision that does not require discussion with the mass customer base.

What he did do in return is give a great suggestion as where to continue your business based on his personal dealings Penguin Magic.

I wish you luck in your future magic purchases from whomever you choose, but please do not harbor harsh feelings towards Magic Smith as a whole. Instead, support their decision to do this. They are and always will be a great group of people.

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Scott

Postby Scott » July 23rd, 2003, 1:31 pm

I'm not looking for fine details of any issues. I just want to know, are they out of business? Focusing on production?

Imagine you ate at a good restaurant once a week. Then, all of the sudden, the chef left. Wouldn't you try and find out where he went so you could enjoy doing business with him again? Or would you just say "Oh well, that sucks" and go eat somewhere else?

From the level of information protection on this, something isn't right. In a magic community that knows(and tells) everything about everyone, this one seems to be in a vaccuum.

As far as finding someone who'll be around. I'll continue my business with Denny. He's been around forever. No more fly by night internet shopping for me!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 23rd, 2003, 4:59 pm

This thread is, IMO, getting a bit out of hand.

I think the question being asked was answered quite clearly in the message from Chris Smith:

From now on, we no longer continue to be a conventional magic store.
But we're not pulling a disappearing act - and we don't want you to either. You can always come back to our site for the latest MagicSmith offerings.

What was unclear about that? It seems fairly obvious to me that they have decided to focus their business on creating their own products. If you go to their website you'll see that they have their own products listed on the site and you can purchase them if you like.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the "level of information protection." If you have any questions about this, their contact information is freely available from their website. In fact, I'll save you a step and post it here:

E-mail: Chris@magicsmith.com
Phone: (949)742-9917
Fax: (775)637-5778
Address:
23333 Ridge Route, Unit 139
Lake Forest, CA 92630 USA

And one more thing...I'd hardly classify a business that's been around almost 10 years and is, in fact, still in business as "fly-by-night".

-Jim

Scott

Postby Scott » July 23rd, 2003, 5:51 pm

That statement is exactly what's confusing!

"we no longer continue to be a conventional magic store"- (got it- we're out of business)

"But we're not pulling a disappearing act" - (got it- you're still in business)

Buy everything from Penguin magic, not us - (got it- out of business)

Come back for our latest offerings - (got it- still in business)

Hence the issue. I don't know why someone can't answer the question. What will MagicSmith be offering to the public in the future? I don't need specifics, I just want to know, will they be producing a line of "MagicSmith" only items? For Pete's sake, I'm TRYING to find out what they will be selling so I can BUY SOMETHING from them in the future. I didn't know that was a crime these days.

Will they be producing videos? Tricks? It's kind of nice to know when you are shopping, what is available from who and who's got what in the pipeline.

Don't tell me. At this point, I'm about to stop caring about a company who I dealt with for years. I spent 1000's of dollars with them, and I'm TRYING to spend more in the future some time, but I have no idea what's going on. Again, it's not my loss, I just wanted to know what the plan was because I felt the initial statement was unclear. Apparently it's clear to people who know him, but to people who are out of the loop, it's VERY unclear, hence my post.

He doesn't owe me an explanation, I'm just a loyal customer trying to find a place to spend money. Apparently that's not important to anyone BUT me.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 6:01 pm

Scott,

Try getting the info from the horses mouth instead of venting here.

Jim posted all of the contact info. I am sure Chris will e-mail or contact you in some way with any relevant info that you request.

Here is the same info again.

E-mail: Chris@magicsmith.com
Phone: (949)742-9917
Fax: (775)637-5778
Address:
23333 Ridge Route, Unit 139
Lake Forest, CA 92630 USA

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

ps...10+ years, agreeably, is NOT fly by night...

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 23rd, 2003, 7:18 pm

I don't know why someone can't answer the question.
I know why. Because we are not Chris Smith.

I should point out that I'm in exactly the same position you are -- someone who has bought from them numerous times and hasn't been told anything other than what's posted in the MagicSmith website. But, from my understanding of the message on the website, there are two things we know:

1. MagicSmith is no longer a regular dealer. This means that you can't go to them to buy the latest books, videos, tricks, etc. You won't find L&L's new video there, nor will you find the latest Stephen Minch publication. What you will find brings us to #2...

2. MagicSmith is still operating as a producer of magic items. I can't tell you exactly what they'll be producing, as I'm not them. But I think it's fairly safe to assume that they will be producing the same things they've produced in the past: videos, tricks, etc. Just look at their website to see what's available from them.

And once again, if you want information, stop hanging around on a message board with people who have nothing to do with MagicSmith -- go straight to the source. As a loyal customer, you should know that Chris is a good guy and would more than likely be happy to answer any questions you have.

-Jim

Scott

Postby Scott » July 23rd, 2003, 7:23 pm

So I can expect the next person who asks a question about Busby to be told to go ask Busby?

It's a forum called "Buzz".... people can talk about Kohler, Lassen, Wayne, Busby, and anyone else, but I post a question here and it's out of line.

Simply amazing.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 23rd, 2003, 7:27 pm

...Simply amazing.
Sure... anybody been to Tannen's recently?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 8:25 pm

It's a forum called "Buzz".... but I post a question here and it's out of line.

Simply amazing.
Scott,

Your question is not out of line. The answer was given by Richard as a copy and paste directly from Chris Smith.

What I am going to say, you may not like to hear. Bottom line though, I have no problem being straight with you. Since Richards post, and there is no nice way to say this, you seem to be whiny. You seem upset that Chris did not include you in his decision making process and there is really nothing you can do about it. Sorry.

You say you felt abandoned AGAIN. Not true, he reffered you to another reputable dealer.

You say you feel like you are part of the family or at least a friend. True, and you still are. But it does not afford you the right to a friend or family members business decisions. Fortunately & unfortunately, all relationships have a line in the sand somewhere.

You say that you are just a loyal customer trying to find a place to spend money. Apparently that's not important to anyone BUT me. Not true, we just do not have direct answers for you and have tried to show you the right direction to get the answers you really want.

Your question has been answered indirectly several times over on this forum by people giving you contact info that you already have. The people on this forum support you and understand that you were a loyal customer of Magic Smith.

We are not trying to beat you up and I apologize if it seems that way. We are just trying to give you info but you do not seem satisfied with our answers.

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 23rd, 2003, 8:45 pm

So I can expect the next person who asks a question about Busby to be told to go ask Busby?

It's a forum called "Buzz".... people can talk about Kohler, Lassen, Wayne, Busby, and anyone else, but I post a question here and it's out of line.

Simply amazing.
Who said your post was out of line? I certainly didn't. I can't see anyone else here saying that either. What we are doing is giving you the information you are asking for, to the best of our knowledge. We are also saying that if you want more information to go to the person who can give you the best information about it. I don't see how that's a problem.

No one here is withholding information or purposely keeping secrets form you. Like I said earlier, we're all in the same boat as you -- just regular customers who don't know any more about the change at MagicSmith than you do. Therefore, if you want further information, go ask the person who can give it to you. Why is this so hard?

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 9:16 pm

We called Chris before this thread ever started...

It was simply his decision to focus his business in another direction...mainly theme parks, etc.

Better money for less work...makes sense doesn't it?

As for not sending out an explaination to everyone..he doesn't have to..it's his own private business what he does with his company...

Nothing was done to hurt anyone. Ask yourself if he would feel as "betrayed" if you decided to shop somewhere else...this is business, not a marriage.

You are taking this way to personal...he did everything by the book. He even searched out a good dealer to send his customers to. He didn't have to do that.

So relax...no one here meant any harm to anyone...there were no attacks except where they were provoked..and trust me..you ain't been attacked... There have been some real knockdown drag outs on this board.

So lighten up, and find a new favorite dealer...Penguin Magic does a great job, and Chris gives them the big thumbs up...

Rosie

Scott

Postby Scott » July 24th, 2003, 4:47 am

The point was that I wasn't sure what happened to the business. I was confused. Rightly so according to the somewhat confusing message that was posted and the suddeness of this happening. 1/2 of what I said was to get reactions. I personally don't care. I'll just buy it from one of the other 100 shops out there. No skin off my back.

I posted this in a "RUMOR" thread because it was simply that. What is amazing to me is that if Busby wipes his butt, it gets 50 posts on this board, but a MAJOR magic dealer stops selling product and it gets 2 or 3 posts. USUALLY someone close to the source in lurking on this board at all times and I was certain that someone who knew Chris would have popped in and said...

"It was too much work, he's decided to go back to performing for a living".

But, we didn't get that. I haven't contacted him, because I don't care.

2 other people posted the same question I had, but they got no replies. I just find it odd in a rumor filled world of magic, that no one wanted to throw anything out there about it. Trust me, I couldn't care less that I have to buy from someone else now. Like I said, normally, David Copperfield impregnating a spectator gets 50 replies, but a major company goes off the market and it's crickets chirping in the background.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 7:27 am

... but a major company goes off the market and it's crickets chirping in the background.
That's where you have it wrong...

a major company did not go "off the market". That's why there was no outpouring of concern...

All Chris did was start selling his products through other dealers and stopped doing it himself...

I also think most people were satisfied with Chris's statement, hence the two or three "concerned" posters...

Also, if you have read up on Busby, you know that he ripped off lots of people. Therefore, he garnered a lot of attention. He stole from people, and angry people have long memories...

Chris, on the other hand, has a outstanding reputation, and no one figured anything "shadey" was happening. He took care of his customers and made sure everything was squared away..

And as far as Copperfield goes, that comparing apples to oranges...EVERYONE can have an opinion about DC...He's a public figure...and impregnating gals in public is an impressive stunt..though I understand it will get you arrested in some states.

Rosie

Scott

Postby Scott » July 24th, 2003, 7:35 am

Rosie, it is "off the market" as I can't buy a fraction of the items that I could buy 1 month ago.

As far as rumors, I would argue that Todd Lassen has a great reputation as well, but it didn't stop 100's of posts when the whole U3F/Lassen/Kohler issue came up. That was a private matter, but yet it had 100's of posts. Was there anything shady? I have no idea.

So why it is okay to discuss that, and not magicsmith?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 24th, 2003, 8:33 am

So why it is okay to discuss that, and not magicsmith?
We are discussing MagicSmith -- what do you think this whole thread is about?

Rosie, it is "off the market" as I can't buy a fraction of the items that I could buy 1 month ago.
I don't know what else you're looking for. I've given you the contact information for MagicSmith. I've told you what the situation is. What more do you want? In case you didn't understand my first several posts, I'll restate it again here:

1. MagicSmith is no longer a general magic dealer. They will not stock books, videos, tricks, etc. produced by other companies. Therefore, you will not be able to purchase any L&L videos, your favorite Kaufman book, or the latest Jay Sankey effect. You can't go to them to replace your old thumb tip nor pick up that dancing cane you've always wanted.

2. MagicSmith will continue to produce and sell their own items. Therefore, if you want Paul Green's videos, or the Gregory Wilson tapes, you can buy them direct from MagicSmith. Any item produced by MagicSmith will be available from their site.

This is why you are only finding a "fraction of the items" you could a month ago.

-Jim

Scott

Postby Scott » July 24th, 2003, 8:54 am

Ahhh....I get it now. Thanks Jim!

Return to “Buzz”