"Shade" direct to video?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

"Shade" direct to video?

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 8:44 am

In yesterday's Chicago Tribune there was an interview with Sylvester Stallone. It talked about his role in the upcoming Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over and Rocky VI. It mentioned how his most recent efforts have bombed or hadn't received a U.S. theatrical release. Accompanying the article was a graphic showing his recent feature films and their box office totals. Shade was included but had an asterisk by it. Upon looking up the notation, it stated, "Never released in theaters; went straight to video, which is usually not a good thing."

Anyone hear anything of this? Is it out on video?

Frank Yuen

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: "Shade" direct to video?

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 24th, 2003, 10:11 am

Sounds like it - check out this site:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=pr ... 58&intl=us

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 3:56 pm

Shade premiered on the last day of this year's CineVegas Film Festival. It was listed as a "sure bet" category (films with US Distribution.)

Cinema Vegas Sure Bet Link

The problem is... there is no such thing as a "sure bet"... especially in vegas.

I read a discussion thread on www.imdb.com that Shade did well at the CineVegas screening and it may be released in the US this fall in a limited distruibution. But no firm release date was set.

I doubt anyone really knows for sure whether this film will be released in american theaters or not. The ultimate decision seems to be in flux.

If it goes straight to video, it likely will be a blockbuster exclusive... like some of Stallone's other recent flops.

I saw some clips of Shade at last year's LVMI convention, and I really liked what I saw. Hopefully it does get a chance to apear in theaters.

- Oliver

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2003, 4:24 pm

At the moment it looks more and more like Shade's theatrical released won't happen until January.
The cut that was shown was the producer's cut, not the director's cut (which is considerably different). The reports that Shade will go directly to home video are incorrect and based on false information. At this time there is still every reason to expect that it will have a theatrical release.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2003, 1:53 pm

I recently sent an inquiry to RKO Pictures regarding the release of Shade. Here is their reply:

"The current plans contemplate a theatrical release of the picture either this Fall or early next year. Regards, RKO Pictures "

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » July 30th, 2003, 12:40 am

There is a little site about Shade on RKO's website:
http://www.rko.com/movies_shade.html

I'd like to get that poster.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Return to “Buzz”