Pure, Pristine, and Powerful Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jon Racherbaumer

Pure, Pristine, and Powerful Magic

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » August 6th, 2001, 6:34 pm

I just returned from the PCAM that was held in Palm Springs and saw many wonderful and baffling things. Some were only tangentially related to the convention itself. Dean Dill, who was a dealer, performed a VERY clean and direct mystery that I witnessed several times, along with many other beady-eyed retrograde analysts. He let every skeptic examine his close-up pad, a half-dollar, and two playing cards. Dean's hands were absolutely empty and his sleeves were rolled up.

He then cleanly showed both sides of one playing card and dropped it face down on the pad. He showed both sides of the other card and dropped it face down onto the half-dollar. He then removed the half-dollar from under its card (it was clearly visible) and cleanly slid it under the other card. Next he stepped back, never touching the props again, and snapped his fingers. Then he asked someone to turn over the card now covering the coin. The coin was gone. He then asked someone to look under the other card. The coin had returned.

Everything could be examined.

In light of the Too-Perfect Theory discussion, several likely avenues (to a solution) are shut down because of the handling and conditions. Dean's hands were empty, empty. his handling was absolutely fair and above board.

Oh, yeah...He says that the coin can be signed.

None of my conjectures turned out to be THE solution.

Dean has been frying well-posted magicians with this one.

I love the minimalism and simplicity of the effect.

It was a beautiful to experience astonishment again.

Oh, yeah...one more thing...

Dean ain't tipping and it ain't gonna be marketed and it ain't even Dean's concept or effect.

So, Too-Perfect Theorists, put on your skull caps...

BTW, Dean also showed me several other killer routines.

Onward...

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Jon Racherbaumer ]

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Jon Racherbaumer ]

Re: Pure, Pristine, and Powerful Magic

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2001, 10:18 am

Hey Jon,
I saw Reed McClintock do a very similar if not same effect at the A-1 convention this year. I'm not sure if he uses the same method as Dean but it looked really good.
Karl

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 13th, 2001, 10:39 am

I just got an e-mail from a fellow named Armando Lucero who claims to be the originator of the coin trick which Dean Dill performed that so intrigued Racherbaumer. Can anyone confirm this?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2001, 10:47 am

I don't know Richard. I saw Reed do it but he didn't tip it and he didn't say whose it was. My friend figured out a method and the sleight, if done right, is really undetectable.
Karl

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 22nd, 2001, 7:16 am

I am still trying to figure out what a beady-eyed retrograde analyst is.... :D

Wish I could have been there with you Jon! Sounds wonderful

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2001, 2:35 am

Here's a confirmation. Armando Lucero is the true inventor of this "mystery" one coin routine.

The routine is still unpublished. Armando resides in Las Vegas as a very active performer of magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 26th, 2001, 3:13 am

Hi Bob,
If Armando is a friend of yours, perhaps you could persuade him to let me publish the item in Genii before some naughty person rips him off. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2001, 4:42 pm

Jon:

I hope you were able to see Armando perform not only the two card/one coin effect you saw, but at least four other "Matrix" type effects using whatever magic he has discovered. He blew everyone away, night after night, at the hospitality suite, and from my vantage, received more buzz than any other act at the convention for pure magicality.

But the coins were just part of his talents; a number of great new card moves and routines, some crazy-ass 3D geometric building construct which can become anything, and a generous and gracious manner.

Great convention, by the way, and a pleasure talking to you.

Randy Campbell

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » August 26th, 2001, 7:04 pm

Hello everyone
This thing you are talking about is armandos, I showed it to dean at a-1 when dean asked It was in front of kohler and some other guys and kohler verified it with dean that it was armados sleight and killer it is indeed. I have been doing it for about two years, when I do it I dont tip it. but I have always said it is armandos from vegas, whom which is a wonderful performer

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » August 26th, 2001, 11:01 pm

Someone named Armando Lucero got 30 points on The Gong Show in 1976.

I could not verify that it was for a one coin - two card transpo.

Steve H

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2003, 3:09 am

I am writing here to clear up some confusion. I want it understood by everyone out there that I met Reed McClintock a few years back and shared with him my rebound effect (two cards and one coin). He has and will continue to have my permission to perform rebound. I also want it known that he has never betrayed my trust. I hope that this message resolves any confusion about this matter for now on.

Sincerely, Armando Lucero

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » September 23rd, 2003, 10:19 am

I like Richard's idea of publishing the item in Genii. :)

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » September 23rd, 2003, 10:29 am

Jon,

Just out of curiosity: how far apart were the two cards after they were placed on the table? Were they side by side?

I too would like to see the method in print but suspect it may be quite a while before that happens. In the mean time, it is an interesting problem to mull over.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » September 23rd, 2003, 11:01 am

Frankly, I'm still recovering from a visit to Dean's shop when he fried me with that damn Dean Dill Box with the rope going through it. Now something else to go insane over... :mad: P.S., Dean's Matrix work was a joy to watch...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 23rd, 2003, 11:57 am

If you read our FISM report you will see that Armando "fried" over 2400 people with REBOUND. He created it, it took him 10 years to perfect, and as Armando stated here earlier, Reed McClintock can do it and has NOT TIPPED.

Armondo will be at the WMS in January, so pack your bags and be there and see that Miracle is NOT the ONLY Miraculous work he can do.

You should see him with cards. And balls, and... well, you should see him.... :genii:
Stay tooned.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 23rd, 2003, 12:55 pm

Hello everyone,

This story has raised a perpetual ethical dilemma once again (or not, depending on your point of view...)

Here we have been told of an effect, which many of us have not seen. The creator has been identified, and has expressed that his confidents will not tip the method.

What, then, are the rights and wrongs about working out a method for the effect? If you are working strictly from a description, and replicate the effect, do you own that version? Should you leave well alone?

I have my opinion, which I'll keep for the while. I will add that I have read _many_ quotes by people who enjoy working out methods from descriptions in dealers' ads, myself included. The arrival of video clips on the web, however, has clouded the issue as we can now see the effect, rather than work from a description.

Anyway, flame on...

Take care, Ian

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » September 23rd, 2003, 2:03 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
If you read our FISM report you will see that Armando "fried" over 2400 people with REBOUND. :genii:
Is that not a picture of Armando performing the effect on page 40?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 23rd, 2003, 2:46 pm

Yep indeed that is it... You can see the two cards and the coin and the look on their faces. :D
Stay tooned.

mark

Postby mark » September 23rd, 2003, 4:17 pm

I had the pleasure of spending a bit of time with Mr. Lucero at the LVMI, and found that all of the fuss about his magic is more than well deserved. He is the real deal, someone who can do the large movements of a stage magician, and who can absolutely amaze you at the close up table. He is expertly adept with cards, coins, balls, you name it. He is most serious about his magic, and he is also very passionate about the ethics concerned. He has put so much work into his effects, and during his lecture he described the conundrum of wishing to give back to the art, vs. 'trick hunters.' I am just happy that I have been able to see his work, and I am proud that he has allowed me the opportunity to learn a bit from him. I don't know that he will be gracing us with any more lectures in the near future, but I am certainly glad that I was able to make LVMI.

Return to “Buzz”