Satanic Booktest now SHIPPING!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Satanic Booktest now SHIPPING!

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2004, 7:21 am

Opie, please restrain yourself. I've deleted your most recent post. Please don't make any further posts in this thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2004, 9:13 am

I do not know Mr. Houston as well as I might, nor indeed as well as I wish, but I do know that he deserves our profound respect. Not only has he been doing magic for fifty years, he has lived life, in many places and fashions, and has this to offer in his magical presentations.

Some of the rancour on this thread may be generated because Opie is more capable of enthralling an audience with things found in a dollar store than most of us, even if we had the most expensive items from the world's best magic store. Is he somewhat hostile in this thread? Perhaps he has a right to be! He's trying to save us money, and time and time again, I've seen him get slammed by kids enraptured with their latest shiny gimmicks, when Opie suggests they might be better off with a dusty old book, or doing some research. Continually getting slammed for trying to help people...as a man, a texan, and a military fellow, I don't question that he would treat those that slam him with some hostility!

Mr. Henderson makes a remark about six people saying positive things, while Opie is the only one saying something negative.

This day in age, I would take the advice as a vetran performer, a true sage, such as Opie, over a whole host of lesser magi.

Jim S.

Postby Jim S. » March 11th, 2004, 9:32 am

Hello Brad,

I was one of those who asked you to release that fine routine to the public. When I heard that you priced it at $50 I was incensed. How dare you put out such a wonderful product at such a paltry sum! What's next? Lecture notes that masquerade as a real book for $25? A brilliant book on cold reading for $30? Is nothing sacred?

I must add, though, that I find your presentation for both the ABC Blocks and Hippity Hop Rabbits to be mundane and derivative. I have the right to express this opinion because I have never seen you perform either piece, nor have I read of any performances of yours for these plots.

Sincerely,

Miss CleOpie
aka Jim Short

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2004, 9:42 am

I don't get it. Motlov Cockatials anyone?

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » March 11th, 2004, 9:59 am

I posted my review of The Satanic Booktest at three other fora. I probably should have posted it here, too. I did not realize that my review might have been read by someone and then (apparently) been used as a reference to slam one of the best book test routines I have ever purchased. So here is the review as I posted it elsewhere:

=================================================

My copy of The Satanic Book Test arrived in this morning's mail. I collect book tests, and I own just about all of the book tests currently available. The ones that I don't own, I have had a chance to see first-hand in the library of Ted Lesley. So I think I am qualified to judge this book test as well as anyone. I am also a working professional who performs a book test in his act.

So, what do you get for your money. Well, you don't get the three books necessary for the test. Brad couldn't afford to sell the test for the price he sells it if it included the books. But that's not a problem at all. You can purchase the books you need from any one of several sources, either on or off-line.

What you DO get is what counts. You get a 25 page booklet which contains a thoroughly tested routine that will play very big for almost any size audience. Brad has performed this routine for all sorts of people in a wide variety of venues. You can tell it. He tells you what to do and what not to do. Pay attention to that last part. It's important. There is very good material on audience management here that should not be overlooked.

This is a very funny, timely routine. With all of the trouble Martha Stewart is having, it should be good for at least one appeal and a short amount of jail time on her part, so it's not going to go out of fashion for quite a while.

It combines elements from David Hoy and several other credited sources. All of the necessary dialog and moves are in the booklet. Everything is explained in painstaking detail. Nothing is left to chance.

=================================================

There are a couple of statements in my review that might be misinterpreted. One of them is that it combines elements from David Hoy and several other credited sources. That gives the erroneous impression that there is nothing new in the methodology of this routine. This is not the case. There are several new ideas. But even this is not important. The whole concept of the routine and its premise are new.

As I mention in the routine, I own just about every book test that is currently available. This includes MOAB, The Master Key, Ultimate Flashback, Double Vision, all of which cost more than $50.00 and all of which are good book tests in their own rights. I would be more likely to use Brad's book test than any one of these others, with the possible exception of double vision, because that particular book test fits into a mental act that I am currently performing.

There is a surprise kicker at the end of The Satanic Booktest that is definitely Brad's own work. I won't reveal it here. It puts the "icing on the sugar cookie," so to speak.

I hate to see two people that I consider friends of mine embroiled in such a dispute. But Brad has made a very valuable, highly original contribution to the world of magic. And I really don't like seeing him subjected to senseless ad hominem attacks that are based entirely upon hearsay and a lack of information.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Joe Z

Postby Joe Z » March 11th, 2004, 10:24 am

Originally posted by Mithrandir:
I do not know Mr. Houston as well as I might, nor indeed as well as I wish, but I do know that he deserves our profound respect. Not only has he been doing magic for fifty years, he has lived life, in many places and fashions, and has this to offer in his magical presentations.

This day in age, I would take the advice as a vetran performer, a true sage, such as Opie, over a whole host of lesser magi.
I have been doing magic/mentalism for the better part of 30 years, and semi-professionally for over 25 years. I could be considered an old fart in the magic/mentalism world myself. While I may not be as old a fart as Opie, I have been around long enough to know that mere seniority in this arena does not necessarily equal insight, aethestic understanding, or even sufficient knowledge of this broad craft we find so fascinating.

I don't know this guy Opie, but from what I have gleened from his vicious spewing, I don't care to know him. I only know Brad Henderson from his very well-thought-out and nicely written book on psychic reading technique, "The Dance."

I think I will give Mr. Henderson the benefit of the doubt on this one. IMO, Opie appears to be the "lesser magi."

Joe Z.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 11th, 2004, 11:38 am

Thanks again so much for all of your kind words. For Mithrandir, I can say that I normally have great respect for Opie. I too believe we are better served studying books (my library consists of about 1,600 volumes, so please know that I do not merely give lip service to research) and that much of today's magical offerings are great diversions and toys, but are not really material to add to one's act. I labored long and hard over whether or not to release the routine, but I thought it would be a welcome addition to the literature given that it is a FULL routine. No toys or shiny gadgets, but a real routine that is topical and that you WILL NOT FIND IN ANY OTHER BOOK IN THE WORLD.

Now, can you do some research, spend years performing a variety of book tests, and come up with your own? Of course, but I have been down that path and wanted to share my experience and research with the magical community. I have performed a book test in one form or another since 1988, and this particular release has been in development in one from or the other since 1993. I would hope 16 years of pratical advice would be worth something, no? Further, should you take the path mentioned above, and I encourage you to, you will not come up with the script I have written most likely. So if you want to do MY routine, and I would be thrilled if many people did, then you kind of do have to get it from me or one of the dealers. Again, the question isn't about how to reveal a word, but if a full professional routine you can add to your act is worth $50 (plus all the tips that come from 16 years of presenting booktests before paying audiences).

And again, if Opie thinks it is junk, I would be happy to aknowledge that if he had ever seen the routine or read the book. But he hasn't, and that's why these posts are so hurtful. If he hasn't seen the routine, but yet feels the need to tell everyone it is overpriced, why? Can you tell me? How can he be so adamant about something that by his own admission he knows nothing about? It puzzles and hurts me, but I am thankful to those who have actually seen the routine come on here and given their input.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2004, 4:09 pm

Brad, stop wasting your time on this... you have much better things to do. I'm sure we will continue to hear you name mentioned in the world of magic, and always positively, and the only place you will find the name of the gentleman in question is on some forum... trying to make a noise so someone will notice him.
Greg

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » March 12th, 2004, 2:12 am

Who IS this Opie character? No, seriously...

Why is that some people reach a certain age and think thatr entitles them to mouth off at everyone and everything around them? This is clearly one of those grumpy old codgers who will not even look at you, never mind acknowledge a kind act, as you hold the door open for him.

Others have held him up as a sage, an oracle, and worthy of our profound respect and admiration. Respect has to be earned, and I have seen nothing in any of his posts here that would envcourgae me to respect or even wish to hear any of his opinions.

He sounds like Lewis and Buzzzby rolled into one ;)

Bob

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2004, 5:08 am

I was not going to post any more on this forum. I know nothing of book tests, nor of Mr. Henderson.

However, you fellows continue to outright insult Mr. Houston when he himself is muzzled against reply.

Notice Mr. Palmer managed to give a wonderful review of Mr. Henderson's effect, without insulting anyone.

Shame on you fellows! Old fart? Old Codger? Is that really the best you can do? How old are you fellows? 20, 30, 40, 50? Is youth already slipping by, are you starting to feel the middle aged slowdown? Why make such derogotory remarks?

For my part, I was raised to respect, and honor, at the *very least* tolerate, what you deem the grumpy old codgers. They've earned that right in my book.

But then, what do I know, I'm only seventeen...

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 12th, 2004, 6:10 am

It would be wonderful if age guaranteed knowledge and wisdom.

Unfortunately it only guarantees old men.

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2004, 7:41 am

No sir, age does not guarentee anything. But unless I'm very much mistaken age damn well gives someone the right to speak they're voice without being pulled to pieces for being old. Notice again, that Mr. Palmer disagrees with Opie, refutes his statements without ever attacking him!

I do not understand why you must attack? Opie's original post on this thread was

A.) The routine is not funny.

B.) It is overpriced.

For this he was attacked. And in kind, defended himself. There is no shame in that. But he has now been censored, unable to reply to the degrading remarks thrown his way!

Do I say you guys are fat, short, skinny, white, black, red, or yellow, and so you should be quiet? NO! But you fellows say, "Opie, you're old, and you're grumpy, so shut up!"

This is not correct gentlemen. Let me remind you of the quote, it might have been locke, or voltaire, I cannot presently recall which, but friends,

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will die to defend your right to say it."

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 12th, 2004, 8:31 am

I too will defend someone's right to give an opinion, provided it is an informed opinion.

As Opie had not seen or purchased the routine, his opinion comes from ignorance of the subject in question.

It was Opie who pointed out his age, he assuming age means knowledge and experience which it doesn't necessarily, thereby making himself look ridiculous.

Respect is earned not demanded.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 12th, 2004, 8:34 am

We are done with this particular thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”