THIS CHICK HAS RIPPED OFF CHRIS HART'S ENTIRE ACT!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
magicuk

Re: THIS CHICK HAS RIPPED OFF CHRIS HART'S ENTIRE ACT!

Postby magicuk » September 11th, 2008, 1:33 pm

How can you say this ?

This is the reason this subject gets me really angry because everyone is talking about something which should worry Chris yet he has not done a thing about it.

Why does he not say something about it and takle it ?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 11th, 2008, 1:45 pm

You haven't been reading this thread closely. There is no legal action he can take. What is it about that statement you don't understand?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » September 11th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Magicuk,

What makes you think you have ANY knowledge of what Chris Hart has or has not done about this?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 11th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Here's what makes all this interesting - that the copyists have not asked for help in doing the material they presume to have a moral right to copy from the person whose work they are copying.
If they truly believed they had a right to copy you'd think they would not also be so deluded as to presume to know how to make the material work properly from just distant observation ... fill in the rest of that argument if you can face such unpleasantness.

Hope that offers some perspective on magicuk's begged questions without dragging us down to unfavorable comparisons to creatures which are actually unable to make moral or ethical choices.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 11th, 2008, 2:29 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: The mouse does not choose to act like a mouse.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » September 11th, 2008, 7:17 pm

No MagicUk, I do not think that Chris is not really bothered about Mara ripping off his act, I was asking why YOU have come to this conclusion.

It would appear that you think, if a rip-off clip remains on YouTube, it's because the person being ripped off doesn't care.

Is that what you think? Yes or no?

(I wish people had to use their real names to sign into this forum.... )

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » September 11th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Tim Ellis wrote:
It would appear that you think, if a rip-off clip remains on YouTube, it's because the person being ripped off doesn't care.

Tim Ellis is correct.

They may in fact care a great deal. (I'm fairly certain that Chris Hart and Tina Lenert are not happy with their concepts being ripped-off) .

The problem is that YouTube/Google is seemingly arbitrary about what they will and will not remove upon request.

Sometimes they will go all reactionary at the least hint of legal action and they'll yank a video , even if it is not technically breaking any laws, just to avoid any potential problems . Other times YouTube will ignore repeated pleas to remove a video that contains stolen material or offensive material .

A non-magic example : there are several cartoons in the Popeye series, some of the Looney Tunes , and even the odd Mickey Mouse cartoon that have accidently lapsed into Public Domain. And yet YouTube has repeatedly bowed to pressure from Viacom, Warner Bros., and Disney to yank these Public Domain cartoons from YouTube, even though it is easy to look it up and see that the cartoons in question have a lapsed copyright.

But you see YouTube is reactionary and jumps fast if a big corp. like Disney or Viacom complains , so they'll yank a video and even cancel a user's account if one of the big boys gets their nose out of joint.

Maybe what Chris Hart or Tina Lenert needs to do in the case of the videos that are rip-offs of their acts is to have a letter drafted by an attorney , as opposed to just complaining about it as an individual .

YouTube is inscrutable and very difficult to read or predict how they will react to a request to remove a video.

The other problem is that sometimes requests to remove a video have backfired on those asking for it to be removed if the person who posted the video fights back and if it turns out that the video in question was not technically illegal then it can hurt the person who requested the removal. It can get to be a very dicey situation unless you are very sure that you can make the accusation of theft stick. (theft in the legal sense, not the ethical sense. Ethically there is no question in my mind that Chris Hart's act was ripped off and ethically it's wrong. Unfortunately it's not always against the law to be unethical. The solution here is not necessarily to censor , as in asking the video to be banned from YouTube, but rather censure on the part of the magic community and especially the clubs and organizations who book acts for convention shows. If someone is known to be a rip-off artist then they shouldn't be invited to perform at magic conventions or club meetings etc. Let them feel the disapproval of the magic community, both fans and performers. Maybe the rip-off artist doesn't care , but it's better than just standing by silently ... )

John B. Pyka

Postby John B. Pyka » October 2nd, 2008, 2:44 pm

Not just Chris's act...

Check out her "interpretation" of Tina Lenert's Mop Man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uvxJ5C ... re=related
John B. Pyka
www.johnpyka.com

"Big Daddy Cool"
www.bigdaddycoolmagic.com

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » October 2nd, 2008, 3:50 pm

This woman's lack of shame truly astounds me.

Un-f***ing-believable.
The MacGician®

BertBrown

Postby BertBrown » March 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm

I dunno if this is a coincidence with this illusion, I know it is basically a sword basket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bMcPAD9y2U

I remember reading about it in the stage newspaper in the UK about 4 years back performed by UK Illusionists Reflections?

Return to “Buzz”