Maybe someone's been watching Ricky Jay videos too much...

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brian Morton

Maybe someone's been watching Ricky Jay videos too much...

Postby Brian Morton » February 18th, 2005, 4:20 pm

Look out! Homeland Security will be coming after your Tally-Hos! All because of one senator from Alaska! (snicker)

From today's Washington Post:

Cutting Cards

Senate commerce committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) questioned David M. Stone, assistant secretary of homeland security for the Transportation Security Administration, about gaps in airline security these days.

"Our screening that is taking place now is really driven so much by the past and not really in tune with the future," Stevens said. "Now, for instance, I saw a display of a fellow with a deck of cards that stood about five feet away from a person holding a big carrot and he sliced off a piece of that carrot, just by throwing a card.

"I saw another person," Stevens continued, "take a credit card and cut through what would be the thickness of a person's neck in two seconds, much faster than a knife could do it. Yet, we seem to be really zeroing in on how can we pick up knives? Has any knife been the cause of an attempted hijacking since 9/11?"

"Not that I'm aware of, no, sir," Stone replied.

So people with credit cards -- and bridge players with spare decks -- are now on the "no-fly" list?

From Al Kamen's "In The Loop" column.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Feb17.html

brian :cool:

mark

Re: Maybe someone's been watching Ricky Jay videos too much...

Postby mark » February 18th, 2005, 8:44 pm

I almost wish I had a copy of Cards as Weapons to send the good senator from our Alaska.

Return to “Buzz”