Dan Huffman??

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Steve Hook

Dan Huffman??

Postby Steve Hook » October 3rd, 2002, 11:18 am

Does anyone know what happened to Dan Huffman? He published an interesting Parade in The Linking Ring in the '80s but I've not heard anything about him since.

Just wondering...

Steve H

Re: Dan Huffman??

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2002, 11:23 am

I, too, have always wondered what happened to Dan Huffman. He had some excellent ideas. In fact, he actually had two one-man parades in Linking Ring and they are both worth searching out.

Bill Goodwin

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » October 3rd, 2002, 1:00 pm

Steve,

I located the following URL using 'Google':

http://www.chapel.org/tga/leaders.htm

This may be the 'Dan Huffman' that you're referring to:

"Dan teaches over 150 grade-schoolers each Sunday using a progressive style that includes multimedia, video, drama, magic and puppets."

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » October 3rd, 2002, 3:07 pm

That would be a big change of pace... from the two parades... I always wondered what became of this guy too.

The nose looks a little different, but ya never know. Maybe he worked out a way to do Le Petomaine the Sunday school version! :p :confused: :p

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » October 5th, 2002, 7:47 pm

In some strange way, I always assumed that Dan Huffman grew up to be Dan Harlan.

Thanks for mentioning this, Steve, it was a real blast from the past.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2003, 9:20 am

Howdy Folks! I am Dan Huffman...and am shocked and happy that people remember those Parades. I did a google search a long time ago for my own name and found the gospel puppet guy...I assure you that is NOT me but rather an evil Dan Huffman from another dimension who embodies what I might have turned out to be given my upringing in the Fundamentalist Christian school I attended and the fact that I was actually on a bible-thumpin' puppet team and did gospel magic. Um, it didn't stick. I'm still the faithless fart and poop guy you remember from the eighties. I WISH I grew up to be Dan Harlan because he has better hair. I dropped out of magic for a good long time. I've been under the radar because I haven't been submitting anything for publication anywhere. I've been slowly piecing stuff together for a magic book I might write someday, should somebody actually want to publish it, but don't expect anything anytime soon. Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks and for remembering.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2003, 9:56 am

Add me to the "I remember Dan" list (and that's a good thing.)

Not only did I enjoy your (orignal) parades, I had the pleasure of watching you perform the stuff!

Not sure if you remember me, but, we got together a few times back when I was a magi-kid (in Cincy.) You were quite an inspiration; In addition to creating unique effects, your handling (and methodology) of "the classics" was immpeccable... Inspiring.

good to hear you're still on the "radar"

thanks,
Doug Conn

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2003, 9:37 am

Of course I remember you, Doug! We killed enough brain cells together that the very act of remembering is a feat in itself. Good to see you've placed yourself in the public eye because you surely deserve it. I was there when you first worked out your color-changing sandwich thingy that has been so kind to you. You were very devoted to your craft then and from the movies I've seen of you on the net that hasn't changed a bit. Bless you for your comments about my technique...as I recall you too were impeckerable.

Kent Blackmore

Postby Kent Blackmore » August 17th, 2003, 9:16 pm

Am I the only guy who has ever performed "Booga Booga", Dan's classic coin-vanish-and-reappearance-from-the-nose-on-a-string-of-snot" trick?

This trick, and Dan's other bizarre Linking Ring parades, made him a minor cult figure in Australia at the time. Just goes to show, you never know who's breaking up over your stuff!

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » August 17th, 2003, 10:55 pm

Just want to add that the Dan Huffman parade issues are among the few Linking Rings that I have warned my wife not to throw out. Nice to know you're around, Dan.

Does anyone know what happened to Geoff Williams, the author of "Gathering Dust?" There is also another Geoff Williams who performs magic and posts on-line.

Both Geoff and Dan, in their own ways, caused me to think "outside the box," before I knew what that meant! Thanks.
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien
"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2003, 11:25 am

Again, you folks are freaking me out. Thanks so much.

If you folks like the strange and goofy stuff I would urge you to check out any of the books written by my old friend Richard Bartram. Close-Up of the Damned, Mystification and Trephine have gobs of cool stuff that's way outside the usual. Trephine's my favorite, and not just because he's got tricks with farts, severed appendages and pimple squeezings. All his books have a peculiar look and theme to them apart from the magic and Trephine's little story is a lulu.

Joe Fraher

Postby Joe Fraher » October 19th, 2004, 7:27 pm

I was delighted to see this thread about Dan Huffman. I liked the second of his parades so much that I back-ordered his first one from the good folks at the IBM's main office. I can picture the black fingernails even now. Dan, if you ever put that book together, I--and I'm sure many, many others--will be eager to buy it.

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2004, 1:48 pm

The black fingernails have long been gone as has, alas, most of the hair. Thanks for your very kind words. As for "many, many people" wanting to buy my book (which is still slooooowly being worked on, not due to painstaiking research or attention to craft but rather frequent bouts of lack of interest)...I think the total is up to eight and that includes the two copies reserved for my cat.

Return to “Buzz”