What to do in Vegas???

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

What to do in Vegas???

Postby Mark Jensen » August 15th, 2001, 11:06 am

I will be in Vegas for the Magic...Live! Event. I plan on staying a few extra days. This will be my first time in Vegas so I'd appreciate some advice.

Here are the shows that are a "must see" for me:

Mac King (Harrah's) Tues - Sat 1 & 3
Lance Burton (Monte Carlo) 7 & 10
Sigried & Roy (Mirage) Fri, Sat 7:30 & 11
Blue Man Group (Luxor) 7 & 10

My general preference is the best seat (I'll be by myself) I can get, but at the same time I'd like to save $$$ when ever I can. (I have a feeling this week is going to put a dent in the ol' credit card ;)

Should I call ahead for reservations or just wait til I'm there?

Any difference between early and late shows?

I've been told that in the "old" days you needed to tip "generously" to get good seats, still true?

Any problems doing a 7 pm show at one hotel and easily making a 10 pm show at another?

Any other "must see" recommendations?

Should I try to do the Caesars Magical Empire?

I've got a reservation at the Orleans through Thursday night. Should I just stay at the Orleans through Fri or Sat night or should I move to another hotel? If so, move Thursday, or Friday? If so, any recommendations?

Any other thoughts or advice

Thanks,
Mark

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: What to do in Vegas???

Postby Steve Bryant » August 15th, 2001, 12:02 pm

Should I call ahead for reservations or just wait til I'm there?

Book (pay) now! S&R seats were hard to get when I called a couple of weeks ago.

I've been told that in the "old" days you needed to tip "generously" to get good
seats, still true?

No -- seats are assigned when you make your purchase for most shows.

Any other "must see" recommendations?

I always recommend either of the Cirque du Soleil shows. I've seen Mystere 7 or 8 times and am seeing it again this trip. I've never succeeded in getting tickets to O. Also in town are Amazing Johnathan and Melinda, two very different performers. And don't miss Mike Close at Houdini Lounge, Monte Carlo.

Should I try to do the Caesars Magical Empire?

Yes -- good time. Daryl this week plus Joseph Gabriel and Jeff Lee. I am going.

I've got a reservation at the Orleans through Thursday night. Should I just stay at
the Orleans through Fri or Sat night or should I move to another hotel? If so, move Thursday, or Friday? If so, any recommendations?

Orleans has decent weekend rates. Again, book ahead. These places fill on the weekends. You can't just "stay."

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 15th, 2001, 12:03 pm

Any problems doing a 7 pm show at one hotel and easily making a 10 pm show at
another?

Most shows run exactly 90 minutes. It depends
on how far away your next event is.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 15th, 2001, 6:55 pm

I saw the NYC Blue Man Group. I highly suggest you go to this and not overdo the magic. Nothing like magic fatigue at a convention.
Although it would be a good idea to do the Ceasar's Magical Palace one night since it will most likely be a keno room the next time any of us non Vegas residents are in Vegas again.

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2001, 1:04 pm

Blue Man Group is a MUST see. I saw 'em here in Chicago a few years ago and LOVED it. Liked it so much, i got the CD. Get the CD (Audio)! Also, take a look at Burton, that should be fun. S&R, I'm not a big fan so i won't say anything. oh yeah, which hotel are you staying at?

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 16th, 2001, 5:38 pm

Orleans hotel. I think I mnaged to get the last room under the group rate

Mark Jensen

Postby Mark Jensen » August 16th, 2001, 5:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I've gotten a ticket (great seats as far as I can tell) for Burton, S&R and Blue Man Group (pauncho section).

I also have a room at the Orleans Sunday - Saturday (yes, I'm staying a few extra days).

Anyone interested in talking about sharing a room? email me if you are.

Best,

Mark

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » August 17th, 2001, 11:05 am

Don't take Mac King off your list. He is very good both as an entertainer and magician. It's only an hour out of your day.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2001, 11:14 am

Dear Mark,

Blue Man is serious about the Poncho section! I wore their poncho over a brand new dress shirt and it was accidently ruined by a stray "shot" from stage that hit me just right. That aside, it was a great evening! I've seen them in NYC, Boston & Chicago. It's a great show. Mac King is one of the best comedy magicians alive too, see him if you can. Hope you have as much fun as I'm planning on having!

Mark Phillips

Mark Jensen

Postby Mark Jensen » August 17th, 2001, 11:58 am

Thanks for the added advice regarding the Blue Man Group...I'll make sure I don't wear any clothes I can't live without, etc.

I haven't taken Mac King off of my list, it's just been recommended that I can fairly easily get a coupon to get into his show for free (with a one drink minimum), so I figured that's the way I'd go.

Best,
Mark

PS: In case you haven't heard, Cellini has also been booked to appear at Magic...Live! His book, The Royal Touch is fairly hard to come by. I have a few copies of it and if anyone would like for me to bring a copy for them, email me and we can talk (obviously fast, since I fly out on Sunday am). - I apologize if this sounds like a commercial announcement - I'm trying to avoid that - I'm a collector and I love having my books signed by the author - Just trying to help any fellow "collectors" who feel like I do.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2001, 1:54 pm

I got front row pauncho seat too. If you're worried about clothes, just don't wear any! If you do that, make sure you're not picked to help BMG with a comedy skecth! (Just kidding, of course!)

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » August 17th, 2001, 4:14 pm

I got a "free" ticket to Mac King about 30 minutes before the show outside Harrahs. You have to buy a drink (~$7.50). If you buy a ticket (~$10-12) the drink is included.

Still a great bargain for what you get.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 19th, 2001, 9:23 pm

The Liberace Museum, the Vent Museum and Fremont Street's Glitter Gulch are some of my favorite places to visit in Vegas, but that's just me... :D

Return to “Buzz”