When Magic Tricks Go Wrong - UK TV

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

When Magic Tricks Go Wrong - UK TV

Postby CraigMitchell » November 10th, 2005, 10:34 am

Is anyone in the UK able to record a copy of the special - When Magic Tricks Go Wrong - for me
( ideally on DVD )

If you're able to help out - please let me know - mitch@intekom.co.za

I'll happily re-imburse you for your costs

E4 Mental Magic Week
When Magic Tricks Go Wrong
10.30pm on Thursday 10th November (1 hour) on E4.
"Here are the moments the world's most famous magicians would rather forget. Presented by Barry and Stuart - stars of this autumn's magic series Dirty Tricks - this one-off special mixes performance, interviews and archive clips to give an insider's view on the mistakes and tragedies that have plagued the magic profession through the years... from funny to tragic as props are sabotaged, audiences play dumb, animals and assistants take their revenge, or the magician makes a deadly miscalculation. The show features Derren Brown, David Blaine, Siegfried and Roy, Paul Daniels and a host of memorable magic moments, including the trick that has killed more magicians in history than any other."

Bill Palmer

Re: When Magic Tricks Go Wrong - UK TV

Postby Bill Palmer » November 10th, 2005, 8:27 pm

Which trick was it that has killed more magicians than any other one in history? The vanishing silk with a TT, the Hippy Hop Rabbits or running out of balloons at a kid show?
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Daniel

Postby Daniel » November 11th, 2005, 3:45 am

This was an entertaining show and not quite as scurrilous as the tabloid-style title suggests.

There were some truly wince-inducing clips of various smash-and-stab type effects where the hapless magician came thumping down on the wrong styrofoam cup, and even one mystery magician had taken a volunteer from the audience and was hand in hand with her, (her hand on the underside); unforgivable really and an astonishing moment caught on camera.

There were also a couple of interesting clips from US specials, featuring The Pendragons and their sub-trunk, (their props had been moved by someone and Charlotte was not able to change her costume in time and remained sitting in the trunk at the effect's conclusion), and poor Harry Blackstone Jnr at some big football event having to cope with a litany of disasters with big props and windy weather.

There were a good range of contributors, (including Paul Daniels, Alan Shaxon, Andy Nyman, Paul Wilson, Mac King, Steve Dacri, Jonathan Pendragon, and even the poor lady impaled by the anonymous magician), and after that show there was an opportunity for us over here to see an episode of Criss Angel's Mindfreak. Good stuff.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2005, 6:33 pm

In America fans of the Tonight Show still recall the time when Orson Welles was subbing for Johnny Carson one night and crashed and burned doing some kind of magical effect.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 14th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Originally posted by Mayfielder:
In America fans of the Tonight Show still recall the time when Orson Welles was subbing for Johnny Carson one night and crashed and burned doing some kind of magical effect.
Was that the LONG LONG buildup to a number written on a blackboard that turned out to be wrong?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2005, 7:13 pm

All I remember is that Welles was the guest host that night and when he came out after Ed introduced him the first thing he did was throw ping-pong balls at the audience with the idea being that those audince members who caught them would participate in the effect. I also recall that at some point a crestfallen look came over Welles' face and then he said to the audience "I promise I'll never do this trick again". There may have been numbers on a blackboard for all I know - I just don't remember.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 21st, 2005, 11:14 pm

I believe Don Wayne told a very funny account of this shoot in his Magic Live talk.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » November 22nd, 2005, 5:37 am

Originally posted by Brad Henderson:
I believe Don Wayne told a very funny account of this shoot in his Magic Live talk.
Oh sure, we can laugh about it now...

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

Return to “Buzz”