The Amazin Kreskin, a review.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brian Marks

The Amazin Kreskin, a review.

Postby Brian Marks » June 5th, 2005, 4:45 pm

Mr. Kreskin performed yesterday, aka Saturday in Nyack, NY which is 45 min. north of NYC at the Helen Hayes theater.

When I arrived at 7:30 I was not surprised to fing 5 magicians there that I knew. Magicians come usually come alone to these things, I brought another magi with me. These things are always like a convention.

Theater was half filled and had 500 people. I arrived at my seat and the guy behind me, 50ish in age was telling his wife and another couple how apparrently Rick Jay did the invisible deck for him 30 years ago and he's always wanted to know how it was done. He took magic lessons and was doing it after his first lesson in magic. I told him not to tell them how it was done.

The 1st half of the show started. Kreskin is in his 70's. He started off with some jokes and stories. His timing was a bit off on the jokes. He told interesting stories and went on to the next thing before giving people a chance to react to things. Parts of the audience would laugh but he didnt give time or things to settle in.

He brought 4 people up on stage. One person peeked a card. He brought out the mate. No bad but people thought he would bring out the exact card. The secind person peeked a card and the third person named it after spreading the deck. Very strong. 4th person he brought over to the piano on stage. Kreskin is a very strong piano player. He had the person cut a shuffled deck. Look at a card and had him cut it several times including several face up cuts while Kreskin played piano. Selected card came up on top. A very strong effect.

This was interesting He had the whole audience write things down on paper and put it in several envelopes. This routine was large. I wont describe the whole thing but he called out things and certain audience members stood up and acknowleged what he said. Kreskin would try to go deeper in naming things about them. Mostly didn't work except for 1x really. When things didn't work he a very good way of going about it and moving on very quickly. This lasted several minutes until he brought a teenage gir and boy on stage. Had the girl pick out a slip of paper from an envelope. he slip had a 3 digit# and a illedgible word. He had the girl hold a rope and a boy hold a rope. The girl thought of the # and the boy would say the exact #. Very strong. overall this routine lacked alot of climaxes I think it needed but I also learned alot from watching Kreskin do this.

That ended the first half.

The second half included group hypnosis. i wont go into it but this was much better than the 1st half.

Well, the Amazing Kreskin is amazing.

Pete Biro

Re: The Amazin Kreskin, a review.

Postby Pete Biro » June 5th, 2005, 7:02 pm

When I saw him, many years ago... he KILLED with the linking finger rings (standing ovation).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 6:46 am

"Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Never send a magician to "review " a mentalist.

I was at the Saturday show. K was brilliant. The glossed over Q + A was great. Audience reaction was wonderful.

Stetson

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 7:56 am

Does being a magician disqualify me? Does that mean because I am a comedian I am more qualified to speak about the first 15 minutes? I felt Kreskin's comedic timing was off. As I said the show was good but probably far from being Kreskin's best either. The first half suffered from too few climaxes. But than again, Im a magician, my opinion doesn't count.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 9:02 am

I should also mention the show was 2 1/2 hours long with brief intermission. I am surprised John didn't correct me on this next point. Mr Kreskin was able to keep such a high energy for so long must have been difficult, it must be more difficult at his age. Many mentalists half his age lack the personality or energy level needed to do such a show. The Q & A was good and well received but I thought suffered from too few climaxes. The reason it was well received is because Kreskin know how to hold an audience

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » June 6th, 2005, 9:05 am

Originally posted by Jon Stetson:

Never send a magician to "review " a mentalist.
If the review was more favorable, I doubt you'd post that.

I'm not going to write a long review, but I was sitting next to Brian and I enjoyed the show tremendously. I enjoyed the first part of the show more a bit more than the second part.

Aside from the brilliant performance of his signature trick where he found his check that a commitee hid, my favorite part of the show was watching Kreskin deal with the nutty lady with the crazy hat.

Jeremy

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 10:21 am

I dont understand how being a magician makes my opinion less valuable. I am a graphic artist, a business owner, a stand up comedian, politically independant, etc etc etc. Minimizing me instead of simply disagreeing does nothing.

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2005, 10:43 am

Friend Jeremy,
Yes, I would say that if Brian's post had been more favorable.

Brian,
Nothing personal. Of course everyone's opinion matters. All I am saying is, in reading your original post; the show was being seen through the eyes of a magician. You went into great detail with the card material and glossing over the brilliance of The Q+A, Kreskin's signature piece of finding his check that closed the first half of the program (and the great audience reaction it received) was not mentioned at all. This was followed by a one-sentence description of the entire 2nd half of the show.

I am not trying to "correct you'. I am in full agreement with you (your third post) regarding Kreskin's being able to do a 21/2 half hour show. Such great energy and his ability to hold an audience.

I would like to propose we call this type of a post your thoughts on the performance rather than a "review". Once again, nothing personal.

I would love to get a laymans point of view.

Jeremy said he enjoyed the first half, you preferred the second half. That's great. What a dull world this would be if we agreed on everything.

Are we OK here?

Peace,
Stetson

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 11:01 am

yes were okay

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 2:41 pm

I forgot about the check. Maybee you have a point, John. But what really impressed me was the rope part which I specifcally mentioned. Feeding the #'a throught the use of a rope was brilliant. I have been told John Calvert also used sucha ploy as did Dunninger. To me that was the strongest part of the Q&A. I myself held one of the envelopes used to collect the papers. After the show I was still left holding it and read through some of what people wrote. Very interesting and very telling. Makes me wish he hit more.

JFox

Postby JFox » June 6th, 2005, 3:01 pm

Yes, Kreskin IS amazing! He is in his FIFTH DECADE of performing professionally...he must be doing something right!
What "works" for him is that he comes across as a common everyday guy - with a slightly goofy and/or eccentric personality...and not some theatrical character wearing stage make-up and attire no one else in the audience wears. Audiences relate to Kreskin, and I believe he is perceived as having mental powers, just because he appears so UNtheatrical.
Its a shame that today's young (teen) magicians & mentalists think Kreskin is "old school" and generally dismiss him. That is probably due to George wisely staying away from public appearances at magician conventions and choosing not to release any magician tricks-effects onto the market.
I treasure having watched his Canadian tv series in the 1970s, and seeing him live in performance.
Unfortunately, the public has forgotten the name "Dunninger", but Kreskin will remain virtually a household name long after he's gone, not only because of his longevity, but due to his name being used as a noun ("Who do you think I am - Kreskin?") - as is the case with Houdini. Kreskin is highly under-rated, and sadly it may not be until he's gone - that it'll be realized just what a sensational and influencial career he's had in the field of mentalism.
His showmanship and boldness has always had a strong influence on me. Glad to read how enjoyable his performance was!

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 3:08 pm

The reason I went to the show other than the theater is a mile and a half from where I live is I have never seen him perform. I assumed he retired years ago until I saw his name on the marqee. Had to go than. Well worth it.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » June 6th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Here's a quote about Kreskin from an online article by Mike Perovich:
"I could tell you Kreskin is a nerdy little twit who appeared countless times on the Carson show where part of the fun was his derision but if I told you I saw him live in a theater and he was one of the very best showmen Ive ever seen in my life, Id be hard pressed to describe exactly why. But he was. Ya just gotta be there."
Here's a link to the full article:
Ya Just Gotta Be There

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 5:31 pm

I have been meaning to see Jon Stenson perform at MNM for some time. I want to see what card tricks he does. (The first part is true and the second is sarcatic only to this thread)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 6th, 2005, 6:24 pm

Careful, Stetson will fry you with either mental or physical magic. And he's funny too.
Stay tooned.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 6th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Thats what I hear. And I am looking foward too it. I love funny. If he's funny I din't need anything else.

Ted Leon

Postby Ted Leon » June 7th, 2005, 6:18 am

Brian,
You are in for quite a thrill to witness a Jon Stetson performance. Magical, mystical, and extreamly entertaining.
I'd love to be there!
Ted (Leondo)

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » June 7th, 2005, 7:15 am

I've both seen and worked alongside Jon Stetson at Wednesday Wizardry in the D.C. area -- he just ROCKS.

And by the way, his magic table "[censored] ice cream."

(Hey, that's what he told me. :eek: )

brian :cool:

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » June 8th, 2005, 7:45 pm

I caught him at the same theater about fours years ago. He is very entertaining, puts on a great show...and is a huge star. Still finds his paycheck, after a crew hides it in the audience. The kids love the Hypnoschtick.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 12th, 2005, 10:34 pm

I have seen his act at least 7 times. Totally great and entertaining. He is doing stuff all you guys are talking about and doing it well.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 13th, 2005, 1:55 am

Kreskin is a great performer, and he writes some fabulous articles on the history of magic for Magicol magazine.

Jon Stetson's act should not be missed -- he is first rate.

Matt Field

Kevin Fox

Postby Kevin Fox » June 13th, 2005, 6:34 am

I'd never heard of John Stetson Before the last FISM He was appering with Doc Eason, Eric Mead, & Bob sheets, The man can hold his own in any company.
Kevin Fox
Kevin Fox

Return to “Buzz”