Anyone at the World Magic Seminar

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Anyone at the World Magic Seminar

Postby CraigMitchell » February 20th, 2006, 8:56 am

Anyone at the World Magic Seminar who can update as to whats been on the go ?

Pete Biro

Re: Anyone at the World Magic Seminar

Postby Pete Biro » February 20th, 2006, 8:13 pm

iT IS GOING GREAT... I'm too tired to report, but all is fine. Teen talent awesome, opening show great and Koornwinder on Kaps KOd 'em. The two lads from South Africa having a great time.
Stay tooned.

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » February 20th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Spending my time demoing in the dealer room and having a lot of fun. However this late night session in the Hofbraeuhaus in Las Vegas had too much blue material for my fellow Germans.... what the heck.
A lot of customers told me that the "Woman in Boxes" lecture was very interesting......
All in all so far it seems that a good time is had by all....

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 21st, 2006, 6:48 am

Hi Pete

Great to hear its going well ...

Would love to see your pics ( perhaps you can upload some when you're able to one of the photo sites ? )

Cheers & have fun !

Rgds

Craig
www.collegeofmagic.com

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » February 21st, 2006, 4:05 pm

Hey Peat,

If you run into Thomas Wayne, maybe you could ask him about the buck-seventy-five he stiffed me for over a year ago.

Cheers,
McF

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 21st, 2006, 4:24 pm

He's not here, sorry.

Koornwinder, Caveney and I did the Kaps
Tribute Lecture and it went extremely well.

The International Challenge show just ended and a guy from France KOd the audience... he was HILARIOUS... we'll see what the Vote count says.

Teen Challenge finals in the morning, got it down to final 8 and they are ALL TERRIFIC.

Too much to think about right now, but I will say it is going well.

Dean Dill benefit show was standing room only with AYE JAYE aS GREAT MC... others volunteer acts included Mac King, Mike Caveney, Criss Angel, Penn & Teller, Tomsoni & Co., Max Maven, Tony Binarelli and others....

Bowling with the Stars was a killer event with Criss Angel and Amazing Jonathan bowling two balls at a time as well as running down the lane with the ball until they were two feet from the pins...

Will post results when known.

stay tooned
Stay tooned.

Nathan Kranzo

Postby Nathan Kranzo » February 22nd, 2006, 9:12 pm

Originally posted by Bill McFadden:
Hey Peat,

If you run into Thomas Wayne, maybe you could ask him about the buck-seventy-five he stiffed me for over a year ago.

Cheers,
McF
AHAHAHAHAHA.....

Thanks for that Bill. That made my night.

All the best,

Kranzo

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2006, 10:57 pm

can you please post who won the bowling thing??

thanx *wink*

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2006, 10:59 pm

Here is an opinion based brief run down

Biro was a superstar - his camera was flashing every minute! Good job

Criss is NOT a bad guy...actually, surprisingly quite "normal" and very nice

Handsome Jack fooled me...(pretty badly)

The Dancing Cane and Silk Fountain are NOT good tricks

Jon Armstong really does have superpowers

Goldenhersh is going down in "DC" magic history (ask him)

Amazing Jonathan is on crack

Mr. Burger & Mr. Maven are two of the best performers in our business

Roy is doing better

Paul Harris would make a great bouncer

Mr. Williamson is about 7'2", Roth is about 5'1"

Penn was right, clear cups don't make any sense!

McBride is...well...McBride

Chris Kenner has a lot of money

and the best thing that happened at the seminar in Las Vegas....the coffee mug fell off!!!

John Tudor

Postby John Tudor » February 23rd, 2006, 8:18 am

How about the Art Of Illusion Film Festival?
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2006, 8:25 am

Jean Luc Bertrand with the help of David Stone won the first prize.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally posted by TheMagicApple:

Amazing Jonathan is on crack

Not again!?!

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2006, 11:31 am

A few of the AOI films were GREAT! Kenner made a few fun films as well (Southpark Parody)- plus Lee Asher showed us a 10 minute bit when he followed Ammar around for a lecture tour.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2006, 12:09 pm

would you please elaborate on the films you thought were great? how about the winning films? What were their concepts, story, emotion, production value, overall entertainment, etc. I was not able to attend and would appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

thanks!

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 23rd, 2006, 12:48 pm

Can someone pls post a detailed report on the final Awards Show ... results plus details of S&R's appearance ...

Thanks

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 23rd, 2006, 2:13 pm

S&R with Darren Romeo and Lynette Chapell assisting made the award presentations... Roy walked on with a cane, then to show everyone he CAN WALK strode across the stage and back. He's doing a lot better, but still has a way to go.
HIS MIND is 100% and Siegfried had a hard time shutting him up. He has his sense of humor!!!

I JUST got in the door from the airport... WHAT A ZOO the Vegas Airport was this morning... it took me 55 minutes to get from the curbside drop off taxi to the gate... luckily I woke early and gave myself 2 hours to get through security, etc. I know some of the magicians in line behind me missed their flights. Argh...

Bruck Block, on the award show did one of the greatest bits in MAGIC HISTORY... really... Curtain opened to start the show... on stage was a pile of luggage a drum, a ladder and a mike on a stand.

The drum front opened and a live rabbit hops out... he climbs the ladder and is now right at the mike... he speaks...

I won't detail what was said but it was hilarious... and as the rabbit finished his comedy monolog he introduced Rich Bloch, to MC, went back down the ladder and back into the drum.

THIS WAS FANTASTIC

I have not opened my luggage yet, the results of the award winners are in there somewhere and I will get back later with the info...

I will tell you the Comedy Frenchman won the Gold Lion Head and $5k, Kenji Minimura, from Japan, won the $5k SARMOTI and the Junior winner's last name was Dietz.

Sorry, but at my age it is a wonder I remember my own name sometimes.

It was a great week, one of the BEST WMS events ever... Great Tomsoni & Co. were honorees and a POSTAGE STAMP with their picture on it was given to all attendees with a first cover envelope.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2006, 2:20 pm

1st place teen: Sterling Deitz
2nd place teen: Jason Morrison
3rd place teen: Vanishing Vinny DePonto

1st place close-up: Nathan Gibson
2nd place close-up: Galambos
3rd place close-up: I forgot the name but he was from Italy

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 23rd, 2006, 2:33 pm

Sterling Dietz -- still a teenager -- is one of the top half dozen Chess Players in the USA.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 23rd, 2006, 2:46 pm

The Benefit Show was awesome with Aye Jay as MC and acts such as Max Maven, Mike Caveney, Mac King, Criss Angel, Tomsoni & CO., Tony Binarelli, Penn & Teller and many others... was one to not miss. The room was packed, standing room only... and the Caveney and Mac King bit (King in his "invisible cloak of darkness" was hilarious}.
Stay tooned.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » February 24th, 2006, 12:44 am

At the AOI Film Fest, first place went to Jean Luc Bertrand for The Real Secrets of Magic, an extremely funny interpretation of several rules that one should follow to become a professional magician (Be careful with fire, respect the spectators, etc.). Very well done and very funny and I think everyone could relate to most of the segments.

Second Place went to Sean McEwen & Gary Curtis for Happy's Last Wish, about Happy the Clown using his last wish to "fix" a child's cardboard rocket instead of using it to fix his own broken down car. Sentimental, but funny, especially when the kid returns.

Third Place went to David Darkstone's The Meeting, a short about clandestine meeting where a "hit" is being arranged on behalf of a famous magician. Shot from the hit man's point of view, we don't see who he his nor are we told the target, but both become obvious when we see the hit man take the money.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 24th, 2006, 1:42 pm

This was a fabulous convention. I realy loved hanging out and meeting some great new people. (Hey John, I'll be bugging you constantly about Mac stuff now. Nice talking with you.) Did anyone mention the juggling act Chris Bliss did at the opening show? Absolutely killer stuff, and only 3 tennis balls. I'll have some video I shot at the seminar online in a week or two. Thanks to all of you who helped me out.
Pepka

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 24th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Bliss is the best 3-ball ECCENTRIC juggler I have ever seen. And I've seen MANY...
Stay tooned.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 24th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Originally posted by pepka:
Did anyone mention the juggling act Chris Bliss did at the opening show? Absolutely killer stuff, and only 3 tennis balls.
Pepka
Pepka, here's a link to Chris Bliss doing incredibly choreographed 3 ball juggling to the Beatles' "Golden Slumbers" from the Abbey Road album. Is that what you saw? It is fantastic!
http://marketplace.espeakers.com/movie. ... &aid=10558

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » February 24th, 2006, 5:12 pm

I thought the film fest was a big hit. It was nice to see the 5 card stud get the award of inspiration. rock on lee

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 24th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Originally posted by Richard Hatch:
Pepka, here's a link to Chris Bliss doing incredibly choreographed 3 ball juggling to the Beatles' "Golden Slumbers" from the Abbey Road album. Is that what you saw? It is fantastic!
http://marketplace.espeakers.com/movie. ... &aid=10558
I'm not an expert on juggling, but I've never seen anything like this. Is this what Eccentric juggling means? Cause if so I'd love to see more links to things like this.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » February 24th, 2006, 8:53 pm

"1st place teen: Sterling Deitz
2nd place teen: Jason Morrison
3rd place teen: Vanishing Vinny DePonto

1st place close-up: Nathan Gibson
2nd place close-up: Galambos
3rd place close-up: I forgot the name but he was from Italy"

His name was Daniele Lapantini.
Bill Wells

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 24th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Glad to see you got home safely, Bill.
Stay tooned.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » February 25th, 2006, 2:00 am

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 25th, 2006, 5:20 am

Originally posted by Paul Cummins:
THAT was freakin' awesome! [/QB]
Didn't seem to use the music well?

Check out my brother for some technical juggling! This was in a video called tricks you can't do:

http://benjennings.net/flash/index.html

Look at the Basement clip

or also check he mate Jason Garfield for REAL technical stuff

http://jasongarfield.com/

:)

Damian

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 25th, 2006, 6:53 am

Stuart Lightbody & Wade Petersen did the College of Magic proud this week as they held up high the South African flag at the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas ... entertaining audiences with their special brand of SA conjuring.

Wade was a special guest artist on the Close-up gala show - while Stuart Lightbody competed in the Adult Close-up contest.

Thanks to the phenomenal support of the Siegfried & Roy North American Fan Club - these two young performers were given the chance of a lifetime in participating in what was undoubtedly one of the most special World Magic Seminars of recent years. Siegfried & Roy took to the stage amongst thunderous applause as Roy defiantly announced that 'The magic is back' - tossing his cane aside and walking unassisted !

He truly is an inspiration to us all ...

In front of the 1000+ delegates from across the globe, Roy specially thanked Carole Marcil and her members of the North American Fan Club for all that they were doing for the College of Magic ... a touching moment indeed ...

To the Siegfried & Roy North American Fan Club - we thank you. Words don't do justice for all that you've done ...

http://www.collegeofmagic.com/news.htm

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 25th, 2006, 9:17 am

Craig... a mailing address please so I can send you a CD of the boys with S&R (and others). Will email you a sample or two.

Good Lads! :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2006, 10:28 am

I just wanted to say that it was great seeing many of you at the WMS.

Also, MRGOAT, I hope I read you wrong... but did you say Chriss Bliss did not use music well (I am sure this must be a case of sarcasim not being able to be read right but if not... obviously you missed the beauty of this act, I am sure those who saw this at the event can agree this was a wonderful lesson in simplicity...only three balls and wonderful timing.

Also, Stuart and Wade both did represent the college well, I had the chance to spend much time with Stuart and you wont find a nicer, and more honest person.

To finish off I have to say the highlight was the freakin Bunny! I hope Rich paid him the most :)

P.S. Pepka, had a great time hanging out, Next year Bowling will rock!

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » February 25th, 2006, 11:21 am

Absolutely right the juggling was an absolute highlight of the WMS (as is in so many magic conventions). It fit the music perfectly and it did look like the performer was having fun doing it rather than a technical presentation of sleights. Don't get me wrong the material was plenty difficult it did just not look like it was. What a great performance.

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » February 25th, 2006, 11:58 am

What were the highlight and lowlights of the Dealers Room? What was the hot seller this year?
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 25th, 2006, 1:10 pm

What sold well? I don't know about A LOT OF THE DEALERS, but we (Joe Porper) sold a TON of the Poker Chip gaffs (DBL C/S, Shells, Flippers) and showed a prototype coin with a pivoting inner coin that ROCKED David Roth and Mike Gallo (both wanting one as soon as we have them made in real Morgan dollarss (the prototype was an Ike dollar as Joe didn't want to use "trial and error" with a valuable coin.

Jamie Schoolcraft SOLD OUT of all his coin gaffs and sold a lot of Dean Dill effects.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2006, 10:46 pm

I saw George from Viking unload quite a few items - dancing silk and flash paper were 2 of many. Yigal Messika was selling a lot of loops and of course his Spider Pen. He was also demo'ing his Electric Touch...hmmm shock your spectators and pay $150 to do so...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 26th, 2006, 7:39 am

Also, MRGOAT, I hope I read you wrong... but did you say Chriss Bliss did not use music well (I am sure this must be a case of sarcasim not being able to be read right but if not... obviously you missed the beauty of this act, I am sure those who saw this at the event can agree this was a wonderful lesson in simplicity...only three balls and wonderful timing. [/QB]
No need to shout my name!

I wasn't being at all sarcastic.

My brother is the only UK person to win the IJA's 3 Ball open, and has won 3 gold medals. He uses three balls and only three balls. This Bliss chap looks like he could use some dance classes - was very stiff and didn't use the space or his body well. And some choreography. That's all.

So thanks, but I do what I am on about in this instance.

I am glad you liked it though. No arguing with you about this, just a different opinion. :)

Best

Damian

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » February 26th, 2006, 7:55 am

The New York Coin Magic guys, Roth, Rubinstein, Gallo, and Latta, had brisk sales on their new 2 volume DVD on Coins Across (and check out www.newyorkcoinmagic.net in case you missed it). The Rubinstein Ultimate Rattle Purse also sold well, as did the DVD's from Roth and Rubinstein, the videos from Gallo, and the Roth 3 ball trick sold out! David also sold a lot of his Okito Coin box sets, and we all had lecture notes for the attendees.

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2006, 9:09 am

Damian, while yes we each are going to have different opinons, I am guessing that you were not at the event then,and only saw the video. If you saw him live I don't think you would say that he didnt use space well, nor that he didnt use music well, as for use of his body and being stiff, well I don't know what to say...maybe the same feeling didnt come across over a tiny screen for you as it did live, just as I can't say that your brothers video made me feel that he had any better style than Chris Bliss, but I am sure in person he is amazing. Anyway, thanks for sharing the web links with us, and maybe sometime in the future we'll see your brother perform for us and maybe we'll be able to give him the standing O instead.

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2006, 9:43 am

Forgot to mention- One of the highlights of AOI film fest was the BrokeBack Magic Mountain by Chris and Homer. Anyone who has seen the original film will know how funny it was. It was well done in a very funny and tasteful manner.

The winner of the event was also great, the best part was the end, those who saw it know what I mean, I don't want to spoil it for anyone else in case you ever get a chance to see it.

Return to “Buzz”