Jerry Lewis Telethon

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Jerry Lewis Telethon

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Did anybody else see the Pendragons and Steve Dacri on this show? No wonder magic is in decline in the public eye...

Arnie Fuoco

Re: Jerry Lewis Telethon

Postby Arnie Fuoco » September 5th, 2005, 6:28 pm

critical eye,

I only saw the separating the woman in half illusion. Looked good to me (and Larry King). What specifically are your misgivings???
Arnie Fuoco

Terry

Postby Terry » September 6th, 2005, 6:29 pm

I thought the Pendragon's did very well in their segment and represented magic just fine.

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2005, 11:28 pm

too much posing and posturing before anything happens...and extraneous walking and delays to fill out the overlong music. It is not theatrically interesting to see him remove her shoes...it's not sensual...it's silly

P.T. Murphy

Postby P.T. Murphy » September 7th, 2005, 9:23 am

Critiacl Eye:
I am assuming you have TWO eyes. What does the "not-so critical but helpfully suggestive eye" have to offer, that might help pull magic out of this perceived decline?
"Those who do not believe in magic
will never find it. " -Roald Dahl

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2005, 4:19 pm

Originally posted by Terry Terrell:
I thought the Pendragon's did very well in their segment and represented magic just fine.
I agree with you Terry ,The Pendragons are one SUPER act and I never tire of watching them especially their Metamorphosis.
I fail to see how they are causing a decline in magic with the energy they put into their show...
Sorry but I have to disagree with The Critical Eye.
Rennie

Ben Bishop

Postby Ben Bishop » September 7th, 2005, 6:05 pm

I didn't see any part of the Jerry Lewis Telethon, so I can't speak to the quality, hipness or hokeyness of either the Pendragons or Steve Dacri, but I will say this - it ticks me off when a guy comes on the Genii forum and starts ripping into other acts when he doesn't even have the gonads to use his own name.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » September 7th, 2005, 8:09 pm

Please tell me that Steve Dacri didn't use the old "hold out your hand, no the clean one" gag on the telethon broadcast. (Like he does, to a nicely-dressed adult woman, in the promo video on his website.)

That's the sort of detail which would back up your assertion.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » September 7th, 2005, 10:45 pm

Has anyone ever tried to get on this or any other telethon? I imagine it must be difficult and sort of an 'in' thing. Same people every year. I always watch an hour or two of Jerry's every year and still manage to miss any magic he has on.

I saw a lot of comics and music acts that I have never heard of.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2005, 1:21 am

Actually, I was on the telethon two years ago. It's a huge honor, and one of the biggest variety tv shows the US has to offer... to bad it's only once a year. Plus a great charity.

Todd Charles was on this year too. I didn't see him though. I did see the Passing Zone though. Great segment.

If you go to MDA.org you can see the list of all the performers (both famous and not) that have ever been on it. Might take some searching and clicking though...

Yah, most of the magi only seem to be on in the middle of the night, or balls-ass early (my spot was 6 am)

This year they also took donations for the Hurricane relief... it's a classy show!!!

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 8th, 2005, 9:35 am

Rick Bronson and I crashed the Canadian "Telethon of Stars" awhile back. The clip is on my website at:

http://www.davidacer.com/DATelevision.h ... ppearances
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Return to “Buzz”