Creating Magic Interview

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Dobrowolski

Creating Magic Interview

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 2nd, 2023, 10:36 am

Here's an interview and a teach a trick I did recently with my friend Biz from Big Blind Media. I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on or any feedback about the interview.

https://youtu.be/ED7_vnBxuu8

Owen, Rachel and all the BBM family have created something really special. So pleased to be a small part of it!

Stay tuned for a release from me with them tomorrow...

Tom Dobrowolski

Re: Creating Magic Interview

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 2nd, 2023, 12:44 pm

And I talk about more than just creating magic. Some long held opinions you may agree or disagree with me.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 3rd, 2023, 1:24 am

Tom Dobrowolski wrote:And I talk about more than just creating magic. Some long held opinions you may agree or disagree with me.

I had a super busy day today, but I'm glad I was able to carve out some time to watch about a third of the interview over lunch. I am really enjoying it. I really appreciate Tom's warmth, wisdom, humility, and positive attitude. His love of magic really shines through. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the interview.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 5th, 2023, 8:42 am

Thanks MagigbyAlfred. I truly appreciate you taking the tine to listen and for the kind comments.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 5th, 2023, 10:01 am

Tom Dobrowolski wrote:Thanks MagigbyAlfred. I truly appreciate you taking the tine to listen and for the kind comments.

You are most welcome, Tom! I watched some more this morning and continue to enjoy and learn from it. I'm sure a substantial number of other members have watched the interview, as well, although I have learned that many of them don't write a comment, being shy or busy or just lurking or whatever. But that doesn't mean people haven't been enjoying it.

It's great that you had the golden opportunities to build relationships with magicians like Jay Marshall and Jim Ryan, and to learn from the wealth of experience they had to offer. As you mentioned, Jay was 40 years your senior, and Jim almost 50 years older than yourself. Having a great mentor(s) is priceless. No amount of YouTube Videos or even magic literature (although important), could ever be as valuable in terms of developing as a performer.

I really like your approach and valuable advice on how to start off a show. Magicians are too often preoccupied in thinking about the tricks and not considering the people, and looking at things from the point of view of those who will be looking at them.

PS I now know how to correctly pronounce your name -- both the Anglicized (Dobro Wall Ski) and the Polish pronunciation (Dubrrra Vole Ski). The trilling of the "R" is key, as is the pronunciation of "W" as V.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 6th, 2023, 10:18 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Tom Dobrowolski wrote:Thanks MagigbyAlfred. I truly appreciate you taking the tine to listen and for the kind comments.

You are most welcome, Tom! I watched some more this morning and continue to enjoy and learn from it. I'm sure a substantial number of other members have watched the interview, as well, although I have learned that many of them don't write a comment, being shy or busy or just lurking or whatever. But that doesn't mean people haven't been enjoying it.

It's great that you had the golden opportunities to build relationships with magicians like Jay Marshall and Jim Ryan, and to learn from the wealth of experience they had to offer. As you mentioned, Jay was 40 years your senior, and Jim almost 50 years older than yourself. Having a great mentor(s) is priceless. No amount of YouTube Videos or even magic literature (although important), could ever be as valuable in terms of developing as a performer.

I really like your approach and valuable advice on how to start off a show. Magicians are too often preoccupied in thinking about the tricks and not considering the people, and looking at things from the point of view of those who will be looking at them.

PS I now know how to correctly pronounce your name -- both the Anglicized (Dobro Wall Ski) and the Polish pronunciation (Dubrrra Vole Ski). The trilling of the "R" is key, as is the pronunciation of "W" as V.

Thanks! I am so glad you're still watching it and found it of some interest and value.

Yes, I definitely was EXTREMELY fortunate to have known and learned from both of those men and some others. I knew it at the time but think I appreciate it even more now when I see the true impact they had all these years later. To quote Doc "Moonlight" Graham from "Field of Dreams" "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."

I totally agree books and video can help in development but neither are a replacement for in-person. Both of their experience performing combined with their magic knowledge and enthusiasm was invaluable and inspiring. I currently have a small good group of magic folks world wide I rely on for feedback, etc. the "trusted advisors". Another really important thing for me for ongoing development and improvement.

Interesting tidbit Jay Marshall was a stickler for my name being pronounced correctly. He would correct me. LOL! He also discouraged me from using a stage name. It's not all that difficult if you just pronounce all the letters that are there. Admittedly when you see it, it is a bit intimidating.

Thanks for the comments and feedback. It was fun to do the interview and to see your comments. Appreciate it.

Return to “Buzz”